35 and Overweight

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2017, 06:53 AM
I am currently 35 years old and my pre-pregnancy weight puts me with a BMI of 31 in the Obese category. During my last pregnancy I was somewhat over weight but was exercising at a boot camp regularly and eating very well. I had lost almost 20lbs before getting pregnant and was in the best shape I had been in for a very long time. Now, I am very over weight, almost 40lbs. I haven't done any sort of real exercise in three years. I am very concerned that my age and weight will put me at risk for pregnancy complications. Also, my doctor and I are not quite seeing eye to eye. My son was born under weight, only 5.11. He was full term. He just stopped growing toward the end and they never found out why. I ate healthy and regularly but was never super hungry. Towards the end, I had a hard time eating much due to reflux. This pregnancy I am now 13 weeks, it is a girl and I am starving 24/7. I try really hard to eat as healthy as I can but the amount I am eating each day is crazy. I eat two full breakfasts, several snacks, normal lunch, and a much larger portion for dinner than normal. At dinner I try not to eat a lot but then I go to bed starving and try to tell myself I am not hungry then I can't sleep and have to go eat a snack. At my doctors suggestion, the bulk of my food is now mostly protein and it is helping some. I keep telling my doctor that I am really worried about weight gain and eating too much. Her response is to remind me I previously had a tiny baby and I need to make sure I am gaining weight. But then everything I read tells me an obese person should only gain 10-20 lbs not the typical 30-35. I have already gained close to 10 pounds. I just thought I would write on here to see if anyone felt the same way. Emotionally I am really struggling with the best plan of action. I want a healthy weight baby, but don't want to set myself up for preeclampsia, gestational diabetes or health problems due to weight after the pregnancy.
January 6th, 2017, 07:06 AM
BlueMoon82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds to me like you need a new OB/gyn. It does not seem from your post that you feel your doctor is taking your concerns seriously or putting you on a care plan you are comfortable with. There are other things that can be done, like you seeing a dietitian or your OB/gyn referring you to a high risk OB or MFM to get a real answer as to why your son was on the smaller end and if that risk is present in this pregnancy.

Based on personal experiences I would guess that what you were consuming had nothing to do with your son being underweight and there is another factor that came into play that as never diagnosed.

January 8th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think there is a great corolation between how much weight you gain and the size of the baby, it is more about if you are eating proper foods, and taking care of yourself.

With my first I lost weight throughout the whole pregnancy. When I gave birth I was 2 sizes smaller then I was when I got pregnant. However I cut out all junk foods, I ate really healthy if I wanted a snack I had some fruit, or some veg. My son was born premature for totally other reasons and he was 7 lbs 7 oz at 5 weeks early.

With my last pregnancy I ate too much crap foods, I was always hungry and I gained way too much weight, I am still struggling years later to get it off. She was my smallest singleton baby.

Mom to Premies, IVF mom,

Tags
obese , starving , thirty five , weight gain

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search