Did anyone have extra testing done due to age?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not far enough along yet for tests to be offered, but I wondered if anyone else had extra tests performed due to "advanced maternal age" (I hate that phrase, by the way)? If you did them, did the results give you any helpful info? If you chose not to do them, why? I want to review both sides so I'll know what's best for me when the time comes. I'd appreciate any and all info you want to share.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 26th, 2006, 08:14 PM
*Helen*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there,

Wow it's really nice to see a board for pg over 35!
In regards to your question about testing I took everything they offered! I was 36 when I got pregnant and 37 when I delivered my first baby this past July. Everyone has their own opinion and feelings on testing but for me and my dh we wanted to know everything good and bad so we could be prepared for anything. The only test I took and needed was the nuchal transluceny ultrasound at 13 weeks, if that was abnormal I was prepared to have further tests including an amnio. Luckily for us everything measured 100% and I only had regular ultrasounds to check for size and growth etc. I declined the quad screen based on the fact that I would get an abnormal result based upon my age factor alone, I didn't need that stress and the geneticist that was looking after me advised me against it.

I had an awesome pg and my son was born July 2nd just perfect

As I said you will get many different answers for and against testing, do what is best for you, your baby and your family. I hope you have a very healthy pg, good luck

September 27th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Kath113's Avatar Pogo Addict
I did a lot of the extra testing due to age. I did the nuchal fold test but the baby wouldn't cooperate so they couldn't get the actual fluid measurement. The bloodwork from that however showed my risk did lessen but didn't give a complete picture without the associated measurement. So, then I did the Quad Screen and that all came back perfect. I did the Level II ultrasound at 20 weeks and that came back that everything was perfect as well. Since all those came back normal I opted out of the amnio. I had a growth scan at 30 weeks solely due to my age, which was just routine for my OB for 35 and older moms to be. At that u/s they found out he was a big baby so had me come back at 34 weeks for another one (last week) plus they put me on weekly biophysical profiles (ultrasounds) since 32 weeks due to his size.
September 27th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Regular
Quote:
I'm not far enough along yet for tests to be offered, but I wondered if anyone else had extra tests performed due to "advanced maternal age" (I hate that phrase, by the way)? If you did them, did the results give you any helpful info? If you chose not to do them, why? I want to review both sides so I'll know what's best for me when the time comes. I'd appreciate any and all info you want to share.[/b]
I was pregnant last year at age 38. My doctors explained that I was 'high risk' due to age and gave me all of the percentages and statistics for problems of people my age. He explained all of the tests to me and gave me the option to take them, or not. After discussing it with hubby, we both decided NOT to take any test that was the least bit invasive to the baby. These tests carry a small risk of miscarriage and other problems, and that is a chance we didn't want to take.

Also, we knew that no matter what the test showed us - like the "possibility" of something wrong - that it wouldn't make us love the baby any less and wouldn't change our minds about having it. We made the choice to accept the baby that we were blessed with, period. A lot of these tests are just that, "possibilities", and that just causes a lot of undue stress and worry on top of the normal worries of pregnancy. That's my opinion anyway.

If you are generally healthy and have had healthy babies in the past, or have no family history of problems, ask yourself if the test results would change your mind about having the baby. If not, then why put yourself through the tests, and why put the baby at risk? That is the angle we were looking at.

I'm pregnant again at age 39 Once again, I refused all tests that would be invasive to the baby. The only tests I do are blood sugar, urine, and sonograms.
September 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM
sunshinemommie's Avatar Super Mommy
I am 37 and I opted out of all tests. I did have a u/s and everything looked fine. I had 2 previous m/c's and didn't want to risk another one with an amnio. Also i could never terminate a pregnancy either. So I just pray that the good lord would never give me more than I can handle.
September 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Regular
I was wondering about all the extra tests that may be offered as well (my first appt is Friday). The thought of an amino really scares me to death. Can someone tell me what the nuchal fold test involves? I refused the triple screen with my first 2 & wasn't pushed so I'm hoping that I won't be pressured to have extra testing......but at the same time my "advanced maternal age" (I hate that phrase as well!) makes me just a tad bit nervous about all this. I have heard though that with each healthy pregnancy/child, your odds of the same increase.

Jean
September 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Logan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm 42 and I have opted out of all the tests. They wouldn't make a difference. Also a few of them have a reputation of having false positives. Why be uptight the entire pregnancy thinking something is wrong when in fact everything is fine?

