20 Week Scan...now really nervous

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi-

This is my first pregnancy and all was going great. I am 35 so I knew my risk of Down's Syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities was slightly elevated. I went for the nuchal and the measurements were great. Combined with the blood test the risk of DS was 1/1200 and Trisomy18 was about 1/6000. The second round of blood showed a risk of DS of 1/7000 and T18 of 1/18000. I was thrilled. Then I went for the 20 week scan. Everything looked good with the exception of the kidneys. The Dr. said she has bilateral pyelectasis in the borderline range. When asked what this could mean she said it is a "soft" marker for chromosomal abnormalities, specifically DS. Of course I am freaking out. There have been no other markers. The sono-technician was very matter of fact. Then when I spoke to my dr. he said it's totally common, and nothing to be concerned about especially given there were no other markers and the blood results showed extemely low risks. Still, I can't help but worry. He said he'll send us for a fetal echo-cardiogram to rule out any heart defects which is also a pretty good indication of problems. Anyone else have these issues? I am not into getting an amnio nor does the dr. think I should.
August 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
That is really scary. Sounds like they are being very cautious to watch the baby's development. Most issues with soft marker in your type of situation have resolved as the pregnancy progressed. I hope this is what happens with you baby as well.

August 5th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Hugs firstly. I'm not a doctor but I'd feel safe saying that I'm sure it's okay. Your NT scan and blood work came back with great results/risks. If your doctor isn't too concerned and thinks this is common then I'd think that's a good sign.

Hang in there. I just had a CVS. I'm 41 and I can relate to all of your fears.

Hugs.

September 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Relax! don't stress yourself out or the baby. I'm sure your baby is going to be just fine. Two people I know have had tests that showed something abnormal in the early stages. BOTH of them have beautiful and healthy, happy babies. Believe it or not those test aren't always the most accurate. I had my first child at 36 and I didn't get any testing done. My baby was 7 lbs, 9 ounces and healthy. Easier said than done but please try not to worry.
September 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Ilovbnamomx3's Avatar Mommy to 4 boys
I'd say not to worry about it since your risk was so low with the blood work and there were no other markings. They look at soo many different things during that nuchal. I'd really take my dr's word for things over the tech.

It's good that you are going for the echo - I think that's normal too sometimes. They did that with me this time around. My risk for downs was 1/150 and all things looked great.. but they still did the echo.

Try not to worry yourself. I am not doing an amnio either. I just feel like the risk is too scary for me. KUP....
October 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
dldavenport002's Avatar Super Mommy
Im going through something very similar. during the u/s the doctor said the babies kidneys are slightly larger than they should be- meaning they are holding too much urine in them. Apparently, it has to do with the valves behind the bladder that keeps urine from flowing back up into the kidneys. The valves havent fully matured so I have to go back for another u/s at the end of Oct. The peri said its not that uncommon and usually resolves itself before birth. I understand how you feel though- it's really really hard not to worry anyway.

~Dani
October 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Super Mommy
Do you trust your doctor? If he says there is very little to worry about, then let that put your mind at ease.
October 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hi, I was going to add my two cents, but it looks like this is an older post. How have things turned out?
January 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
I am going to go for my second set of blood work to test for Downs in about two weeks. I will be 35 when I deliver and I am very nervous.

In terms of your situation, I wouldn't worry. Your numbers are great. Easier said than done though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search