Genetic testing-did you do it? Why or why not?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ok, I will be 37 in August and I am so torn trying to decide if we will do the testing or not. My bf and I have been together over 7 years and he had a brother with a disability and working with children with disabilities. So, he keeps saying that he doesn't care.
Everyone that I know has not done the testing.
But then I think to myself that maybe I would like to know if I were going to have a child with a developmental disability or a downs baby.
I am so confused.
The stats say that 1 in 400 in mom's over 35 will have a birth defect...do you really think it's that high?

Ok, another thing for me to think about...I donated my eggs in my 20's. I have a feeling that is why it took us so long to get pregnant. But, I also think that maybe my eggs are actually older than the average 36 year old because when I donated my eggs, they stimulated me sooooooo much and added so many hormones that could it backfire on me now?
Gosh, decisions, decisions, decisions...
June 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
I think you'd find that being 37 is a different to being in your 20s, fertility wise, and is probably what caused the length in ttc. However, you do only have a set number of eggs in your lifetime, so donation of eggs could, theoretically reduce the number of viable eggs.

I think the drug protocol a decade ago would have been quite different than what it is today, and yes, they could have stimmed you too much. I don't know if it could systemically changed your production of hormones for the next decade.

If you feel like having the testing done, then look into the testing. Yes, women do have higher risks of babies with defects as they age and get pregnant later in life. My opinion is that the more time and help you have to prepare, the better.

But, keep in mind, that a lot of developmental delays and other 'issues' can't be seen by ultrasound or by appearances alone. However, if your baby did need extra help, knowing early can help everyone prepare and work to help your baby.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
June 27th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Regular
Hello!

First, congratulations on getting pregnant!! And without the IUI--you go!!

As for genetic testing, it is really such a personal decision--especially in regards to how much to do.

First, there is an NT scan and 1st trimester bloodwork that is done around 11 weeks that I would personally recommend. It is non-invasive and there are no risks associated with it. I agree with PP in that the more information you can have the better you can be in making decisions/preparations. However, do realize that sometimes , although not frequently, you can get a false positive--meaning they think you are at risk but you really aren't. That of course, would cause unnecessary worry.

As being nearly 44 myself I of course was quite concerned. Especially since we are expecting twins so we, as my OB said, "rolled the dice twice".

In 2nd trimester, around weeks 18-20 they usually do a level II anatomy scan and additional blood work that gives you more information regarding chances of genetic issues. It is amazing what they are able to measure!! They look at heart, palate, kidneys, bone length, brain structure, etc. It is not completely diagnostic, but many genetic problems have physical characteristics/issues that can often be picked up during this scan. We were seen by MFM perinatologist that reassured us that all looked well from the results of this detailed scan.

There is the option of CVS late in 1st trimester and of course the amnio later if your odds are concerning or if you "really" want to know definitely.

We chose to forgo the CVS or the amnio--although initially I had wanted the CVS. Again, it is a personal decision, but for me and my DH, we decided we had gone through too much (years of ttc and many losses) to risk any loss, even small, for our twins. Plus, the risk is double for twins than it is for a singleton.

I was blessed to receive good news first from the NT scan, but even better by 2nd trimester blood work and the anatomy scan. I feel MUCH relief regarding those concerns--although I do realize we are not 100% sure. Our odds of Downs are less than 1/2600 (we started with 1/40 for my age!!)

Best of luck to you regardless of what you decide to do/not do! Hope this helps you some--and again, I am not trying to say you must do what I did--just offering my opinion.

Expecting twins! EDD 11/11
June 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really is such a personal decision. I am 42 and our odds are 1:39 for a downs baby. My husband and I decided to have an amino done. We had it done today and we will have the results at the end of next week.

Our level 2 ultrasound came back great so we will find out next week!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

June 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be 38 when baby is born and we chose not to do any of the screening or testing, it wouldn't change the outcome anyhow and didn't want to be stressed out the entire pregnancy worrying about what's to come
June 29th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
We opted for a CVS test with our last pregnancy. I was/am 42 when I had my daughter and we'd had a loss 3 months prior to getting pregnant with her. Due to my age, my prior loss and for our own peace of mind we opted for the CVS. It was fantastic and worth it for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search