Nervous. How long are you waiting to announce your pregnancy?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran
I'm 38 years old, just found out I'm pregnant. I'm probably about 4 weeks. Don't know for sure as I'm not regular and this was a "surprise."

I'm nervous. I've had two miscarriages in the past year (also both "surprise" pregnancies... you'd think Hubby and I would have gotten around to trying something other than the ol' reliable withdrawal method lol).

Even though we weren't trying, we both think a pregnancy is a blessing. Maybe it feels even more like a blessing because we weren't trying for it.

Anyway, I want to wait to announce it because of my previous losses and my advanced maternal age. Honestly, I'd wait until the baby was ready to be born, lol, but probably my best hope (maybe) is waiting til 18 weeks. This is my 3rd kid. Everyone always says you show sooner each time around.

Is anyone else waiting to announce their pregnancy? How are you planning to hide it?
alic3204 likes this.
October 31st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't wait. LOL. I told my family and friends pretty much right away. I waited to tell my co-workers, but that was mostly because I didn't feel like talking about maternity leave and everything that needs to be done up front. But with your losses, I don't blame you for wanting to wait. I'd say maybe after the first trimester (12 weeks or so).

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
October 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
Honestly I still havent announced my pregnancy, I told my sons and a few family members after I was 13 weeks. I am showing but the right clothes still can hide it....I think in the next few weeks it will be obvious to everyone.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

Last edited by sandel07; October 31st, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
October 31st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
First.. CONGRATS!!!

I waited until 12 weeks (wanted to wait until 16-18 but DH blabbed before hand). As for showing they do say that you show sooner with each child, however I suspect that a lot of that has to do with how close together your children are. this is my 5th baby and I did not start showing in my regular clothing until about 20 weeks. I think it is just different with everyone, and most people even if they suspect wont come right out and ask you, because they fear that they might be wrong, so you have that on your side. Sending you lots of positive baby vibes!!
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

November 7th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Veteran
Congrats!!

I waited until 18 weeks until the time I knew the gender of my baby. My tummy didn't show until the end of my 5th month anyway, and that way I still hid it.
November 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Congratulations!

I've only had one mc but I will be waiting to tell until I know everything is ok with the pregnancy and all prenatal tests have been done.

I'm optimistic that everything will be ok this time 6w 1d today.
November 13th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Totally understand why you would want to wait. Sorry about your past losses.

I'm 14.5 weeks with my very first and starting to tell people. We're waiting to tell my husband's parents because we want to tell them in person at Thanksgiving.

Due to my age (37) and not knowing for the first 8 weeks I was even pregnant (always skip the August period due to stress/ragweed allergies) we were very concerned and had all the bloodwork and a nuchlar translucency ultrasound. Everything is going along well and they don't recommend an amnio for me. Risk to baby more than risk of having something already wrong.

In fact, we had a private ultrasound this weekend and found out we're 150% having a boy. And he's super long already. Husband's family is really tall so he's taking after that side already.

I'm still super worried something will go wrong but with each day that fear gets a little less. They say after you hear baby's heartbeat, chance of miscarriage drops to less than 5%. Once out of 1st trimester, the risk drops to less than 2%.
November 27th, 2012, 04:38 AM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
i just got my bfp and the only person i feel needs to know now is SO. i want to get to a "safer" time in the pregnancy (due to previous losses, AMA (i HATE that acronym/term) and just making sure this little babe sticks). then we'll tell our kids. everyone else will know when they need to/have to know.
November 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the day of delivery lol nah I have told my kids thats it will tell others if the baby sticks and only after we get past 12 weeks.

December 6th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Veteran
I will be 36 when baby is born and first kid as well.

We weren't really trying to have kids, so I didn't realize I was late untill I was REALLY late so when we tested, we were 8 weeks pregnant AHAHAH ( REALLY NOT EXPECTING IT huh!)

Anyways, I really wanted to wait untill 12 weeks because I was/still am nervous about this pregnancy ( Because it wasn't expected, we weren't trying and not sure how it happened ahah, but hubby was so excited he spilled his beans to all of our family the very next day AHAHA ( we found out on Friday so Saturday he kidnap me and went visiting all of his and mine family to give the news lol he just could NOT wait!)

If it was me, I would have waited untill 12 weeks u/s just to make sure, but I think because of just being worried and I think it is normal for us to be wayy more worried than our hubbies.

