Pregnant at 42

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this board. A brief history:

I had my daughter (now 4) when I was 38 w/no fertility issues. When I was 40, we tried for #2, but were told FSH too high, less than 5% chance of getting pregnant, etc. I just found out that I'm pregnant (we used no fertility treatments, just acupuncture). I'm so excited, but so nervous, b/c I know how high the risk of m/c is. I'm 6 weeks today, and go in for my first u/s next Thursday, the 24th. I'm scared to death of the results. I'd love to chat w/someone who's been through this journey.
March 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congratulations!! so happy for you!

i had my first baby at 34 and had a lostt at 38. i am now 20 weeks along with baby number 2. i turn 40 in 2 weeks

yes the risk is a tad higher at our age, but there are MANY "older" women who are having babies! at my perinatal clinic they actually called me young as most of the moms they were seeing were over 45!

GL and i am sending you TONS of healthy sticky bean dust!!!
March 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HI ilana. I turn 42 in 2 weeks and am 4weeks pregnant. I have high FSH as well and my RE told me we would not be able to get pregnant without IVF and donor eggs. I guess we proved him wrong

I am in the same situation as you - scared very much of a miscarriage. I hope we both make it!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
thanks so much ladies...i'm excited to be able to talk to other 40'ish moms. the internet (and my RE) makes it seem like you have a better chance of being hit by lightening while holding a winning $100m lottery ticket in your hand than having a healthy pregnancy over 40. The RE was kind enough to point out that even IF I could somehow get pregnant on my own "the chance of carrying a healthy baby to term" was very low, which is why i'm a nervous wreck right now. they wouldn't even do IVF for me...told me donor eggs were my only option.

i'd love to hear about both your journeys...

mafiamom...20 weeks is AMAZING, so I hope you can breathe easier at this point. do you know what you're having?

Missy--looks like you and I are right on the same schedule (only you're a spry 42...I turn 43 next Wed! :-))....so let's keep each other posted...I hope we both have only happy news to share!
March 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
What is your FSH level?

Have you thought about joining the November Due date club here? There are a few girls that have gone on to have babies over 40. In fact my friend Lori is 40 and pregnant with #2 and has high FSH!

We just need to keep the faith and pray for the best outcome. When is your doctors appt? with you being 6 weeks you should be able to hear the heartbeat with an ultrasound by now.

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

March 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
My FSH was around 16 on day 10 of the Clomid challenge, and that was two and a half years ago, so I can't imagine how high it is now.

My u/s is scheduled for Thursday (a week fr tomorrow). One of the reasons I'm so nervous is b/c I know they should be able to hear the heartbeat by then, and I'll be crushed if they don't find one. It's tough managing the emotions of being beyond thrilled at the prospect of a baby, yet keeping that reality check.

I'm also feeling every twinge and cramp, and am so hypersensitive to what's going on with my body. I do a "boob check" about 10 times a day...i.e. to make sure they still feel sore. I'm like a crazy person! :-) I also spotted for about 5 days, btwn week 4 and 5, which was scary, but it's been gone for 10 days now.

Have uou had smooth sailing so far? Have you had your HCG levels checked? They didn't even do one with my first pregnancy. Is this your first?
March 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
My FSH is 15.9! Wow, really close in numbers.

I am only 4weeks along and just found out the other day. I am debating weather to get my betas done or not. With 4 losses behind me I don't know if I want to spoil the few minutes of happiness I get each day knowing I am pregnant. I am feeling very pregnant and the HPT's are getting darker so I am feeling confident at this point.

You are NOT a crazy person. I think you should join PAL (pregnancy after loss). We are all girls that have gone through loss or afraid of a miscarriage. What you describe is totally normal!

This is my 4th baby. My babies now are all boys ages 20, 18, and 15. And yes, they are still my babies

Here is a link to the PAL room if you want to join us there.
Pregnancy After Loss - JustMommies Message Boards

March 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I debated on having my betas done, too. The first one was low (91) at about 4 wks 3 days. 3 days later, it was 278, which "rose appropriately", but was still on the lower end of normal for almost 5 weeks. I declined the next blood test, b/c it wouldn't have told me anything. One of my girlfriends had bad betas with two of her three pregnancies; in fact, one went DOWN, and they told her to prepare for a m/c. well, those two pregnancies are now 4 and 2.5 yr old beautiful, healthy girls.

wow..you have BIG kids, and all boys! I have such a "girlie-girl" I can't even imagine raising a boy :-) how exciting to be pregnant again!

question for you: you said you had 4 miscarriages (i'm sooo sorry)...just wanted to know if you had your progesterone level checked. i just started taking prometrium (progesterone) about 5 months before i got pregnant, and they're keeping me on it for the first 9 weeks of pregnancy. wanted to make sure the doctors were monitoring that..it's one of the top causes of miscarriage.
March 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Dear Mafiamom,

Where is your perinatal clinic that most of the moms are over 45? I'd love to find out what they're doing! (I'm 44).
March 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi Ladies!

