newbie here, very interested

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2011, 01:17 AM
Rheya's Avatar sweet baby's mama
Hello ladies, I've been perusing the posts on this board for a few days and thought I'd finally post one of my own. I have a new LO, 2 months old, and two older daughters, ages 13 & 15. My older girls have been fully vax'ed to date and my LO has yet to receive any vaccinations. My oldest DD had some relatively minor reactions to her vaccinations that I was told were normal, developed eczema and severe asthma around 1 1/2 and has attention deficit issues. In hindsight, I worry that vaccines caused or exacerbated some of her problems.

Baby sees a ND who is very open to delayed schedules or non-vaccination. We're trying to do all of our homework, to make sure we make informed decisions about how to proceed. So far neither SO nor I are comfortable giving any vaccines, and the more I learn the more I wish I'd done my research when the girls were little. I blindly followed along with what I was told to do.

Anyway, I'm so glad to find this board. I'm happy to see some fellow concerned parents, in the midst of all the backlash and knee-jerk reactionaries.

August 21st, 2011, 04:37 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
welcome! it is great you have a supportive doctor! our dr is pro vax but is ok with us making an informed decision to NOT vax and respects that. do your research and do what you feel comfortable with. You can always vax later, you can never unvax

August 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome I agree, that is so wonderful to have a Dr who supports you.
August 23rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Rheya's Avatar sweet baby's mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
welcome! it is great you have a supportive doctor! our dr is pro vax but is ok with us making an informed decision to NOT vax and respects that. do your research and do what you feel comfortable with. You can always vax later, you can never unvax
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_piggy View Post
Welcome I agree, that is so wonderful to have a Dr who supports you.
Thank you! Yes, we're very happy to have found such an open-minded doctor. I know when I questioned my daughters' doctors about vaccines years ago my worries were brushed aside quickly and I didn't look farther.

August 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to CNTV! Julian is ADORABLE!

When I first began researching vaccines I was going to pick and choose, and then delay and ultimately decline them all. I'm grateful to have conceived during a time where the vaccine controversy is mainstream info (at least in message board land )

I really like Dr Tenpenny's website for info - as well as her books!

September 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Rozz-berry's Avatar Veteran
Hey playroom buddy! I'm putting my LO on a minimal vaccination schedule- he didn't get Hep B at the hospital the day he was born and he never will. (Hepatitis B is a disease you get from sharing drug needles or having sex, children are a very low risk.) It makes no sense that infants get Hepatitis B vaccinations.

Anyway, we're skipping most of them but these are the ones we're choosing to get:

IPV (Polio vaccine) Polio is a horrible disease that has basically been erradicated due to vaccines. The vaccine has been administered to children since the 1960's and has proven to be relatively safe.

Hib (vaccine against bacterial meningitis) Bacterial Meningitis is often fatal and infants are at high risk compared to the general population. We believe this is one of the few vaccines worth administering.

DTaP. The "a" is important. I have a cousin who recieved the DTP vaccine (without the a) in 1980 and she suffered severe brain damage. Since then the vaccine has been improved significantly, there are far fewer reactions to the DTaP. DTP is diptheria, tetanus and pertusis. Diptheria is another commonly fatal disease that has been mostly erradicated by vaccines. Tetanus comes from bacteria in open cuts, causes lockjaw and a painful death. It is rare, usually in peole over 50 who have never been vaccinated. Pertussis (whooping cough) is making a comeback- is a highly contageous bacteria that seems to be developing a resistance to the vaccine. Nevertheless, there's a big push to get vaccinated against whooping cough because its highly contagious, usually requires hospitalization, and mucus and swelling can stop breathing in small children. Remember the DTaP is more advanced/has fewer toxins than the DTP vaccine.

We're also waiting to administer these vaccines. My son won't get his first shot until he is 4 months. We're not using Dr. Sears' vaccine schedule, we're using the vaccine schedule from the book "What your Doctor may not tell you about Children's Vaccinations." Its my favorite out of 4 or 5 books I have read on vaccines.

DJ Junior.

September 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! We didn't do our research with our first three....my younger two are unvaxed.

The important thing to remember about the DTaP is that while whooping cough vaccine will take the side effects and make them less they still get and carry and pass on the virus....but once they've had it they carry that immunity with them...the next time they get it they will have just a cough not whooping cough....Personally I'd rather know if my kid has WC or not so I know to stay home rather than think it's just a cold and spread the virus...(this is my opinion on why WC is "making a comeback" according to the CDC and such).....

All that said it's obviously YOUR choice...that is the important thing. If you feel strongly about getting certain vaccines....then the wonderful thing is you've made a carefully thought out decision. HUGS!!!!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search