Proud mom of: Joshua (25), Paul (25), Krista (23), Adam (11), Lauren (6), Anna Janelle.
October 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Regular
My hubby and I decided to have the amnio done....mostly because we wanted to be prepared if anything was wrong. Fortunately, everything came back great...giving us some much needed peace of mind (since we've already been through 2 miscarriages). Plus, we found out we're having a boy - and with the amnio, it's 99% correct. YAY for little boys!
October 4th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Kath113's Avatar Pogo Addict
Quote:
I was wondering about all the extra tests that may be offered as well (my first appt is Friday). The thought of an amino really scares me to death. Can someone tell me what the nuchal fold test involves? I refused the triple screen with my first 2 & wasn't pushed so I'm hoping that I won't be pressured to have extra testing......but at the same time my "advanced maternal age" (I hate that phrase as well!) makes me just a tad bit nervous about all this. I have heard though that with each healthy pregnancy/child, your odds of the same increase.

Jean[/b]
The nuchal fold or nuchal translucency test is done between 10-13 weeks. It involves just an ultrasound and a finger prick blood test. The u/s measures the amount of fluid at the back of the neck and that measurement combined with what they check for in the blood gives them a ratio of risk. Its supposed to be really accurate with only a small small percentage of false positives (its far more accurate than the triple or quad screens). If I remember right, its something like 98% or 99% accurate. But, it has to be done within that specific time frame window and a lot of insurances don't cover it yet as its recent to this country. My insurance (Carefirst BC/BS) did cover it though.
October 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
friday1's Avatar Veteran
I am also in the April DDC. I'm 37, and had my nuchal translucency ultrasound yesterday. It was just like any other ultrasound. (I got to see the baby kicking those legs and moving those arms. It was so amazing!) They took blood last week, so they didn't do that part. The tech said that everything was within normal range.
I'm so happy they have this board! (Not that I don't love my DDC)

October 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an amnio done with this pg and my last, she was born when I was 38 when I had my 2nd and am 39 now will be 40 when I give birth in Feb. I had a OB that I am very happy with and very secure with otherwise I am not sure I would have had it done because of the risks involved. If something was wrong I wanted to be prepared mentally and at home when it was time to bring the baby home. If there was something wrong I wouldnt want to find out for the 1st time when he/she was born. Luckily the test came back good so I am able to relax a bit more. The test didnt hurt much, a sharp pinch for sure but nothing close to labor, and lasted about 5 minutes. If you want to go ahead with the amnio just make sure your Dr is someone you trust 100% and are comfortable with. It helps a lot to have that.
Also, sorry this is so long, I didnt have any of the other tests done just the amnio. I figured if I had one of the other tests done and it came back that there might be something wrong I would just end up with the amnio anyway. And there are false positives with the other tests so even if it came back good I still wouldnt be 100% sure it was right so why bother.
This is all of course MY PERSONAL OPINION and my personal feeling on it all. I am glad I did it both times even though the first time I had low amniotic fluid and it took 5 trys to get the fluid out, LOL. So that one hurt! But again nothing like labor does.
I am so glad there is an over 35 board. I am not 40 yet and not ready (mentally) to join the over 40 groups out there. I can handle over 35. And I agree with whoever it was that wrote they hate the words "advanced maternal age"! I talked to one of my friends the other day and said those exact words myself. Why cant they just say "age" make it simple for heavens sake. OK this is about to get longer.....
Another reason I had it done was because of too much information. I read more negative information regarding being over 35 then positive. Also the 1st dr I saw this time around was Dr Doom who had scarey things to say to me about the risks about having a baby at "my age" and made me even more scared than I already was. Ok, I will shut up now.
October 10th, 2006, 08:22 AM
jenghes
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not far enough along yet for tests to be offered, but I wondered if anyone else had extra tests performed due to "advanced maternal age" (I hate that phrase, by the way)? If you did them, did the results give you any helpful info? If you chose not to do them, why? I want to review both sides so I'll know what's best for me when the time comes. I'd appreciate any and all info you want to share.[/b]
I was pregnant last year at age 38. My doctors explained that I was 'high risk' due to age and gave me all of the percentages and statistics for problems of people my age. He explained all of the tests to me and gave me the option to take them, or not. After discussing it with hubby, we both decided NOT to take any test that was the least bit invasive to the baby. These tests carry a small risk of miscarriage and other problems, and that is a chance we didn't want to take.

Also, we knew that no matter what the test showed us - like the "possibility" of something wrong - that it wouldn't make us love the baby any less and wouldn't change our minds about having it. We made the choice to accept the baby that we were blessed with, period. A lot of these tests are just that, "possibilities", and that just causes a lot of undue stress and worry on top of the normal worries of pregnancy. That's my opinion anyway.

If you are generally healthy and have had healthy babies in the past, or have no family history of problems, ask yourself if the test results would change your mind about having the baby. If not, then why put yourself through the tests, and why put the baby at risk? That is the angle we were looking at.

