So frustrated!! Trying to find a new pedi :(

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
stephi1997's Avatar Veteran
Hi all! I haven't been able to get on here much lately, so I hope everyone is doing well!

I just have to vent - I am so frustrated right now. We are now searching for what would be our 3rd pediatrician. We left the first practice b/c when we chose them we didn't know what questions to ask and hadn't made any real decisions about vaxing. So when we decided to stop vaxing we learned that this practice wouldn't see DS anymore. No real loss, b/c they also weren't knowledgeable about any of DS's issues, alternative treatments and weren't really open to learning.

We found our second pedi through our chiro who also doesn't vax her kids. At first we LOVED the new pedi, but her office is hard to get to, her staff is beyond awful and since having her own baby she is just spread way too thin. She was borderline rude the last two times I've had to deal with her and getting an appointment with her is a nightmare. I haven't had to make any sick visits yet thankfully, but any "well baby" visits have to be booked months in advance. I had to cancel his last scheduled visit a couple weeks ago because my grandmother passed away and I was a single parent that week and too much going on. I haven't called to reschedule yet, but last time I tried to reschedule a visit they told me it would be 3 months out.

I just don't know what to do at this point. DS is my first, so I want to have a pedi on our team as well as our ND and chiro, and I wanted one we could have a good relationship with. I love the answers that this pedi gives, but as a person she is a bit unapproachable at least lately.

And of course everything is on me - DH just goes with whatever I want. Our chiro met another "vaccine friendly" pedi that she switched her kids too, but I wasn't as thrilled with her and her office when I met her. I think at this point, if I am going to switch it has to be 1000% the right fit.

I thought that well baby visits were going to be important to develop a relationship with the pedi, even though we aren't vaxing, but maybe I'm just wishful thinking now.

And to add stress, my sister is currently in labor with her first and I found out the pedi she chose (just because her friend chose them) is a major vaccine pusher and a HUGE fan of Gardasil.
November 15th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh UGH.....HUGS....we just recently had to switch doctors because of an insurance issue for one of our kids (Rogan)....I asked around to find one that was ok with the parent choosing. If I get scolded I tell them to shush...but I get a good vibe...a friend referred her to me and when I called to set up an appt for Rogan they asked when we last saw a doctor. I dont typically do well visits because it's a waste of time IMO, so I said "6 weeks"...the receptionist said "oh well he'll need some shots then, huh" I said "actually no, we dont vaccinate"...she repeated it to me and I said nope, and she said "ok". I hope that is it. She took it really well I would think if it were going to be an issue I'd have heard something in her voice....

Anyway. HUGS....Also GRR and HUGS about your sister. Do you know where she stands? You might just tell her that...say "I'm ok with whatever you choose as long as you make an informed choice and have done your research...it's your baby, your choice...however...I think you should know that the pedi you chose is VERY against parental choice....it's their way or the highway....I think it would be in your best interest to look for a more open minded doctor" ???

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
November 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
stephi1997's Avatar Veteran
Thanks Martha! I just want a dr who respects my choices and role as parent. I think we'll stay with our current pedi for now. I'll still ask around and look into other offices, but I'm not going to rush into switching.

My sister is on the fence with vaxing, I think she wants to believe it's all safe and good and protective but she doesn't want to really get into researching it. My niece was born yesterday - so healthy and beautiful! I already feel so protective of her lol. I LOVE your statement - thank you! I think when she is home and settled I will talk to her. She hasn't even met the pedi she chose - she had an appointment to interview him but went into labor a couple weeks early. I hope she will at least be open to hearing me. She hasn't said anything about us not vaxing.
November 16th, 2011, 06:02 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
good advice given. my good friend/running partner had a baby and prior to the birth asked about vaxing and borrowed some books (like Dr Sears, etc) and then her ped said "vax or the highway" and they fully vaxed. sigh.

good luck with your ped search. we go to a family dr, so you may want to look for a family dr not exactly a ped.

November 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've ONLY ever used a family doc...the ONE time we had ONE appt with a pedi....she was a vax nazi

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
November 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Regular
i know how the search for a good doc goes.. my abigail hasnt had a "well visit" since she was 3 weeks old and she is 4.5 months now! its bad, i know, but its not like shes coughing up blood or breathing funny, so im not worrying to much about finding a doctor fast.
i also know how the being protective over familys babies go, too! my cousin is 32 weeks pregnant with her first and although we come from a vaccine-free family, i had to make sure she wasnt going to vax! luckily she is easy to talk to and open-minded so there is no doubt that she wont vax. but the pediatrician she picked is pro-vaccine [but she said she was fine with her not vaxing, but still insisted on giving her a bunch of articles and said she will have to sign a refusal waiver..ugh].

my cousin is a little bit of a pushover, so i hope the pediatrician doesnt attack her when shes got her alone. my mother and i went with to interview her so she probably felt outnumbered and bit her tongue then. hoping thats not the case.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search