My baby is sick:(

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 07:45 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Maddie is sick. Not exactly sure with what...she had a little runny nose on Friday, but acted fine. Saturday we took her out and she fell asleep a good 2 hours before her usual nap time. She woke up from her nap with a 102 temp. Was up to 103 by bedtime. She slept on me most of the day and when she'd wake up she'd cry like she was in pain and couldn't get comfortable--body aches, I'm guessing. Sunday she woke up, no temp, cranky and clingy, but ok. Then after nap, 103 temp again, sleeping on me all afternoon. Then basically a repeat today. She has been eating ok, not as much, but she'll do yogurt and applesauce and string cheese. I feel she's doing pretty good with drinking water, I'd say about 8-10 oz of water, and 6-8 oz of milk each day. No diarrhea. She threw up this morning, but it was clear, and seemed more like a reaction to coughing.

We haven't medicated her at all. I read up on fevers and felt confident that it was doing its job, and I didn't need to get her anything. My MIL is freaking out, and thinking we are horrible for not giving her anything, so last night I decided to look up fevers online. Although I felt reassured by some of the stuff, almost everything said call your dr if fever is over 101 in a baby under 2. So then I start feeling like a bad mom. And then my mom, who is totally against medicating, even said that 3 days is a long time for a fever, so now I'm worried. I'm calling our dr in the morning, she's an ND, so I'm hoping she'll at least be on my side with the no medicine, but maybe she can just ease my mind a little. Part of me feels very calm and like I am doing the right thing with her, but another tiny part of course has that "what if"

I am pretty happy that I've held off on medicating this long. I always said I wouldn't, but had never been in the situation to prove it.

Anyways...not sure what I'm looking for here. Advice? Confirmation that I'm doing the right thing? I don't know...thanks for listening to me

June 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
HUGS....It hasn't been a steady fever for three days....she's had bouts where it was gone...that makes me feel better about the situation. I've had a baby under 2 with a high fever for a couple/few days....usually ends up being roseola...at least in my experience. HUGS though...I hope she's back to herself soon.....and no worries...you have done a great job...NOT a bad mommy...she's staying hydrated and is eating some....and the fever is doing it's job....if it was higher than that for three days I'd be concerned....but IMO with it going up and down and even away on it's own here and there....sounds to me like the fever is doing what it needs to do...and less like an infection of some sort...kwim....if it'd been constant for that long I'd be more worried...

This is obviously just *my* opinion. Keep us posted on what your ND says!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
June 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I 100% agree. Danny used to have fevers all the time under 1. The longest he went without a fever was 9 days when he was 9 months old... At that point we medicated them like crazy to keep them under 102. In hindsight...he would have likely gotten better much quicker and not been so loopy had we just let his body run the way it was supposed to. If her fever was over 103.8 I would medicate it under 2 but try to just keep it under the 104 area. 1/2 dose tylenol, etc. When Danny got the flu back in January he was between 103.5 and 104.5 for a week. When he would start acting loopy or lethargic I would do peppermint oil all over him to bring his fever down. It would usually drop a degree and that was enough to keep him feeling well enough to sit with me and watch a movie. Before that he would be basically limp because his fever was more than his body could cope with at that point. We did Motrin for one day when he hit the 104.5 mark with peppermint oil. Then we headed to the ER because it wouldn't go down below 104.5 even with the motrin...it was stuck like a rock right there. They finally got it down to about 102 with some room temp water bottles under his arms and between his legs and a cool cloth on his head...I refused more meds but his doc's wouldn't tell me anything else to try over the phone. After the ER we just did the water thing when he got too warm. Room temp water bottles in the "heat spots" and a cool cloth on his head worked pretty well in conjunction with the peppermint oil.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
The dr appt went well. I considered canceling it, because she had no fever and was starting to act like herself again, but I went. No fever at the dr, and although she cried when they took her temp and tried to weigh her, overall she did well. Her throat and ears looked good, so they said she probably just has a virus that needs to run its course. They didn't ask if I'd given, or suggest a fever reducer! I was pretty happy about that. She did say I could give her some Hylands Chamomilla tablets just to soothe her. She was still cranky this evening, but at least smiling and moving around which was great to see. I don't know how parents cope with children who are sick all the time! I got nothing done. I just sat and watched tv all day while she slept on me. It doesn't help that DH is sick as well, and acts like a total baby when he doesn't feel good. And on top of that, we got a kitten this weekend. My right arm is all scratched up from trying to keep her away from Maddie while I held her!

