High HCG and Progesterone but nothing seen on transvaginal ultrasound

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hello ladies! I'm new to the board. It's very nice to meet all of you! I have a quick question and concern. Last Wednesday I was considered to be 6 weeks and a few days pregnant. I went to the hospital for a transvaginal ultrasound and nothing was seen. Not a sac, embryo, fetal pole. Absolutely NOTHING. The doc did say that she saw a "clearing" or "passage way" to where it should be. She was concerned and said it could be too early (I miscalculated my date) or it's ectopic. She drew my blood to check my HCG and Progesterone and everything came back as normal. HCG was 4400 and Progesterone was 16.2.

She called and said my numbers were great to come back in for an ultrasound within a week or two. Well, I'm too anxious so I scheduled my ultrasound for tomorrow. I should be around 7 weeks and a few days then.

I'm just concerned because I've read where you should be able to see something on the ultrasound around 5 weeks or with an HCG level over 2000. I'm just wondering why the doc doesn't seem as concerned for ectopic? I'm just afraid.

I've also had a loss of symptoms. Not completely but they are not as strong as before. My breasts were REALLY sore and I had lots of nausea when I first found I was pregnant and now nausea is almost non-existent and breast soreness barely there. Just a little.

I've had some cramping & sharp pains here and there but no spotting.

So my question to all of you is has this happened to any of you? The high HCG and Progesterone but nothing on ultrasound? Just wondering if anyone has come back as still having an ectopic or miscarriage or should I not be worried and be excited that there is possibly a healthy little baby growing inside of me.

Any advice would be great as I'm dealing with a bit of anxiety at the moment.

Thanks to all of you in advance!!!
June 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I am sorry. I have no answers for you. I wish you the best of luck for the best results. I am sorry you are so anxious and hopefully you will have some good news soon.

Gretchen
June 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran
Symptoms come and go with the tide so I wouldn't necessarily worry about that. What would have me wondering is if nothing was seen at the next u/s. I would insist on additional followup because with #'s like that, you should see something.

June 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have any answers but I will say that my OB waited until I was 8 wks to do a transvaginal u/s. If your numbers are still going up I wouldn't worry yourself just yet. As others have said, symptoms come and go during early pregnancy. I had almost no symptoms until 6 wks then they came and went until about 8wks. They stuck around (minus sore breasts) after that. Sore breasts have been sporatic for me since the beginning. Cramping and sharp pains (minus bleeding) are pretty normal at 6 wks. I had cramping and pain from right before my BFP (thought it was AF coming on) until about 9 or 10 weeks. I was told it was my uterus stretching.

Last edited by kara74; June 3rd, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search