How to feel positive?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By Jessmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been working with my current OB for over a year now as we continue TTC. Yesterday I went in for testing for clottting disorder and progesterone/estridol/estrogen etc levels to see if I need meds to sustain a pregnancy.

The drawing nurse said right off the bat "we see alot of your issues after 35. BIG increase in risk of miscarriage"

I felt so deflated. Should we even bother? I'll be 40 in less than 2 months and have 2 back to back losses. Are there more over 35 women having MCs than having babies?

What are my chances at this point?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
July 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Statistically I can understand that there is a higher chance of m/c. Genetic conditions rise the older you are. Way more healthy babies are born to mothers over 35 though!!! You might need hormone support. Do you know the reason for past losses? I've had to have additional Progesterone to conceive my first 3 and support all of my pg. I had my first at 23! While having hormone issues is less common in younger women, its worth it to have healthy babies! We all do what we have to do to have our children. Without hormone support I'd probably be childless instead of expecting my 5th and 6th. Take care of yourself and get through testing. We live in a time where we have so many resources to help us have children. It can be a difficult process, but the baby at the end is worth it!

July 24th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's reassuring to hear success stories. My labs came back fine - that I don't need meds. The OB said my last two losses were just caused by age. Not a good thing to hear and not very encouraging.

It's not easy to be told that IF I get pregnant again, my chances aren't very good and it's a crapshoot. But positive stories like yours help!.

A healthy 120 days and delivery to you! Enjoy!
LABs likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40

July 24th, 2013, 12:20 PM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I am almost 29 weeks pregnant with a very healthy baby girl and I am almost 36 years old. I am sure that age can be a factor sometimes, but it is still very possible for you to carry a healthy baby to term in your late 30's and in your 40's. I wish you lots and lots of luck.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Super Mommy
I am 42 and am counting the days til I deliver. I used progesterone suppositories to substain this pregnancy. My levels were not overly low but I really feel that this helped me. Before this pregnancy I had 3 mc in a year and was feeling hopeless. But here we are 8 months pregnant.

Don't let out dated statistics bring you down. Good luck!!
lelila likes this.
July 27th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks ladies! I really appreciate your encouragement. I haven't told any of the ladies on the TTCAL board but we found out a week ago that we are expecting. Unfortunately, DH and I have no joy in this, only the expectation that we'll miscarry at some point. We're just bracing ourselves for the worst.

I went in this past Monday and my beta for 13DPO was 379 and my progesterone was normal so I didn't need a supplement. I don't even know what my due date is and don't want to know at this point. I'm scheduled for a consultation this Wed. to see what the next steps are. The OB even made a 7wk appt, which I was surprised at. Will it even last that long?

I want to be happy so badly. I want to shout from my roof that I'm having a baby. But I don't dare. DH and I have wanted another baby for 7 long years. But each time we get a chance it's ripped away from us. Some mornings I have woken up and reached for my BBT because I've forgotten I'm pregnant. How sad is that?

Sorry this got so long.

Wife to Big Bull 40

August 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Regular
Congratulations!

Your attitude about this pregnancy has a HUGE impact on what happens. If you "know" you will miscarry, you will make it happen. try positive imagery and don't be afraid to feel good about this.

There are many plants and foods out there that can help you sustain a pregnancy. I take kelp everyday, among other things. Do some research on this and I bet you will find some surprise allies in your goal to stay pregnant.

By the way, I am 44 and expecting my 6th.
September 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
trusting and believing
agree with Movlin, try not to "expect" to miscarry. I've had losses too, and so that makes subsequent pregnancies less exciting and more frightening, but I didn't sit around waiting to miscarry.

Also, is it your doc saying you miscarried before because of your age? Did they do any testing to determine this or are they just saying that because that's what's in their textbook. I wouldn't take their word as law without having had some kind of testing done. There are many other things besides age that cause miscarriages. In fact, "age" cannot be the cause, it would have to be some other factor related to age like a genetic defect, but I call BS on them just telling you it's because of your age without further exploration.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
September 19th, 2013, 02:36 PM
wow sounds like you were dealing with a very insensitive nurse. I'm surprised she would have said something like that. Many people have healthy pregnancies/babies over the age of 35. I know many people who have with no issues. Miscarriages happen....they are very sad, but unfortunately it's a risk we take when we decide to get pregnant. I just found out this week I'm pregnant at 35 and I'm nervous too! What will be will be...of course I hope it works out...but if any nurse speaks to me that way I'll have to bite my tongue from telling them how insensitive they are.
September 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Regular
Well at some point your emotional health is more important than meeting a dream. I am not Debbie downer I promise. But while I was seeing an RE there was a lady I saw frequently, aged 44+, and multiple miscarriages. She had no bio children and her marriage suffered. She was a successful person otherwise and apparently down to earth etc etc but her entire identity was wrapped up in these treatments etc. he's you decide when oh are ready or done. Yes there are great resources out there to help. However. The nurse, doctor and so on are not ere as dreamers they are in a science. I much prefer honesty over lies. Sure they offer hope but remembering what worked for one may not work for me. My issues may get worse. I struggled some with my doctor's honesty but knew it was appropriate considering the stakes. Your value and worth are more than one life event. Congrats on your success.....you do deserve all your hopes and dreams to be reality.
September 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you getting excited now? Its hard to be excited in the first trimester, but you are past the scariest part now. I'm gearing up to have my twins in the next month!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search