Were my quad results really good news?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Greetings,

Normally I just lurk but I didn't really ask my doctor any questions when she called to tell my my quad screening results. I am 42. I turned down the NT screening because I couldn't take the stress of an ultrasound at 13 weeks since the only other ultrasound I had was the to confirm that I had a missed miscarriage another time at 10 weeks. In fact, I had two ultrasounds to confirm the miscarriage so that really sealed my dislike of them.

So I decided that if the baby was still alive later I would consider some other tests. So my doctor asked me if I wanted the quad screening at 16 - 17 weeks and since that only involves a blood test I said okay. I was nervous when she called about the results.

She presented the following in a positive manner even though she said that my results were "positive" for down syndrome. She said that my normal chance at age 42 was 1/42 for down syndrome and that my test results were a 1/124 chance. She said at my age I was going to fail (have a positive result) no matter what because they factor in age when they calculate the test results. So she said that she made a mistake in ordering it because to not have a positive result at my age for DS I would have to had less than a 1/270 chance which wasn't even possible (because of my age). Then I asked her if I was positive for anything else (like spina bifida?) and she said no. So in light of the fact that I wasn't positive for other things (and that is some useful information) I don't know why she said the test was a mistake.

Anyway, she said that she didn't recommend amnio or anything at this time and would just see about the results of the 20 week ultrasound.

As I said, the doctor presented the results in a rather positive manner and it also seemed to me that 1/124 is better than 1/42. In line of my usual practice of not asking many questions and figuring out things on the Internet later I didn't ask her much. Then I couldn't find an answer on the Internet to whether I should actually be happy with my results... So I was wondering if anyone has any insight? (Other than the insight that I should have just asked my doctor while I had her on the phone? Hehehhee.)

Thanks!

Sarah
August 19th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Hi! I'm Jenny and I'm 39, expecting my first. I'm sorry your quad screening didn't come with more information! I did have the NT scan and at that time, my DH and I met with a genetic counselor who went over everything with us, then asked if we had questions. They did the test and then called us when the blood results came back to explain everything again. I don't think you got all the information that you need. Your chances for Down's did go down and your results sound good. But if I were you, I would schedule a question/answer appointment with your OB or Midwife or whoever is doing your prenatal care so that you can get all the answers that you need!

Congratulations! I hope everything continues to go well in your pregnancy!

August 19th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Jenny,

Thanks! I actually do have a genetic counselor too so I guess I could have called her. I guess I maybe I am unconsciously trying to stay as ignorant as possible about this testing thing because it seems...a bit depressing at my age. Perhaps getting my head out of the sand would be a good idea.

Thanks for the congratulations!

Sarah
August 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Lol! I guess it can be depressing; I certainly felt miserable when we left the office that day, thinking about everything that can go wrong because of my age! But all the chances are usually better than 1/100, which means a better than 99% chance that your baby will be healthy and whole!

I hope you've gotten great news by now, and are enjoying being pregnant and not letting them make you feel like an old biddy!

September 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks!

Well, it turns out that news was good from my ultrasound since there were no anomalies! Of course, that is no guarantee of anything but apparently the doctor was satisfied because she didn't suggest anymore tests, which is good because I really wasn't into the idea of amnio. It is rather difficult being 42 because you can tell that the doctor is just trying to be responsible and give information but one does end of feeling like the oldest person in the world! Hehehehehe.
September 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Lol! I'm so glad you got good news! I am sending you good sticky baby vibes and hope you stay in touch on this board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search