New and possibly pregnant with #1 at 39! help!

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mbsn
  • 1 Post By homesteadmom
  • 1 Post By mbsn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I have never wanted kids - my entire life. Was with my last guy (we were engaged) for 11 years, but had problems (mainly no spark left), so left him. I'm now 39 and met the man of my dreams who also never wanted kids until he met me last year. We're completely happy and talking about kids quite a bit.

We're not TTC officially, but have figured that if it happens, it was meant to be. My Mom and Dad were in the same situation (she had me when she was 42 and he was 40 - quite a feat in the 1970s, as hardly any OB would even take her once they found out her age). I know it's different now, but I'm still terribly worried about it all.

So anyway, After my last AF, we had quite a lot of lovemaking during my fertile days - mainly because the bf was going overseas for the next few weeks. I started feeling a bit different, almost the next week - right before he left on 3/22-23 I had some strange cramping, and backache which I thought might be implantation cramping, as it was 9-10 days after I think I ovulated. Came in waves, was not horribly bad, and lasted 2-3 days.

Around the same time, a friend I have not talked to in awhile sent me an email (she lives in another state and has not seen me in months, and only really knew the "anti-kid" me) saying that she had a dream that I was pregnant, so she asked if I am! (On a side note, she was also 42 when she had her daughter).

So this past weekend, beginning on Sunday (3/25) I started having cramping like AF was coming (it's officially due tomorrow) - but still feels a bit different, but yet, the same as if AF were right around the corner. I have had normal, regular (almost like clockwork) periods my whole life.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I went to target today and got one of their Up & Up brand early pregnancy tests. Faint line, but looked positive to me. Still wondering, I went to Walgreens and bought a clearblue digital. Whammo. Says I'm pregnant. But I'm still wondering - could it be a false positive due to other issues, like my age, or anything else? Yes I used the tests correctly. But I'm still nervous that for some reason it's just not true. (mainly because it really feels like AF is coming! )

Has anyone here had a false positive (twice)?
March 27th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran
False positives are really rare. I think they are mostly due to user error (reading the test past the time you're supposed to read it, thinking an evaporation line is a positive, stuff like that) and then there are some drugs that contain HCG that would give a false positive. I happened to have a false positive on a cheap digital test once, but it turns out the tests were recalled.

So if you're not on any weird fertility drugs, and you're confident you read the non-digital test right, then two positives pretty assuredly indicate you're pregnant.

Congrats. :-)

It's good to be cautiously optimistic, though. Since we're on the older side, we've got a higher chance of miscarriage (20-35% I've read), but we'll all think happy sticky baby thoughts for you. Sorry to be a downer there, but I've had multiple losses, and I've found it much easier to deal with them when I was cautiously optimistic from the start.
DaphneDog likes this.

March 27th, 2012, 06:10 PM
THanks so much! It really does feel like AF is coming, but I know that everything I'm experiencing there may also be a PG symptom. I am def. being cautiously optomistic! Will probably test again and again in the next week or two if AF doesnt show! Overkill, I know - but I'm just in shock!

March 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran
The Dollar Tree sells non-digital tests for $1. It's a fairly cheap way to go test crazy. :-)

Just remember not to panic if the line doesn't seem to be getting darker. A positive's a positive. The darkness is irrelevant. I've seen too many women drive themselves crazy by taking a gazillion tests and trying to compare them day to day.

I don't know how typical this is, but my insurance fully covers the nurse visit to get a pregnancy confirmed so I've always gone in immediately after my home positives to get confirmation and ease my mind that I wasn't imagining a line on the test.

March 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I think by Friday, If AF doesn't come, and I have more positives (I have one more target test and two more clearblue), I will set up an appt with a GP first for a pee and blood test. I'm fairly new to the area, and haven't found an OBGYN yet. I've been here since October and FINALLY just found a hair salon and stylist I like on Saturday LOL! Still need to find a dentist as well!

Last edited by DaphneDog; March 27th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
March 28th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Veteran
Sounds like your pg to me! Remember, many women have a period their first month or two of pregnancy. And sometimes just the bit of cramping around that time. Good luck!!

I'm 41, this is my fourth pregnancy. And it's going well. Yes, there are a few more risks, but there are lots, and lots of healthy pregnancies/babies at this age too
DaphneDog likes this.

This is baby number 4! We are team Yellow!
March 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks so much, ladies! I'm officially in the freaking out stage now - all the signs are there. Even feeling a bit queasy off and on today.

Making an appt with my GP to get a test on Friday or Monday (haven't heard back yet as to when they can get me in). I know that OBs wont usually see you until 8wks, but do they like to see us sooner because we're a bit older? Is that something I should do ASAP?

I'm new to the area I'm in now, so know NO OBGYNs yet!
March 29th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Veteran
Yay!

I would call them to schedule an appointment and ask them at that time if they want to see you earlier because of your age. My ob wants to see you between 7 and 8 weeks regardless of age or risk. I'd try to get the appointment on the calendar soon just because the next four weeks of waiting are mental torture and knowing when you get to have your big appointment makes the wait a tiny bit easier.
DaphneDog likes this.

March 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks! I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. Just with my GP - hoping she can recommend an OB and tell me when I should have the initial appointment. I'm assuming 8 weeks, but you never know. And you're right - just getting it on the calendar will be a relief.

As will having the blood test as a definitive "yes" (even though I know I am). I know the boyfriend will want to know if I saw the doc ASAP when he finds out! (10 days until he's home - YAY!)

The AF cramps are subsiding - are no longer constant - just come around when I move. When I'm sitting or laying down they're non-existant, so I take that as a good sign that they're going away.

Thanks again for all of the help, ladies!
April 5th, 2012, 12:35 AM
214momtobe's Avatar Veteran
Me to-I am 39-Never was ready for kids until about a year ago-husband and i just started trying this month- I am in shock that it happened and in disbelief and very concerned at my age about m/c. I am 5 weeks.

Only symptom seems to be a bit of cramping-Have appt on April 25th

Think I will go sooner to reg. doc and ask for a blood work test!

How are you feeling? any sickness?
April 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Congrats, I am 35 and on my 4th child..I am now 7 weeks but had 2 negative test results in mid March...I have not yet call an OB plan on it today

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search