New and have some questions...

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By anexia
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By mollymalone

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies!

My name is Becky and I'm 12 weeks pregnant with our first! We're trying to make as informed decisions as we can about things and have found ourselves coming down on as much "natural" as we can get. We'll be using a midwife and birth center and hoping for no interventions/medications. I plan to breastfeed for at least the first year. Some of these decisions are coming pretty easily for us.

But some are harder and are much further out of our scope of comfort. We've started looking for a pediatrician and along with that are thinking about vaccinations. My sister and her husband adopted their first last year and after a lot of research they are pretty vehemently anti-vaccine. She's given us a couple of books, one of them being Dr. Sears Vaccine book, and we're working through those. But I wanted to get some more resources, reading and thoughts (on both sides of the issue) to help us be as educated about this as we can before we make a decision.

I will say that some of what I've read lately is very alarming to me - the possible correlation between the DTaP and SIDS, the lack of research on vaccines and specifically on how they interact with each other, and the considerably higher infant mortality and developmental disability rates in this country compared with countries with fewer mandated infant vaccinations. The lack of research in general on the subject really, really bothers me. But then I have the normal fear of endangering my child...

So please, any and all thoughts, opinions and recommended reading materials would be welcomed!

Thanks!

May 24th, 2012, 04:56 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I cannot think of direct resources off the top of my head, but check out Dr Tennpenny (sp?_) on facebook, she has sooooo much info against vaccines, it is really sickening. I thought we were going to delay and be selective but DH was vehemently against any vaxs, so we have yet to do any. A big factor for me was risk vs benefit. At the time the only vax i wanted to do was HIB, however, it had been pulled off the market for a while and when DD turned 2 and i asked the dr, she said they do not give it to kids over 2yo. I will probably do meningitis as a teen for DD and possibly chickenpox if she is not exposed prior and possibly tetanus. But not anytime soon. it is great you have family support in your sister

June 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Amazon.com: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations (9780446677073): Stephanie Cave, Deborah Mitchell: Books

That is the book that opened my eyes.

June 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Veteran
I am new here and Im not totally against vaccinating. I go back and forth a lot. It feels somehow dishonest to take advantage of the fact that most everyone else get vaccines so that its fairly safe for my kids not too. I dont know if that makes sense. But I do have my concerns. We dont get these new supervaccines, we get vaccines one at a time, and we dont get vaccines for run of the mill illnesses like chickenpox and rotavirus. I beleive that its ok for kids to get sick sometimes.
RUNNER25 likes this.
July 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been doing research for 3 years now, ever since we stopped vaxing my oldest after his first round. Something in me just felt like it was wrong and I'm trusting my instinct. Researching can be so overhwelming. I really enjoyed the Dr. Sear's vax book.

As of today I think we are not vaxing at all. I read something that I will never forget "you can always vax, but you can't un-vax." So until I'm 100% sure about vaxes, I will not do them. That may be never.

September 17th, 2012, 03:07 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Even when you do all the research in the world there will always be a part of you that has questions that seem unanswered. In the end it will be a gut instinct as to what you feel is right and what is not. For me, I was flip floppy until I had my son. When I seen him, it was very clear. No vaccines, ever.
birdblue likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

September 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a new mom to be too, and am riding the fence concerning vaccinations. I lean towards non- vaxing, but am trying to research and make an informed decision. I am currently working my way through Dr. Sear's book, and doing some research online.

I can tell that many of you are very passionate about anti vaccinating, and I'm just wondering if I jump on board this forum, am I going to get a balanced view of things? Will I still be welcome if I decide that a certain vaccine is acceptable? I absolutely hate debate, and just want a place to help me make an informed decision.

I don't mean to hijack Becky's thread, but it sounded like we were in the same boat.

September 18th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Of course you are welcome here. Some ladies here selective vax. You will not be judged.
mollymalone likes this.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

September 19th, 2012, 06:15 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! I just get really flustered when big debates break out, and wanted to know I'd be comfortable asking questions.
IronMamma likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Absolutely!Questions are encouraged. That is how we become educated.

I myself do not like debates either, and only because there is ALWAYS "someone" that thinks it's her way or the highway. So annoying.

October 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Super Mommy
We just went along with everything for the 1st year of my oldest son. However, even at his 2 week and 2 month check up it just felt wrong. One thing the pediatrician we had at the time told us was the HepB vax they give in the hospital the day your baby is born often has bits of mercury (I think it was 4 years ago) in them because the hospitals buy their shots in bulk and get the cheapest ones they can find. So, she refused to give any shots in the hospital.

I also read "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You..." that is linked above. Concerning the HepB vax it was saying they believe it is linked to autoimmune disease as well as some cancers. Even though now they give them to babies day 1 about 20 yrs ago they were only giving them to health care professionals. My dad happens to be a PT and was required to get the shot. There is absolutely no history of cancer in my family, but he has it.

It just seems like they are constantly coming out with and pushing more and more vaccines but they haven't been around long enough to see the long term effects. How long they actually last. "In fact, children receive more than 45 doses of 14 vaccinations by the age of 5 years." (What your doctor may not tell you...).

Also, my friend's dad is a dr. and was saying there are some illnesses that you are more likely to get based on your ethnicity, family background, and even nationality. However, doctors are not allowed to say "you need this shot because you are white" or "you need this shot because you are aisian." so everyone gets ALL of the shots. I know that sounds kind of odd but think about history when the explorers gave smallpox infested blankets to the indians. The explorers had immunity from basic exposure or just plain an evolved immune system from generations of exposure whereas the indians had never been exposed in any form or fashion and it did a pretty good job of wiping a portion of them out. Make sense?

We will be doing a select few of the vax but I want to take the time to do unrushed research of what they are, how they are made, if any long term effects/ side effects are known. I can always go get my children the vaccines but once they are in their little bodies, they can't be taken out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search