Whooping Cough Vax while pregnant

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pink_piggy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Velveeta's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Velveeta
We are a non-vaxing household. I am 33 weeks pregnant, and my midwife strongly suggested to me that I get a whooping cough vaccine. Apparently the county I live in is having a whooping cough "epidemic". The most recent data I could find says there's been 180 confirmed cases in my county so far this year(total population is over 700,000). She understood my stance on vaccinations, but still thought I should consider getting the vaccine because of the recent "outbreak".

My older son doesn't attend school or daycare, and my partner stays at home with him full time. My office has 9 employees, and very little exposure to the public. So I feel like as a family our risk is pretty low. We do of course go out to parks, and grocery stores, so it's not like we live in a total bubble.

Does anyone have any good information on the whooping cough vaccine? I'm not likely to start vaccinating any member of my family at this point, but I'd like to do some more research, especially so I have something to tell my midwife at the next visit. Also I'm hormonal and pregnant, and therefore could use some encouraging words

Thanks all!

April 3rd, 2012, 05:38 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i do not have much advice for you. i knew we would not give it to DD so I got it right after she was born.

April 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Passive immunity is the best gift you can give to your newborn. An infant's immune system is not mature enough to fight pertussis, and infection can easily lead to pneumonia. At this age, not only can lung infections be fatal, but can also cause permanent rearrangement of lung morphology resulting complications such as asthma or COPD. Wishing the best for you and your child.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

April 7th, 2012, 12:26 AM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please check this site, lots of good info. From what I've read the vaccine provides no immunity. In 100% vaxed populations, there are STILL cases of pertussis. Whooping Cough (Pertussis) -
April 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM
The pertussis vaccine may not offer long lasting immunity, which is why booster shots may be necessary. It is also the reason for vaccinating pregnant women - to ensure high titers are passed to the unborn child passively. This protection is essential until the infants immune system matures.

The vaccine most certainly provides immunity, albeit perhaps not for a lifetime. Also, the immune system is an intricate and highly variable system. Everyone will not produce antibody titers to certain vaccinations (hence the reason for infection in 100% vaccinated populations) - but is also the reason why herd immunity is so vital.

For just one article citing 100% of infants acquiring passive immunity after maternal vaccination - see here: Seroimmunity to diphtheria and tetanus among ... [Swiss Med Wkly. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

A good review explaining passive immunity transfer can also be found here: Maternal immunization to protect the mot... [Expert Rev Vaccines. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

April 9th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not exactly sure why you are here Becky. This is a room where people have chosen not to vaccinate. I'm assuming you didn't read any of the articles in the link I supplied. Honestly I don't care if you did or not. I'm at peace with my decision and don't need to go to the pro-vax forum to sway ones decision.

Velveeta, please look at the link I posted and all the information that is there. At the end of the day, it's your call, you're the mom and you can do what you feel is best for your family.

Also info on "herd immunity" Herd Immunity - guess what... it doesn't exist! I love how herd immunity is talked about, I never realized it only exists in children Not too many adults I know are utd on anything...
April 10th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Wanted to share this article as well. Vaccine failure admitted: Whooping cough outbreaks higher among children already vaccinated
Avery'smommy likes this.
April 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Team Pink, I'm not sure why you are so closed off to an open dialogue. I am not forcing anyone's opinion, or openly attacking anyone. I'm not sure I can say the same for you.

I did read through some of your sources - did you even bother to look at mine? Or did you immediately discredit them because they did not align with your previously formed opinion??

I responded to this thread because Velvetta appeared to be looking for further information regarding maternal vaccination. Maternal-fetal passive immunity is real and the best way to protect newborns from infections. I did not yell that she should be vaccinated, or pass judgment on her in any way. I simply cited references that discussed the vaccine and passive immunity - and also further explained why pertussis is such a bad infection in a young infant.

I came to this forum to better understand the anti-vaccination position. In the interest of full disclosure, I received my PhD in immunology at the New York University School of Medicine. My thesis work investigated the proteins involved in B- and T-cell antigen receptor recombination. My post doctoral work investigated strategies to prevent RSV infections in neonatal infants.

I look forward to further understanding your position, and of course will be open to any discussions involving the immune system or potential vaccination strategies in the future.

April 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Becky- interesting field of study you are in. A friend of mine is a researcher in varicella and another is a microbiologist following influenza. interesting stuff indeed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search