intro

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Hello,
I'm Andrea, mom to 5 children, 12, 10, 8, 6 and our almost 2 yr old.

We were done after this last one. I'm fine with her being my sweet little baby that I get to spoil.

Last night we got a shock, a plus sign. We were using b/c too and going for a more permanent solution in the near future.

Right now, I don't feel excited or happy and I'm wondering how we're going to fit a new one in the house. We know our vehicles won't work so we have to decide which vehicle goes and what to get now. Daycare expense, HOW to tell my boss (who already thinks i'm crazy for having so many kids) and the fact that I'm terrified because I'll be 41.

My husband reminds me that it's all God's plan, that it will work out and with 2 smart resourceful people like ourselves, we'll get it figured out.

I was 39 when last baby was born so know the tests from then but seems there are new ones now? Maternit21? I don't know. Since I'm over 40, will I need different tests and monitoring too? Do I need to make an appt right away, sooner than the 8 weeks I normally have?

Thanks for reading
January 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Andrea, congrats and welcome.
I can imagine your surprise since you thought you were done. You're DH seems like a smart guy, and don't let the other stuff stress you out, you've got time to figure it out.
I'm 43 and didn't take the Maternit21, so I have no idea what that one looks for or covers. I opted for the CVS test. And I know women younger than 35 get some of these tests as well (at least some of the ones in my DDC do). I think the tests would be the same as for your 2 year old, unless you had complications or your health has changed. The amount of monitoring will depend on your doctor and how your pregnancy progresses. And with this pregnancy they still wouldn't see me until I was 8 weeks, but that might vary depending on doctors.

January 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
I had Marternit21 when pregnant with my daughter at 41. The test, a simple blood test can be done as early as 9 or 10 weeks, so if you test positive you have plenty of time to decide whether to do additional testing. The test if I remember correctly tests for trisomy 13, 18 and 21. My Maternity21 test was negative and gave me a great deal of relief. God luck!!
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

January 29th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks ladies

Do I need the Materniti21 through my doctor's office? I am definitely going to ask about all testing.
January 29th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Check with your doctor or insurance. I had my testing through a genetic counselor, but probably any lab can draw it and send it off to the lab.

January 30th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I had my 1st at 36 and my 2nd at 40. I didn't do any additional testing. After asking many questions, my doctor admitted that my only "risk" factor was my age. And now I have extremely healthy kids - 7 & 11.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search