Joining you:)

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi- I am Wendy, pregnant with #7 and will be 37 in July.

I just hope to connect with other mothers who are in the same boat. It just seems everyone around me whose pregnant are teens/early twenties.

I have a link here explaining my fears:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ed-advice.html

Any input?

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
June 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Oh, wow - that is quite an experience! Sounds like that OB is trying to scare you!

This society is too overprotective and too malpractice-averse. It's a wonder that any of our mothers ever had healthy babies given what we "know" now.

I don't have much personal experience (this is #1 for me, and everything is new), but I sympathize with you. Hopefully you can find a supportive OB.

And BTW, you are not old!
June 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off...yay you having such a big family! That's awesome!

I'm 37, too. I'm having my 3rd child in October. I'm so sorry your OB is acting like that. It's not fair to scare you just because you're over 35. Although it seems to be normal. My OB started with the amnio stuff the first visit. My second visit I talked to him about it and he told me, honestly you're of average age of my patients having babies these days. We talked about first screen and quad screen vs. an amnio and he recommended the first screen and see what happens then decide on the amnio. I would probably find another OB if I were you because it's really unfair that he/she seems to be trying to scare you on purpose.

You're NOT old! I had a complex about being "too old" when I first got pregnant with this baby. I spoke with a friend who just had her second child at 37 and she made me feel 100% better about everything. I was so scared that everything would be going wrong and that the baby wouldn't be healthy, etc. So far, everything's been fine and baby looks healthy. I wish the same for you. Good luck with your pregnancy and congrats on #7!

June 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Hi and welcome

I'm 42 and just had a baby in February. I'm a mom to 3 little boys and now a baby girl. Looking forward to getting to know you. Congrats

June 5th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I first got pregnant I was really worried and wondered if I needed to go to a high risk OB. I'm healthy, never smoked, don't have any personal or family history of genetic abnormalities, am totally capable of normal healthy pregnancies as far as I know. In fact both of my grandmothers gave birth to totally healthy babies well into their 40's. But the fact remained that I had read enough to be concerned because I was pregnant for the first time and was (gulp) "over 35"!

It was one of the first things that I talked to my midwife about. She flat out said that just because I was over 35 did not mean that I was an "older woman giving birth". She said there was no reason to worry about it and that the numbers didn't really start changing drastically until you got to the mid-forties range. She said that everyone is kind of calming down about the whole thing because so many more women are waiting to have their families until they are in their 30s or 40s.

Of course the GD is an issue, but you've been through that before and know that it's manageable, if not the most fun thing ever, right? It sounds to me like you need a new doc. I can't imagine trying to do this with a provider that I didn't trust and that I thought would never listen to me.

And it's nice to have you here... The Jan DDC is full of sweet girls, but most of them are so very young! Course I'm a little jealous...

Anywho... good luck and I hope you can find someone that you can actually work WITH to have a wonderful pregnancy and a healthy baby!

June 11th, 2011, 09:46 AM
HI ladies!

I have been MIA (decided to simplify life a little and get rid of home internet until I can calm down a little about the pregnancy) but wanted to thank you for your support.

I am on the lookout for a new doctor for sure. JUst doing my research

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

June 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Regular
Glad to hear that you are looking for a new OB...sounds like the best thing. I am 43 (almost 44) and had genetic worries. My OB, fortunately, was low key about it from the start....he agreed that we should first do all the 1st trimester scans (NT) and blood test and see what the odds are. He also reminded me we did "roll the dice twice" since we have twins. We decided (jointly) that if they were better than 1/200 we would forgo the CVS and likely the amnio--that was our personal decision--not trying to tell you what to do. After NT scan and blood our risks were 1/300 so definitely no CVS. Then we got the second trimester blood work back last week and our risks went down to 1/2000. And I am 44 next month!! We have the anatomy scan coming up--there are a lot of non-invasive options that can give you clues regarding health of the baby. For us--the non-compatible with life ones are the scariest worries, but at this point I am feeling fairly reassured. With twins, if we were to do amnio or CVS then our risk of miscarriage doubles--it wasn't a risk we were willing to take after all we have been through and this being our last shot.

Anyway--sorry if that was more than you asked for! I'd hate to see your OB's face if I were to walk into his office

PS I am the mom of 8--blended family!! He would definitely freak!!
June 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Elisann's Avatar Super Mommy
Wendy,

Like others have said I would dump that doctor, when you are already feeling stressed about your pregnancy you don't need him adding to it!

I had an easy, uneventful pregnancy last time and gave birth at the ripe old age of 37. I'm ttc #5 now and while I have some slight concerns about birth defects and issues my midwife is very reassuring and helps to calm me when I get worked up about it, I would settle for any less and you shouldn't either!

I hope you find some answers and some peace.

Mom to:
Myranda, 21
Bobbilynn, 19
Madeline, 14
Lane, 2
TTC #5

June 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks again for the welcome ladies Gonna stay for a while, I think

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search