Questions for all mothers or expectant mothers considering amniocentesis or CVS

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Hello! I'm a student studying about invasive prenatal diagnostic procedures, and I would like to get some opinions/insights from mothers who are considering or have already experienced those invasive procedures (amniocentesis and/or chronic villus sampling).

I will really appreciate if you can quickly reply to the questions below (even replying to some will help).

1. Were you over 35 years old when pregnant and considering an amniocentesis or a CVS?
2. Has your doctor recommended that you do an amniocentesis or a CVS? If so, which one?
3. Is the reason why testing is being recommended known family history of genetic issues?
4. Did you accept the doctor’s recommendation to undergo testing? If so, which procedure was/will be performed?
5. Would the choice to undergo testing be easier if instead you could get the same information from a test that used a small blood sample from you and provided results within one hour?
6. Would you be willing to pay (out-of-pocket) for a rapid, blood-based diagnostic test that would pose no risk to your baby? If so, how much would you be willing to pay?
March 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I was 36 when my 4th was conceived and turned 37 shortly after. When I found out I was pregnant, I had expected that I would be undergoing lots of extra tests.
My doctor did recommend CVS testing, for no other reason than it was a routine procedure if you're over 35.
I chose not to undergo the testing for the following reasons: this will be my 4th child and have had no issues; neither my husband nor I have any family history that would lead us to believe there would be an issue; the testing is done so late in pregnancy that I'm not sure finding any info. out would change my mind anyway; I was only 36 when I conceived, if I was older by 5 or more years I would've been more open to it; I've heard of too many people receiving false positives, meaning they were told their baby would most likely have a problem but were born completely healthy; and because I had so many other blood tests and sonograms that showed absolutely no cause for concern.
I may have chosen to do the test if it was a simple test but not for sure due to the false positive aspect and the timing of the test.
If I had any factors that led me to believe to expect an issue with my baby then I would be willing to pay out of pocket for testing. Too hard to put a price on it; it would be on a case by case basis.

Hope that helps somewhat.
March 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
1. Were you over 35 years old when pregnant and considering an amniocentesis or a CVS?
Yes. I was 41.

2. Has your doctor recommended that you do an amniocentesis or a CVS? If so, which one?
It was recommended by my doctor that I have a CVS or amnio done.

3. Is the reason why testing is being recommended known family history of genetic issues?
No

4. Did you accept the doctor’s recommendation to undergo testing? If so, which procedure was/will be performed?
CVS

5. Would the choice to undergo testing be easier if instead you could get the same information from a test that used a small blood sample from you and provided results within one hour?
This option is obviously less invasive than the CVS procedure, however I felt very confident and comfortable with the doctor performing mine. She does thousands of them and it's all she does. She came highly recommended and I had done my research.

6. Would you be willing to pay (out-of-pocket) for a rapid, blood-based diagnostic test that would pose no risk to your baby? If so, how much would you be willing to pay?

Well our insurance covered the CVS test due to my age. If it didn't I would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars for what you are suggesting.

March 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
]1. Were you over 35 years old when pregnant and considering an amniocentesis or a CVS?
39 year old.

It was left totally up to me and due to the fact that i was 28 weeks along CVS wasnt an option.

I had a 1/3 chance of my baby having trisomy 18

my doc said it was completely up to me. she did say that SHE herself had an amnio

i absolutely would. however, it would have to be MUCH more accurate than the current blood test screens they use now. my baby turned out to be JUST FINE after horrid blood results..... doesnt give me much faith in the blood work of pregnant women

Once again, it would totally depend on the accuracy. if it were as totally accurate as an amnio and i was at risk for something (not just for the heck of it) i would pay up to a thousand bucks to put my mind at ease (more if i had it LOL).
March 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2B...again View Post
I was 36 when my 4th was conceived and turned 37 shortly after. When I found out I was pregnant, I had expected that I would be undergoing lots of extra tests.
My doctor did recommend CVS testing, for no other reason than it was a routine procedure if you're over 35.
I chose not to undergo the testing for the following reasons: this will be my 4th child and have had no issues; neither my husband nor I have any family history that would lead us to believe there would be an issue; the testing is done so late in pregnancy that I'm not sure finding any info. out would change my mind anyway; I was only 36 when I conceived, if I was older by 5 or more years I would've been more open to it; I've heard of too many people receiving false positives, meaning they were told their baby would most likely have a problem but were born completely healthy; and because I had so many other blood tests and sonograms that showed absolutely no cause for concern.
I may have chosen to do the test if it was a simple test but not for sure due to the false positive aspect and the timing of the test.
If I had any factors that led me to believe to expect an issue with my baby then I would be willing to pay out of pocket for testing. Too hard to put a price on it; it would be on a case by case basis.

Hope that helps somewhat.
This is exactly me. The only difference is I am PG with #2 not #4.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search