Depression -- Down & Out....

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Hi, is anyone else struggling with depression in their early stages?

I know it's hormones. I know it's not real, but it's very difficult to lift this cloud.

I'm in my 7th week (due Jan 1st) and I am totally unmotivated and lacking energy and just want to stay in bed all day. I have a lifestyle as a self-employed person that requires that I get stuff done and I have been slacking in a serious way. I just can't seem to get my head on straight. I feel like I used to feel before I got my period, but multiplied by 10! I used to take St.John's Wort the week before my period and that would always help, but there's not enough study done on St.John's Wort and I feel uncomfortable self-medicating while I have this life growing inside of me...

Any other suggestions for getting out of this funk? I'm weepy, staring into space, lacking ambition, feeling dejected... seems to me to be all the opposite feelings to what I *should* have now that I'm expecting for the first time. I always wanted to be a Mother--what's my problem!!

(Oh, I'm keeping a blog about it here: PREGGERS IN CHINA)
May 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took a look at your blog and it sounds like you also have a bad case of Morning sickness. I was the same way and finally went to my doctor - he gave me zophran and I am able to function again!

As for the depression - I would go and see a doctor. They will do a risk assessment with you to see if taking an anti-depressent is what you need.

I hope you get help soon!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Oh, that does not feel good! I am 7 weeks along now too, and tired, but not depressed at all.

With my last pregnancy, I got very depressed during the second trimester. It was terrible, I felt like crying every day and I was so unmotivated. I was finally at the point where I was going to my next appointment to get on some kind of medication for it, when... it went away.
I don't know what to say except, you can talk with your doctor, and I'm sorry this is hard, especially when you have your own business you need to run!

-Lisha
May 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
I agree with Missy. Big hugs

June 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I hear you...I don't have the sadness as much as the lack of motivation. I am a successful CPA, have always been Type A get things done & bamm. All I want to do is sleep. I get angry too, like I road rage easily. Every little thing sets me off. I know what you mean, I know I should feel excited and happy at this time but it's just not hitting me. I am hoping the first u/s makes it feel "real" and I get more excited. Have you had that yet?
June 6th, 2011, 08:29 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beaches - I am totally type A personality as well and I had a hard first trimester. I hope you feel better soon!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

June 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks Missy! Some days are better than others. I think it's hard too since I had a miscarriage last year. It is hard to get excited when you haven't heard a heartbeat yet. I go for my first u/s on Monday, June 13. Once I hear a heartbeat, I will feel more at ease. Hope it hits me then!!
June 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to heartsleeve71
Hey guys, I felt that way too during that time. I started feeling better towards week 10 so keep your chins up. It will get better!
June 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Sounds like me in my first trimester. Just ride it out, (unless you are suicidal, obviously, then you need treatment) and it will most likely pass once you are a week or two into your 2nd trimester. The 1st trimester is exactly like PMS x 10 for many women. Your body is adjusting to the hormonal changes and it can be BRUTAL! I would stay away meds too if you can manage without them. Not worth the risk to the fetus, unless you are going off the deep end. It should get better very soon.
June 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Thank you all so much. It's so nice to know that I'm not alone and that this isn't going to be a permanent state of things. Keeping the blog has been helpful actually (PREGGERS IN CHINA) as it's always good to just write it out.

After I wrote that, I've just been taking one day at a time and now I'm 10.5 weeks along and just holding out for the magical END of my first trimester in a week and a half!!! I'm sort of treating it like a depression and nausea finish line, but of course I know that not all women are the same and I may not have a relief of these emotional/mental (and nausea) issues right at the moment I cross that 12-week marker, but it's nice to have a sense of having a goal. Even if it is only related to the passive passage of time!

Thank you all again SOOOO much.

P.S. The first ultrasound isn't scheduled until my 14th week. I live in China and they wouldn't book me in for until until then. I'm hoping that this makes it feel more real too. I can't wait to see life moving inside of me!!

Tags
depression , emotions , hormones , self-employed , st.john's wort

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search