I'm 42 with my first pregnancy. I am scared beyond belief. I am a little over 7 weeks and I am super sensitive to each cramp and twinge I feel. My first doctor's appt. is Monday. Not sure what that will entail. I am still just getting used to the idea of being pregnant....
March 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilana View Post
question for you: you said you had 4 miscarriages (i'm sooo sorry)...just wanted to know if you had your progesterone level checked. i just started taking prometrium (progesterone) about 5 months before i got pregnant, and they're keeping me on it for the first 9 weeks of pregnancy. wanted to make sure the doctors were monitoring that..it's one of the top causes of miscarriage.
I broke down and had betas done yesterday but like you said they don't really mean anything. With my ectopic they more than doubled and were perfect.

I have had my progesterone checked many, many times. It always looks good but like you, my doctor has me taking it just in case. For me, my losses are due to poor egg quality. I am praying this one is a good egg!

How are you doing?

March 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Missy--

Did you get the results of your beta yet? That's one good thing about my dr's office; they turn the results around same day. Keeping my fingers crossed. As you said, they don't tell you much, but always better to at least hear "better" rather than worse news. Keep us posted!
March 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbeauty View Post
Hi Ladies!

I'm 42 with my first pregnancy. I am scared beyond belief. I am a little over 7 weeks and I am super sensitive to each cramp and twinge I feel. My first doctor's appt. is Monday. Not sure what that will entail. I am still just getting used to the idea of being pregnant....
You should come live with me for the next 8 months, so we can compare notes every 5 minutes. :-) I'm the EXACT same way...looking for every sign, freaking out at every twinge. Scared out of my mind that I'm going to miscarry. Last week, my boob soreness was gone one day, and I thought "this is it, the pg is done". The week before that was spotting that lasted 5 days. Now I'm not feeling nauseous like I did with my first pregnancy, so I'm freaking out that it can't be a good sign.
Are you scheduled for an u/s tomorrow? If not, they'll do the usual high level check-up: blood pressure, weight, etc. Then they'll probably do an "intake", where they tell you important stuff, like to avoid cold cuts. :-)
I'm going for my first ultrasound Thursday, and I'm scared s*$tless.....I'm really scared they won't find a heartbeat, and I'm preparing myself for the awful news.
Let us know how it goes tomorrow!
March 22nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
My betas are going well so far! We go in for our 1st ultrasound on Friday. I will be 5w1d and I know it is too early to see a heartbeat but it will rule out ectopic pregnancy. I had a cervical ectopic in September so my chances of another ectopic are higher.

But so far so good, I just worry every 15 minutes....

How are you doing?

March 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
great news on your betas! i know it doesn't tell you much, but at least it's a positive sign.

i had a big scare today...i started bleeding (bright red blood), and assumed that I was miscarrying. my ob/gyn fit me in for an u/s today (was supposed to be this Thursday), and I saw the heartbeat!!!! They said, according to measurements, I'm actually 6 weeks today (I thought I was 7). The heartbeat was 111, which they said is strong. it's def not ectopic, and now we wait and see.... the doctor also did an internal, and said the bleeding doesn't appear to be coming fr the uterus, and she's not too concerned.

still scared to death, but so excited at having seen the heartbeat. i know the internet is filled with stories about people who saw the heartbeat, and then miscarried, but i'm hoping this one sticks!

please let us know how your u/s goes on friday....i'll be thinking about you, sending positive vibes your way!
March 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
I am so sorry you were bleeding, how very scary. But the good thing is you got to see the baby and heartbeat! Did you get any pictures?

What was the first day of your last period?

Are you still doing the acupuncture? A few girls did the acupuncture in the TTCAL room and had success!

Congratulations on the good appointment today!

March 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
ugh...update today....the bleeding went to light spotting this a.m., which was good. then, this afternoon, it turned dark red and heavy, with cramping. def not a good sign. i spoke w/my dr., and it's just a wait and see approach at this point. i'm so crushed...what a turn of events in 24 hrs.
March 23rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Oh I am so sorry honey. If it comes to that, there is a loss board here on JM full of wonderful girls to help. They helped me through all 4 of mine. I will say a prayer for you.

March 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilana View Post
ugh...update today....the bleeding went to light spotting this a.m., which was good. then, this afternoon, it turned dark red and heavy, with cramping. def not a good sign. i spoke w/my dr., and it's just a wait and see approach at this point. i'm so crushed...what a turn of events in 24 hrs.
Oh, I hope everything is ok. I will keep you in my prayers. KUP.

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I had an u/s this a.m., and they confirmed I was micarrrying. I was bleeding and cramping all night, so there was no doubt in my mind by the time I went in. I've never miscarried before, but you just KNOW.

I wish you all the BEST on your journey, and will keep you in my thoughts that you have a very happy ending!

Tags
high-risk , pregnant over 40

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search