Monitoring baby too closely??

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Hi! I'm Jenny, 39 and pregnant with my first. I am in excellent health, am 33 weeks pregnant, and have experienced not one single problem this whole pregnancy (hopefully I don't pay it all back once this kid is born, lol!).

Today, the midwife said that now that the pregnancy is getting on, since I'm so ancient, they'd like to monitor the baby very closely. So she gave me an order for an Interval Growth Scan. I'm on the fence about it, but I'll go if insurance will pay for it, since when I looked it up, it said I'll get a chance to see the baby stretching, making breathing motions, opening and closing his/her hands, and other cute things. But they also recommend that I go every week from now on to have my amniotic fluid levels checked. If I had ever had a fundal measurement too big or too small, I wouldn't mind, but I kind of feel like why can't we leave well enough alone?

Has anyone else been through this? I know we all have to make our own personal decisions, but was just wondering what others had decided or think they will decide if/when the time comes for you. I don't want to become a "regular" in the fetal medicine office for no good reason at all, but I also would never do anything to jeopardize the health of the baby. Do you feel like skipping these mini check-ups is jeopardizing baby's health, or do you think that they are just overly cautions when it comes to "advanced maternal age?"

Thanks for any input you'd like to share!

December 5th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to heartsleeve71
Hi Christine here, 40 and 2 weeks to go!!! I answered you in your DDC but will here too. I had the growth scan at 32 weeks and they did check the fluid then but the only extra tests i am having now are the nst's which to me don't even need to be done because LO is always moving but I guess better safe than sorry. I would say that if you go for one and all is well, unless they give you a convincing need for more, not to worry about doing any further.

Did they give you a reason why they are concerned with fluid? Will they be doing the Nst's as well? Your not far behind me so whatever you do GL and will be looking for your posts, lol!
December 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I am 42 so if they consider you ancient I can only imagine what they would have thought of me, lol.

I had a pretty uncomplicated pregnancy but ended up doing the Non Stress tests twice a week towards the end. To me it wasn't evasive and gave me peace of mind.

It sounds like your midwife is being proactive as "due to our age" the risk of still birth due to lower fluids and placenta non-function is a little higher than for the girls in their 20's. Of course your health care is completely up to you and if they suggest something you are not comfortable with then deny it. Good luck, not too much longer before your baby is here!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

December 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Christine, thank you so much! I got your message in my DDC, too. They haven't said anything about the NST's; just a sort of generic concern about my placenta. I'm shuddering to think how it's going to be when we try this again in a year or two, lol! Congratulations on your boy!!

Missy, that info helps, too; and now I can be relieved they're not sending me for anything twice a week (not yet, anyway).

I think we have decided to have the interval growth scan; if everything appears normal, then we'll probably decide to forgo the weekly amnio level check unless or until there is an indication that everything might not be ok. I just want to trust nature and my body to do what needs to be done to nurture this little one; in my heart of hearts, I know it will all be ok, and a million extra tests won't do anything but stress me out and possibly cost me my two weeks of paid maternity leave!

December 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
I just had a baby at age 42 in February. I was monitored like a darn hawk! I also had weekly ultrasounds with my first pregnancy in the last trimester due to low amniotic fluid. I think they like to cover their bases with us 'seasoned moms' LOL.

I loved it...a great excuse to see the baby

December 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Well, I don't think that my midwife would have recommended any monitoring due to my advanced age (42 years old) but I had the bad luck to be in a minor car wreck about two weeks ago. I went to the hospital because I was paranoid and ended up there for a week due to some fetal heart deceleration they picked up on the monitor at times. Now I have two non-stress tests a week probably until delivery (currently at 33 weeks). All the doctors at the hospital were unsure about whether the deceleration was caused by the accident or was happening before so...I don't know if this continued monitoring is because of the accident. (Different doctors had different opinions...)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search