Well, it's official

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our pediatrician fired us
We knew she was going to, but I wanted to hear it from her. She called yesterday just as I was walking in the door...she reiterated her stance on vaccines, how she has vaccined her 5 month old completely, the statistics for the whooping cough, etc etc, and how completely passionate she is about the subject. I told her I respect her stance on it, but it is NOT something we are comfortable doing at this time, and that we will not consent to doing something with Killian that we are not secure in doing. She then told me, that she cannot see him, its too risky to him and to others in her practice (HOW...if vaccines are so all-fired effective, is my unvaccinated child a risk to her vaccinated patients?) and that we would not be able to find a doc in the area who was willing to see him....
I told her, that we absolutely adore her (which we do, and I HATE that this is what it comes to) but that we have to do what we feel is best for Killian, and that having anticipated her response, I had been calling local practices and HAD managed to secure an appt with a pedi that WILL see our unvaccinated son. She seemed a bit shocked by that.
We see the new guy on Monday, so I am hoping all goes well. We will eventually need to transfer our older son to him too, since once she hears Luke is not getting his boosters, she will boot him out too...which I hate because he her so much. By the end of the call, she honestly sounded like she was almost in tears , which makes me wonder if some of her passion on the subject is "enforced" by the practice she belongs too.....
March 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I dont' understand. D on't they take an oath to care for the sick.. interesting how politics can change things. I'm sorry you even have to put up with that.
March 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Snakes-n-Snails
When we decided not to vaccinate Quinn, our pediatrician fired us as well. I was devastated because we love the ped and the practice, but we found a new doctor and actually like him much more. I'm sorry this happened to you because you are doing what's right.
March 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies.
It's crazy to me, that they can "fire" a patient over this; one would think it was discrimination...but I guess that would not cover unvaccinated chidren either.
I am hoping we really like this doc we have lined up to see Monday. We stressed multiple times that we were NOT vaccinating, and he is supposed to be fine with that, so we will see...I will be skeptical until we meet him.
March 12th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Tofu Bacon
They're actually not supposed to fire patients who choose no vaccinate, says tha AAP. But eh, your better off without her if she's not going to respect your beliefs; it actually speaks volumes about her character. I tell ya, living in one of the hardest states to get an exemption in, if it wasn't for having such a supportive pedi, I don't know what I would do...

Best wishes with the new doc!!
March 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck at the appointment with the new doc! Hope it goes well!

March 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry it came to that. I hope you all like the new doctor just as much!
March 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welll....we had the appointment with the new doc yesterday. He did NOT blink an eye when we said we are not vaccinating. He said we are the parents, and it is his place to work with us and take care of us based on what we want. He did not lecture, strongly advise or ANYTHING. He could not believe that our doc would "fire" us or that she told us no one in the area would see us. He also said that if at some point in time, we decide to selectively vaccinate, want to split the shots up, or anything like that, he will work with us, but its our call.
He was really good with Killian too. My little man is 7 months old, 19 pounds, 29 inches long, and as healthy as can be. He also told us that the slight heart murmur he has is almost gone and will be completely gone by the time he is Luke's age. LOL...He also said by the way Killian holds his feet, he will be slightly pigeon toed when he begins to walk, but that it will resolve itself and is also nothing to worry about. We are going to be switching the whole family over to him, and I also took a stack of his cards with us to our chiropractor appt, because he knows of several families looking for a non-vax friendly doctor. It was SUCH a relief to find a doc in this area who is more open minded and felxible....
March 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
YAY!!! We had an appointment yesterday and got a lot of understanding and no lectures or hassles from my son's ped about not vaxing anymore. It's such a huge load off your mind when you find someone who supports your decision as a mama.

March 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Snakes-n-Snails
That is fantastic!!! Yay for good doctors!
March 18th, 2008, 09:17 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Welll....we had the appointment with the new doc yesterday. He did NOT blink an eye when we said we are not vaccinating. He said we are the parents, and it is his place to work with us and take care of us based on what we want. He did not lecture, strongly advise or ANYTHING. He could not believe that our doc would "fire" us or that she told us no one in the area would see us. He also said that if at some point in time, we decide to selectively vaccinate, want to split the shots up, or anything like that, he will work with us, but its our call.
He was really good with Killian too. My little man is 7 months old, 19 pounds, 29 inches long, and as healthy as can be. He also told us that the slight heart murmur he has is almost gone and will be completely gone by the time he is Luke's age. LOL...He also said by the way Killian holds his feet, he will be slightly pigeon toed when he begins to walk, but that it will resolve itself and is also nothing to worry about. We are going to be switching the whole family over to him, and I also took a stack of his cards with us to our chiropractor appt, because he knows of several families looking for a non-vax friendly doctor. It was SUCH a relief to find a doc in this area who is more open minded and felxible....[/b]

Quote:
YAY!!! We had an appointment yesterday and got a lot of understanding and no lectures or hassles from my son's ped about not vaxing anymore. It's such a huge load off your mind when you find someone who supports your decision as a mama.[/b]

Sweet!!!
January 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
I am from Huntsville, Al too. We are going through the same thing with our pediatrician. She is not happy about me refusing to vaccinate them. I would love to know what Dr. You went to see that accepted your non vaccinated children. Thanks again!
January 19th, 2013, 11:07 AM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow i cant believe she let you go. i bet she was pressured to do it. We are military so we go on base and i was very worried theyd be very strict with it and try to force it but so far we have had great pedis and the one i have now i LOVE and she is so willing to work w us and never hassles us about any of it. right now she thinks we are delaying till my son is 3 but im reconsidering that as well. and i hope she is understanding of that. sucky thing is she leaves in a yeaer and a half to a new base. sucks that u find a pedi you LOVe and you know it is for no more than 3 or 4 years that you will have this dr. w kids its so awesome to build a relationship and have them comfy. i thinkk the military should insist that pediatric doctors stay longer instead of PCSing every few years. anyway glad you liked your new ped dr! i was also told by my pediatrician that they get in trouble if they do not give out a certain number of vaccinations! insane!

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search