43 and Pregnant! What??!!

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By MomAgain1969
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By mirdeemrlvs
  • 2 Post By Papasgirl
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM
It's been a decade since my last baby and 25 years since my first. I THOUGHT I was pre-menopausal, nope, pregnant. At first, I thought, "OK, been there, done that, I can do it again". Ha. No. I've been told I'm decrepit, ok, the phrase is "of advanced maternal age", feels the same to me. And, there are thyroid issues and a risk of a clotting disorder all demanding decisions and action.

This pregnancy has me so tired already and I haven't even started the every two-hour feedings, colic, ear infections and diaper stage yet. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Good luck to everyone.
August 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and Congratulations!! Have you joined a due date club yet? When are you due?

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
August 30th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Remembering Tadpole
Wishing you an easy pregnancy
August 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM
libbeylou's Avatar Veteran
I live in a large metropolitan area and I'm almost 40. Not one doctor or nurse has said anything to me about my age. They haven't mentioned it once! There are a lot of 40+ moms in my area.

I hope you don't have any complications with thyroid & blood clotting. Just remember, there is always something to worry about, no matter the age!

Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy!

Thank you, MaineBean for the peep siggy!

Last edited by libbeylou; August 31st, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo!!
October 30th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Congratulations on your blessing. Whether the baby came later or not, it is still the biggest gift that we can receive.
October 31st, 2012, 05:42 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Congrats! I know the feeling, I swear if I have to hear about my advanced maternal age one more time I am going to my next appointment with a cane and orthopedic shoes on!
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

November 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! I am almost 38, have Hashimoto, Celiac and double clotting disorder, so we are in the same boat. Only difference is I have an almost 2 year old.

My Dr. takes a lot of precautions, but has never mentioned my age. I think larger cities it is fairly typical to have older moms so it doesn't get as much press, so to speak.

Congratulations!
November 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Veteran
Congratulations! A baby is a blessing! Wishing you a safe and healthy pregnancy!
December 31st, 2012, 10:33 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Mom again!! I just found out today and I'm 43 too!! You know, if we were supermodels or hollywood stars, noone would bat an eye!! From what I understand, women have always had babies until they couldn't have them anymore before birth control came around. I'm shocked too. Thought all my symptoms were unrelated. Hind sight 20/20 huh?
Rebelmommy likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 06:03 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
and I unfortunately have heard that advanced maternal age bull for some time now too....that is just medical jargon for OLD HAG! Lol
mirdeemrlvs and Rebelmommy like this.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
January 2nd, 2013, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasgirl View Post
and I unfortunately have heard that advanced maternal age bull for some time now too....that is just medical jargon for OLD HAG! Lol
So- are you like officially freaked out or what? I found out almost 4 days ago and it still hasn't sunk in. I'll probably call the dr. for an appt tomorrow. I don't plan on telling anyone except dh of course and my mom for a long time. I have to accept it first! I mean, I was okay with36 and even 39, but 43... we weren't even trying..! In fact we only bd ONCE last month!!

January 10th, 2013, 12:10 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Your freaking out is kind of freaking me out because I am 46 and 11 weeks pregnant.

I am very self conscious about it. Can I just pretend it's normal to be pregnant at this age? I just dread telling people even though I am quite happy about the pregnancy.

Is everyone going to go bananas about it? I wish I knew someone that age who had done it before and told me what it was like. But I'm probably the only one on earth.
January 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarantha View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Your freaking out is kind of freaking me out because I am 46 and 11 weeks pregnant.

I am very self conscious about it. Can I just pretend it's normal to be pregnant at this age? I just dread telling people even though I am quite happy about the pregnancy.

Is everyone going to go bananas about it? I wish I knew someone that age who had done it before and told me what it was like. But I'm probably the only one on earth.
It is quite normal and natural (otherwise it wouldn't be able to happen) Dr.'s just like to get us older moms freaked out so they can charge us to run more tests Congrats!
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

January 10th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!!!I am 42 and I had my daughter when I was 18 and my son when I was 37.I got alot of the same bull...like "Are you crazy?" or "Don't you know what causes that?" or "Better you than me" and "I would kill myself". I was so happy and then there were al of these people making all of these snide remarks.I think it is awesome!!!!!!!!!DH and I are on the fence about trying for one more.I did have a much tougher time the last time.But it was and is worth it.

January 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarantha View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Congratulations!!! You make me feel better!! I'm not the most "advanced" one on here! LOL I feel the same way... I keep thinking what are people going to think? But, hey- who cares what they think! We'll have a gorgeous baby and they can be jealous! I have a friend who just had a baby at 42. I haven't told her yet, not telling anyone until next week, but I plan on asking lots of questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kimber View Post
Congrats!!!!!I am 42 and I had my daughter when I was 18 and my son when I was 37.I got alot of the same bull...like "Are you crazy?" or "Don't you know what causes that?" or "Better you than me" and "I would kill myself". I was so happy and then there were al of these people making all of these snide remarks.I think it is awesome!!!!!!!!!DH and I are on the fence about trying for one more.I did have a much tougher time the last time.But it was and is worth it.
Thats exactly why I don't want to tell anyone. I haven't even told my sister yet.. most people are of the mentality have two kids and your done, only have them up to a certain age, the world is overpopulated.. blah blah..

When I announce to friends, etc.. I am going to post on fb with a little blurb saying only ENCOURAGING comments welcome. I don't want to hear it. I heard it (and also sometimes the deafening silence) with my last two.. one was at 36 and the other 39.

January 11th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I wish you guys lived here where I am because I have not had one negative comment from anyone concerning this pregnancy and will be 39 when baby comes - everyone actually says it seems to be more the norm to have kids later today. Not even my Doctor has used the words "advanced maternal age" but like libbeylou I live a large metropolitan area with lots of 40 plus mothers so it's not a big deal...

As for how long it took to get PG, it was a long 7 cycles with DS when I was 33 and this one was only 2 off the pill so go figure, anything can happen!

Congrats all and enjoy your pregnancies, don't think twice about what other people think!
January 14th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Congratulations! I know a lot of pregnant over 40s in real life.

BTW, I keep thinking I'm going through menopause and pregnancy at the same time. Right before I got pregnant, I was actually getting hot flashes and night sweats.
January 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hi there well im 44 and not had a baby yet only a bfp so eigther i lost it early or it was a false positive from a hospital(very weird)i was so ill but was so depressed when i got the bfn .Since then ive not took anything to avoid getting pregnant.I was told that my falopian tubes were blocked but ive took things for that.I should have af 1/02/13 but ive been feeling some pregnancy symtoms and so confused.I think you all are great and find your comments encouraging.I have some health issues like thyroid for 1,does that cause a lot of problems in pregnancy?

Last edited by Sweetbaby1; January 25th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
February 13th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran
There are SO many replies in this thread that I'd love to quote--but I just wanted to send my love and support to ALL of you!!!!

And PS--there ain't any "HAGS" here, dangit!!! Just beautiful women who for society's ignorance will have bullsh*t negativity---you're all awesome and I pray for healthy pregnancies and deliveries for all of you!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search