I'm pregnant again at age 39 Once again, I refused all tests that would be invasive to the baby. The only tests I do are blood sugar, urine, and sonograms.
[/b]
Very well said. For the same reasons, I have opted out of the testing.
October 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
mpwife_89's Avatar Veteran
LOL I too hate the term, advanced maternal age, LOL with our last 2 pregnancy's we opted out of testing except for the level 2 US. We decided that if they found anything unusual than we would THINK about an amnio. But other than that no.

Nicholas 17
Ashlee 16
Cassidy 14
Anthony 13
Dominic 18 months
Roman, Born July 6, 2006 at 1503, 9lbs 8ozs

October 30th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After much discussion, we opted for the amnio directly and bypassed the other tests - for the same reasons 3at40 has already described. Yes, the test was very helpful. I don't regret it, and would do it again. I wish you the best with your decision making process. It isn't easy! Smiles, shannon

November 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Regular
oops
November 15th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Regular
Seems like we've had every test under the sun in the past 25 weeks, most of which were not age related thank goodness. A thyroid check at 10 and 24 weeks, blood glucose tolerance at 25 weeks, 1st Level ultrasound (including nuchal translucency) at 12 weeks, 2nd Level ultrasound (anomaly scan) at 21 weeks,
the usual Rubella, RH, protein in the urine tests at 16 weeks... Yep they insist I'd have had them done even if i was 18 so thats a relief all the while I get implications they think I'm older than Jesus

I wanted to add.. here in Greece the level 1 & 2 ultrasounds (at least in my dr's office) are recommended to all pregnant women, regardless of their age.. and I was imagining the $ signs going up and up for my care & tests.. they weren't expensive at all 160 Euros for level 1 (including bloods) and 130 Euros for level 2. The amnio wasn't suggested as we only had 1 soft marker in level 1 (2.5 nuchal thickness) and 1 soft marker in level 2 (1 cardiac focus).

ooh ooh i forgot to mention
shee this is a long post
the man i go to to have the major ultrasounds done, (thats all he does btw no birthing babies),
was trained by Kypros Nicolaides of Kings Hospital (thats the one I think) in the UK, the guy
who actually perfected the nuchal translucency test.. so if he says I do it to women of all ages, I beleive him (oh that just doesn't sound right does it heheheh?)

Debs
November 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
i had a rough start to pg with a doctor that was terrible with me. I was never told about the earlier tests that could be done. I was strongly encouraged to do the amnio and not knowing I had other options I trusted this particular office. The amnio was actually the final reason I completely changed offices. I had a horrible amnio experience. The doctor took forever to come down to where I was, she had to use 2 needles, had problems drawing the fluid and had to have hit a nerve as I had pain everywhere. The entire womb was noticible ( to me) I have bad pains shooting into my left hip. I was in pain the rest of the day and felt bruised for about a week. It was not a normal experience from what I hear, lol. What infuriated me was that I NEVER made a peep. However you could tell I was in pain with my facial expressions. The doctor never said a word. Just finished and walked out. The tech was the one that comforted me and told me it was over. Would I do it again? not unless the doctor could assure me it wouldn't be like that again.
November 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
keljo05, what an awful experience! You poor thing!

You bring up an excellent point about doctors and experience.

Before having mine done, we inquired about the doctor and his success rate. Luckily, we live in a mid-sized city so the doctors in our area (there are only three that perform amnios) have had plenty of experience. Our particular doctor had been performing amnios since they first came about in the 1970s. He was excellent at it - I hardly felt a thing. My regular doctor told me to go ahead and inquire - that it was my right - before having the test done. She said the success rate stats vary greatly, and are directly related to the office/person performing the procedure. If anyone is in doubt about their doctor's skill, I encourage them to go ahead and ask questions about their background before scheduling the test. Jeepers keljo05 - you described my worst nightmare! I am so sorry you had to live through that....

November 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
What I hated is that I chose this group for being close to home, as well as hospital priveledges ( can i have spelled that worse, lol) to the hosp. closest to me. However this is one of the huge medical conglomerates that are so common. For an unremarkable pregnancy I was at one appt or another almost every week for the first 2 months after starting care. Oh and I can't tell you how many people were amazed that the doctors wouldn't even see me until I hit 12 weeks. This is a first ever pregnancy at age 36. In the end it's all for the better anyway as this is the office I wanted to be at but is a longer drive, plus I deliver in the hospital I prefer. I am still having an ongoing issue with the first office in re: to a mommorgam I had done the month before becoming pg, but thats a long story as well, lol.
December 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
maymay
I had the new test offered to 35+ called "First Trimester Screening"....it's an alternative to the amnio and noninvasive.....it's a blood test and a level 2 u/s. YOu get it done between 11 -13 wks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search