CVS Chorionic villi sampling

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to heartsleeve71
I am scheduled for this on June 1 and was wondering if anyone else has had this? I'm a little nervous about it but would rather know everything is ok earlier than wonder half the pregnancy!
May 4th, 2011, 01:21 PM
amycc's Avatar Super Mommy
I had one done, and it wasn't that bad. They went through my stomach, and the most painful part was when he hit the uterus. I didn't feel anything other than the cramping. I cramped a bit after the procedure for the day, and it was gone by the next day. I just took it a bit easy, and everything else was fine. Good luck, and keep us posted!

May 4th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info!!!
May 6th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
I had one done. It was great. No worries at all. I'll try to find my old post about it.

May 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add my two cents, not to scare you, but to include a story of post-CVS complications...

I had one done, and the procedure itself wasn't bad at all, and no complications in the immediate time following. No spotting, no cramping, no nothing! I rested for two days after the procedure and then was back to "business as usual." We got results ten days later, all chromosomes were perfect!

However...two weeks and a day later, I had a HUGE scary bleed that landed me in the ER - baby was fine (and continues to be, 4 weeks post-bleed) but I had a subchorionic hemorrhage that they suspect was caused by the CVS (and I saw the "best of the best" whose been doing the procedure forever and teaches it, etc....I guess these things just happen sometimes, no matter how great the practitioner doing the procedure is.)

I'm on modified activity (no sex, no lifting, no exercise) until the hematoma resolves itself, which it is just starting to show signs of moving towards...It may resolve in the next few weeks, the next few months, or it may not resolve at all. There are some risks of preterm labor and infection associated with it, as well, but my doctor feels I'm not at risk for those with the size of my hematoma. I can say this: it certainly has been a whole lot of stress that I wish I could have avoided.

It's made me think twice about CVS, if indeed I have a subsequent pregnancy, I think I'd likely just go with a NT scan and bloodwork and then do an amnio if my numbers came back risky. But that's just me, and I totally understand the reasons for having one - I was certain that with this pregnancy it was the right decision for me - it's just that hindsight is sometimes 20-20, and I now wish maybe I hadn't. Then again, the certainty of knowing the baby's chromosomes are all in order is absolutely reassuring...So who knows.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
June 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I had the CVs today! I hated it. At one point I asked if it was over and they said we have to see if we got enough and I said even if you didn't I can't do it again!!! I hate that they say uncomfortable! It was painful and miserable. Going through the skin wasn't so bad, it was when they hit the uterus and pulled the cells that it hurt so bad and cramped up. I couldn't even tell they were done cause the cramping felt the same! I am so glad that is over and I wouldn't have it done again!

Anyway we did get to see the baby boucing around and the NT looked very normal so good news there. I'll keep you posted on the results which will be 48 hours to 2 weeks depending on the cell growth!
June 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Regular
Sorry the CVS was so miserable for you. Hope that you at least got reassuring results and are feeling all better now.
June 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Its 12 days later and I still have no results...I'm dying here!!!!
June 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Regular
Sheesh!! Have you called to bug them? Or are they pretty good and you don't think they have the results if they haven't called yet?

Expecting twins! EDD 11/11
June 22nd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've called 2x and they assure me the fact that its taking so long means nothing bad just that the cells needed time to mature. They said today at the latest!!!! I"M DYING HERE! I'll let you know when i do!!
June 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you at least find out the sex? I know you have been hoping for some blue in your house.

I am having an amino on Monday and now reading this I am more nervous....

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

June 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG, we got the results finally!!! Healthy bouncing baby....

BOY!!!!!!!! I am soooooo happy!!!!!!
June 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Regular

That is absolutely perfect!!! Soooooo happy for you!!

Expecting twins! EDD 11/11
June 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Boys Rock!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search