I'm feeling much better tonight though, and I really appreciate the responses, I just needed some reassurance that I was doing the right thing.

June 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
This morning, a rash showed up on her neck, back and chest, so pretty sure its Roseola. I looked it up on JM and found lots of stories of mom's rushing their babies to the urgent care or ER, so I guess I'm pretty happy that I remained calm about it!

June 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yep....that was what I thought it'd end up being...every time our kids got sick like that it was roseola....fortunately they only get it once! HUGS and yay for you keeping your cool....My kids are typically about 15 months when they get it...which is about what she is isn't it? HUGS

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
June 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
She's 16 months. I'm glad she won't have to deal with it again. I called my sister to warn her that her kids might get it too. She made a big deal of how 104 wasn't that high and my niece had a 104.5 temp. Ugh. It took everything I had to not mention how she medicates at the first sign of a The

June 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never known it to be itchy.....Hmmm

June 9th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Ugh...I've typed this out 3 times and either my obnoxious new kitten messed it up, or the internet just quit working. So frustrating!

Anyway, not roseola after all. They said it definitely wouldn't be an itchy rash. The NP thought it was an allergic reaction to something, but we haven't introduced any new foods and I haven't changed any detergents or anything, so who knows. I asked it it could be rubella, so she had the doctor some in and he said no, probably just a viral infection from the fever. She gave me a homeopathic remedy for the rash and said I could give her benedryl if she was miserable at night and couldn't sleep. But...I went to the store and the dosage says ask dr for ages 4-6, and do not give under 4 years. That doesn't make me feel too good about giving it to her. I bought it, but I'm really really hoping she'll have a good night and it won't be necessary. So far, so good, she's been sleeping for 3 hours!

Thanks for all the support!

June 10th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm...I'd have to read up on rubella to see....I seemed to remember that the rash usually appears WITH the fever....

OY...keep us posted either way....I hope she got a good nights rest

June 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
She slept 9-9 in her crib! Yay! And this morning the rash has faded. She's still cranky, but I can deal with that!

June 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
weird. It still sounds like roseola to me....with the addition of some allergy???!! Poor thing....either way glad she's feeling better!!!!

June 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I'm glad she is feeling better! The warning for the benadryl is because it is so easy to overdose...kids with respiratory illnesses have a harder time breathing anyway and the benadryl can suppress the respiratory system quickly if the dosages are given too close together or at higher than prescribed levels. The only reason I know that is because of all of Danny's allergies. I checked into it deeply because of that warning as he was less than 6 months with his first bad allergies. He has had to take Benadryl (or another similar med) countless times for allergic reactions that were either really bad or that were irritating him. As long as you use less than what the dosage would be...which I am assuming you would only because that is what I do...if I use over the counter for anything I start with 1/4 or 1/2 the dose...then she should be 100% fine...just don't use it with the flu, really bad colds or anything else that is already making her lungs work harder...Obviously...but some people just don't think...

Okay...rant on ignorance is over now.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah...I've used things for "older kids only" like children's pepto....I usually just half the dose since it's already for children...I think it was a 2 and over so for Olive I halved it...(I can't remember the ages just guessing)....if it would have been a 6 and over I would have 1/4 it.

June 11th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Oh...ok I was a little concerned about the benadryl, and the NP gave me the dosage, I just usually see medication says not for under 2, so under 4 made me a little wary! Luckily, we didn't have to use it!

June 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How is she now? How long did the rash hang around?

June 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
She's all better I gave her the homeopathic remedy for 2 days, and the morning after the first dose, the rash was fading. She's got a little runny nose now, but I'm thinking that could just be teething, because otherwise she is good. It's nice to have my happy girl back.

June 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
YAY!!!

HEY....so...when we gonna meet up next?

June 16th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I've been thinking the last few days that I needed to send you a message and find some time that worked!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search