Who doesn't vax their pets?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We recently welcomed a puppy into our family. He's a ShihPoo and is now 16 weeks old. He has had his first round of vaccines at 8wks old but he hasn't yet had any others. We see a holistic veterinarian who recommends one shot at 16weeks for parvo and distemper only, and then that's it for life. I like the sounds of that but I'm not sure if it's even necessary. Puppies that die of parvo are usually less than 10weeks old and 10% of them had already been vaccinated. Not convincing me on efficacy. He is at most risk of distemper between months 3-6 but he has a rockin immune system as we feed him a species appropriate diet of raw meat with bones and offal.

It's difficult to find a lot of information, although I did join 2 Yahoo groups that have been quite helpful. Any personal experience from my JM ladies?

July 24th, 2011, 04:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I do not vax my cat but she is a house cat.

July 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
stephi1997's Avatar Veteran
We just stopped vaxxing our dogs after talking with a holistic vet. We may still do the rabies vax once every 3 years, but I want to talk to her more on that issue.

We also don't use the flea & tick prevention and only do Heartguard once every 3 months per the holistic vet.
August 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't vax my dogs except for the rabies as required by law but honestly my yorkie has been "due" for a rabies since last year and the other two are due in Oct. We got bullied into multiple vaxes a few years ago, never again. They are not needed IMHO. My hubby does get the bordatella since he gets his dog groomed and they require it
August 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got a kitten a few months ago, and at first I didn't want to vaccinate her, but then for some reason, I thought she had to be vaccinated before we could get her fixed. We waited till she was older so she only needed to rounds of shots. She's only gotten the first set, and I'm considering not continuing.

August 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtKuKi View Post
We got a kitten a few months ago, and at first I didn't want to vaccinate her, but then for some reason, I thought she had to be vaccinated before we could get her fixed. We waited till she was older so she only needed to rounds of shots. She's only gotten the first set, and I'm considering not continuing.
We have a pretty great holistic vet that will neuter without vaxes thank goodness! I was worried about that as well.

August 19th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I don't vax my pets. My cat is almost 4 and my puppy is a few months. I might get the rabie shot from the feed store and do it myself.

Last edited by Happy Song; August 19th, 2011 at 04:28 AM.
August 30th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We only get a rabies shot for the dog every 3 years. He has to be licensed and that's required. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it at all.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
August 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
My dog hasnt been to the vet in over 2 years... He's 6. But we have 2 others. Our dogs are never outside except to pee and poo

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search