1st Time Mom @ 37 - concerns???

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 37FirstTimeMom
  • 1 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hello! I'm new here....I've had 2 BFP's on HPT's the last few days - saw my doctor last night, did a test there - also BFP. Yikes! Okay, so I'm 37...this wasn't exactly planned, but none the less, I'm rather excited (and nervous). She estimated that I'm 5 weeks along based on my last period date. But she also doesn't specialize in pre-natal care, so she has referred me to a maternity clinic (I will be calling them today). My concerns are - how much will my age play an issue in risk factors?? When is it "safe" to tell people (I still have to break the news to my man who is out of town at the moment)? When does the risk of miscarriage start dropping (my biggest fear right now!)? I'm sure I'll get answers at the clinic, but not sure when I can get in to see someone (yes, I'm impatient). Any advice from other mommies-to-be would be fantastic. Thank you!!
December 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
First off - CONGRATS on your pregnancy

Since you're over 35 they will do a bit more genetic testing, as your risk raises with your age.

There is no specific "safe" time to tell people, it's when you feel it's right. Many women wait until after the 1st trimester (12 weeks) to tell people as that is when the risk for a M/C goes down considerably. Other people tell right away.

I think we broke the news around 9-10 weeks just because we were so excited!

I imagine you're due in August - if so check out the August DDC on here, you'll meet a bunch of girls who are due at the same time as you.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

December 5th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks! It's so helpful to be able to connect with other expectant moms on here, especially when it's your first pregnancy and you're clueless as to what to expect. I called the mat clinic - my first pre-natal is Fri. Dec.14th - fingers crossed that all goes well
December 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
I am also expecting my first and am 37. I waited to announce until 14 or so weeks - probably would have been ok at 12+ weeks but that is where my comfort level was.

As for differences, I think that we get a few extra tests along the way and they emphasize some of the risk factors but if things progress well, there really is no difference. I do think I am probably a little more tired than some of our younger counterparts but it is such a blessing that I don't think much of it.

Oh and congrats!!
December 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you!! I hope my pre-natal goes well.....good luck on your pregnancy also!
Hokie Nicole likes this.
December 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Congratulations to keep our fingers crossed for a baby and you
December 17th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am 39 and just felt a sigh of relief today when I got my Harmony Test Results back today. Hopefully, some of this information will be helpful. (BTW, I have a 10 and 8 year old, so I have experienced pg in my late 20s and now at late 30s. More tired in my 30s - but this is the only pregnancy in which I did not have early pg bleeding).

You will technically be classified as AMA (Advanced Maternal Age). While everyone will comment on the "risks", please remember the risks are still very low.

There is a higher rate of miscarriage, but once you confirm a heartbeat (around 8 weeks) your risk of miscarriage is very low. Even before that, the rate of a healthy pregnancy is much higher than the rate of miscarriage. The odds remain on your side.

There are more chromosomal abnormalities (Downs, etc.). At my age, the risk was 1 in 150. Yours is much lower. Just remember, even at my age that means 149 our of 150 babies are OK. If this was the lotto - you would be buying lots of tickets.

You are likely to get more tests offered. I was automatically "eligible" for a 12 week nuchal translucency scan (this was in addition to my dating scan). You are hoping for an NT number less than 3.0 (although even with a higher number, the odds are on your side). You are also hopeful to see a nasal bone. These are just soft markers though.

You are likely to be offered either the first trimester blood test (results combined with the NT scan) to create an "odds". Remember anything over 1/300 is "high risk" even though that means 299/300 are OK. Instead I opted for the Harmony Blood test. takes 10 days. It looks at the fetal chromosomes in the mother's blood and is reported to be 99% accurate.

If any of the above are concerning, you can get a CVS - which is basically 100% accurate. No test is required of any mom though.

Later, they will watch you more for hypertension and Gestational Diabetes (a little higher risk at an older age). They will likely offer more ultrasounds in the last 1-2 months to rule out fetal growth restriction.

All that sounds bad I know. Here is the positive. You are likely to be referred to maternal fetal medicine or a perinatologist. Look at it this way - 2 sets of docs looking after you and your baby. More ultrasounds - more chances to see your little one.

My advice - get a doc that matches your needs. My doc told me that if my Harmony Test came back good (which it did) and I stayed healthy with my diet, he would consider me low to medium risk, and that age alone would not make me high risk. Age is but one factor. Eat healthy, get moderate exercise, make your appointments, and stay positive - you and baby will be great.
apradams likes this.
December 30th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Suesue77's Avatar Susan
Kim3, awesome clarification. I had my first two 4 & 5 years ago...now I'll deliver (barring mc) at 36. I asked my doctor about the risks and she reminded me that each person's body is different and it's not like your body automatically starts having preg issues on your 35th bday. Helped me a little
December 31st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my 1st at 36 & my 2nd at 40. I did know genetic testing & while my chart did say Advanced Maternal Age, my pregnancy was treated no different that a 20 year olds.

Congrats! And good luck!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search