vaccines after one year old question??

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so my best friend just had a baby 2 months ago and now its time for vaccines...well she told her doc that she wanted to wait till her baby is at least older than a year before she starts vaccinations... well her doctor said if that's the case then she might as well not even get some of them bc after 1 the window is passed and it really wouldn't do her any good to get them.

So what she was wondering was...which vaccines are pointless after a year and which could she still get. And if some are pointless after a year does that mean that after a year the likelyhood that the particular disease will be deadly has passed?

She said she knows he was trying to scare her into getting them so she didn't wanna ask him these questions bc she wants an unbiased answer.

I myself don't vaccinate at all at this point so I really don't know the answer and my reason for not vaccinating was mainly based on a extensive family history of alleric and bad reactions to numerous vaccines sooo I didn't do really deep research.

Any help with her questions would be appreciated
May 10th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that babies are most at risk of having complications from things like pertussis, influenza and rotavirus when they are under 1. After a year it seems those diseases, or complications from having them are easier to recover from. If she wants to vaccinate, it's not like "there's no point" to getting them after a year, but the risk of serious complications would be greatly reduced, thus making some vaccines "useless" from a risk/benefit standpoint. This is sort of the reasoning for us not doing certain vaccines at all!

May 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ahhh I see...I never really knew that since I had medical reason to not vaccinate....I think she was hoping there was no real need for them...she's a SAHM like me and she doesn't even take babyout to places like walmart...so she felt there really wasn't much chance of baby getting exposed to diseases in first place.
May 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
The main one that is a concern is Pertussis because when adults have it, it mimics a bad cold. I agree that the benefits versus risks is the main thing after one. Not that they aren't effective just that at that point the child isn't at a serious risk from the infections that are hardest on young ones. Rotavirus could still put a child in the hospital from dehydration but they aren't at risk of dying from the virus itself it if that makes sense.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah...what they said....however....knowing signs and treatment and when to seek medical help etc will be better knowledge to arm yourself (or herself) with....getting a couple books on raising a vaccine free child (there are a few listed in the sticky (welcome to CNTV) ).....Sounds like a new doctor would be great too....I dont agree with scare tactics or using them on mothers trying to do their best....but that is me...I dont tolerate it...and have a hard time knowing others have to put up with that kind of treatment! *sigh*....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search