He told his work right away as well, I waited untill week 12 to tell my boss and close friends, and am just now at week 16, finally going public with it but now I am just procrastinating because I am lazy ahahah

December 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
I waited until about 14-16 weeks for most everyone. I still haven't publicly said anything (like FB, etc.) and I am already 28 weeks.

Oh, I am 37 and didn't want to jinx anything so that is why I waited...
December 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Suesue77's Avatar Susan
I'm 35 and this is my third...I'm only 4.5 weeks right now, so we're waiting till the first dr appt/ultrasound to tell. My DH would love to tell everyone we know right now, but I agree, us mommies seem a bit more cautious, I keep having to remind him to wait. And by the way, I'm amazed how you guys are keeping it a secret so long- I'm already so bloated that my pants are tight
January 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I'm going to go as long as humanly possible--until it is undeniable and before everyone starts talking.

I'm 11 weeks right now. I'd love to announce at 30 weeks but I realize that is somewhat unrealistic.
onemoremakesfour likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!
I was 36 when I got pregnant and 37 when my son was born.

We waited until I was around 13 weeks pregnant because we were afraid of jinxing it as well.I did tell one friend when I was 6 weeks old and I told my co workers and boss around 11 weeks.

January 12th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations!

I'm 41 and 10w3d with my 3rd. I'm trying to wait until after 12 weeks to tell, but my belly popping out is making it hard. After 2 c-sections, an enlarged uterus, and a fibroid that is the size of a large orange that kind of stuck out anyways, and abdominal muscles that seem to remember what pregnancy feels like, I've got quite the bump going on. I might have to tell sooner. Luckily, my boss just went out of town for 2 weeks, so I can put off telling her!

My big sweaters, fly-away styles and open front cardigans are my friend, as are rubber bands around the pants buttons and my Bella Band.
Suesue77 likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran
Anyone still hiding it?

I've decided not to tell anyone at all. At this point I'm 15 weeks, and though I have a bit of a bump, it's not super noticeable under baggy clothes. Just looks like I'm getting pudgy. In fact, the other day my dad mentioned that I could stand to lose a few pounds. haha!

I think I'm just going to wait until I'm so big that people finally get the nerve to ask me if I'm pregnant. I figure it'll be funny if I'm 8 months along and someone asks, and I respond, "What? I'm pregnant?!? Are you sure????"
January 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am 17 1/2 weeks along - child no. 3. I recently told family and CLOSE friends. I have not announced at work. The success of hiding is linked to wearing suits. I lost weight the first trimester, so regular clothing still fits. My mother has advise that I am looking a little chubby in peculiar areas and soon the ladies in the office will guess.

January 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I'm 12 weeks and just told my 14 year DS. I am waiting to tell my younger DS's who are 9 and 5. I'm not ready for the whole world to know yet and they would tell everyone they see.

I am trying to hide it from work as long as possible. Maybe June?!! Not sure that'd be possible!!
January 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Anyone still hiding it?

I've decided not to tell anyone at all. At this point I'm 15 weeks, and though I have a bit of a bump, it's not super noticeable under baggy clothes. Just looks like I'm getting pudgy. In fact, the other day my dad mentioned that I could stand to lose a few pounds. haha!

I think I'm just going to wait until I'm so big that people finally get the nerve to ask me if I'm pregnant. I figure it'll be funny if I'm 8 months along and someone asks, and I respond, "What? I'm pregnant?!? Are you sure????"
I am at 18 weeks plus...yikes! And I am still hiding. The cold weather is helping because of the layers no one in my community who I stand at the bus with knows a thing and I am going to continue for as long as I can but definitely not until my big US on Feb 8th with gender scan.

My kids are small enough that they mentioned...mommy your belly is big but you are still prefect...lol I don't want to keep it from them for much longer but they'll tell their friends at school and then all the other moms will know for sure...lol

No one in our families except for our parents know as I want reassurance that baby has no genetic issues...so it's a huge secret for now. And strange enough I am very comfortable keeping quiet from people other than family however, because of my kids, whom I want to prepare for this new addition, it will be out for sure plus I don't know how much longer after the US I will be able to hide after 2 babies and 2 cs...belly is out there...lol
February 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran
[QUOTE=momto3brazils;26808461]the day of delivery lol QUOTE]

Last edited by IBelieveInAngels; February 9th, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: I messed up the quotation & still can't get it right...ah well ;)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search