Nurse really made me feel old..I'm 35! Not 95!

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Geez you gotta love snooty nurses. I'm 35 and expecting my third child in March. I have a 2 and 3 year old so I didn't even start having kids til my early 30's..not by choice either. I just could never get pregnant before that.

Well I went in for another beta on Friday and the nurse says "you know your high risk right?" "Um, yes I do." being aware that being 35 does indeed make me high risk. Then she proceeds to say "Well I hope your getting IPS done because women of your maternal age should get it done" I'm like ***! I'm 35 not 100!! And although I was already planning on having the screening done I really didn't appreciate her being so rude about it. She herself was about maybe 25 so nothing like a snotty little recent nursing graduate to insult me. Grrr. Anyone else run into this with the medical profession. She made me feel so crappy.
July 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a nurse but my OBGYN.

I saw a genetic counselor today and she was extremely reassuring! Good luck to you!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
July 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks very much. What exactly does a genetic counsellor do? I've heard of them but never really knew what they did. Thankfully my Obgyn is a great guy. He's older and I love his good nature and sense of humor. What did your obgyn say or do to upset you?
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

July 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
35? You are a spring chicken!! I would totally report that nurse to your doctor. She needs to take a course on bedside manner. While she may not agree with people having children at an older age than she is, this is a work environment and she needs to keep her opinions to herself. (even if it was just through body language).

I am 42 and 21 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl. While my doctors office did label me "elderly maternal age" I am not put in a high risk category. So far I have had the same testing and treatment as I did when I was 20.

I went to a genetic counselor as well and she was awesome. She went through my history as well as my husbands and spoke to us about the risks of different things. We decided to do an amniocentesis because of my age and a few family background situations. She was so sweet and reassuring all the way. Never did she make me feel old.

Do not allow yourself to be bullied into things just because you are 35.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

July 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
tell her you want her registration number so you can report her for being unprofessional-she won't be making silly comments like that again

Lucky mother to five!

July 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshyne View Post
Thanks very much. What exactly does a genetic counsellor do? I've heard of them but never really knew what they did. Thankfully my Obgyn is a great guy. He's older and I love his good nature and sense of humor. What did your obgyn say or do to upset you?
This explains it all.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ed-advice.html

And a genetic counselor goes over your history and that of the father's and your families and determines what percentage you have of what kind of genetic outcome your pregnancy might have.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
July 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Regular
When I gave birth to my son 9 years ago I got that kind of response from a nurse....and had "AMA" literally stamped on the front of my folder. This time around...I am turning 44 in 2 weeks and am blessed to be carrying not one, but two healthy babies.

My OB has been great as has the genetic counselor. Everyone has been totally supportive and professional. In fact, my OB has been very supportive these past 3 years when we have been trying to conceive and having lots of issues. Sorry for her rudeness...don't let her get to you, and as Missy said--you are indeed a "Spring Chicken" in our book!!! LOL

Expecting twins! EDD 11/11
July 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJ View Post
tell her you want her registration number so you can report her for being unprofessional-she won't be making silly comments like that again

I'd do the same. Very unprofessional. Ugh. Sorry you had to hear that. Hugs...and you are one awesome spring chicken! xxxx

July 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was seeing an OB-GYN who was very supportive and never said anything about my age being anything special. When I called myself old, he asked me how old I would be at delivery (37), and he said, "37? That's young! My wife and I didn't start trying until she was 38, and she had our son at 42." That put a smile on my face.

At the end of my first trimester I transferred to my midwives because I want a home birth, and they have not treated me any differently because of my age. I did opt to do the first trimester and second trimester screening tests, and met with the genetic counselor, but I've never been considered "high risk."

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
July 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry for that. I just found out we were prengant and I am 35. People can be so rude.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
July 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hopeful
Maybe she is used to teen mothers. Try not to let rude and ignorant comments like that ruin your beautiful pregnancy time.
July 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's awful!

The only thing I ever got was my ob/gyn (who I love) tisked me a little when I became pregnant again after a miscarriage at 39. So every year I see him, I bring in a picture of my very, very healthy, intelligent, athletic son But I was never considered high risk. I was healthy and had a very successful pregnacy & birth at 36.

At 40, I did the genetic ultra sound - just to get another look and the doctor said "what are you doing here? Your healthy and your baby's perfect"

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search