Anyone having weight isues? I mean really overweight?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Regular
It seems like every time I get pregnant, my body goes haywire in the weight dept.

I gained:
84 lbs with son #1
111 lbs with son#2
60 lbs with daughter (last year)
and so far.. 32 with son #3 (currently)

I never had the chance to get last year's baby weight off before I got pregnant and started gaining again. I've put on a total of 92 pounds in the last 20 or so months, and I was already overweight to begin with

I've always had to work extra hard to get and keep my weight under control, but it seems no matter what I do during pregnancy, I always pack it on. Now that I am older, it is really bothering me and I'm worried that I will have a hard time getting it back off this time, if I ever do. I'm starting to feel hopeless about it.

Anyone else dealing with this big of a weight issue? How is it affecting your self-image or your psyche? Do you have a plan to get it off after the baby?
October 9th, 2006, 07:05 AM
elmwolfe's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to elmwolfe Send a message via AIM to elmwolfe Send a message via Yahoo to elmwolfe
I'm sorry you are having so many weight issues. Hang in there.

Before I started TTC I was over 100lbs over a good weight for me. I lost 80+ before TTC and then gained a few back right before I got pregnant, so I am starting this pregnancy probably about 50lbs over a good weight for me. I have just been trying to eat healthy and watch my portions, all while monitoring my weight gain. I have managed to maintain throughout the first trimester so far with a moderate gain in the very beginning. I have my very first prenatal appt tomorrow, so I'm sure the Dr. will have a few recommendations for me in regards to eating healthy and what a healthy weight gain for me might be.

Has your dr. recommended anything for you to try?

After the birth I plan on going back to the low carb lifestyle I lost the weight with before. I'm still sticking to it while pregnant, albeit with a higher carb count daily intake and I do splurge on a few things from time to time, but I'm really trying to stay away from empty sugars and white flours/potatoes.

I would suggest sticking to a balanced diet high in protein, whole grains and lots of veggies. That's my ideal goal all during my pregnancy and hopefully I can keep my weight gain only to what is necessary.

Good Luck to you, and feel free to PM me if you need to. I know how difficult it is to live with all that weight and then to work so hard to get it off, but believe me, you can do it!

October 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Regular
Quote:
I'm sorry you are having so many weight issues. Hang in there.

Before I started TTC I was over 100lbs over a good weight for me. I lost 80+ before TTC and then gained a few back right before I got pregnant, so I am starting this pregnancy probably about 50lbs over a good weight for me. I have just been trying to eat healthy and watch my portions, all while monitoring my weight gain. I have managed to maintain throughout the first trimester so far with a moderate gain in the very beginning. I have my very first prenatal appt tomorrow, so I'm sure the Dr. will have a few recommendations for me in regards to eating healthy and what a healthy weight gain for me might be.

Has your dr. recommended anything for you to try?

After the birth I plan on going back to the low carb lifestyle I lost the weight with before. I'm still sticking to it while pregnant, albeit with a higher carb count daily intake and I do splurge on a few things from time to time, but I'm really trying to stay away from empty sugars and white flours/potatoes.

I would suggest sticking to a balanced diet high in protein, whole grains and lots of veggies. That's my ideal goal all during my pregnancy and hopefully I can keep my weight gain only to what is necessary.

Good Luck to you, and feel free to PM me if you need to. I know how difficult it is to live with all that weight and then to work so hard to get it off, but believe me, you can do it![/b]
Thank you for sharing your own situation I lost a great deal of weight before I got pregnant with my daughter last year. After years of steady gaining and having a lot of "strange" health problems - fatigue, coma-like sleep after eating, hair loss, memory issues, the list goes on.. I finally found a doctor who discovered I had a very severe yeast infection in my blood. It was killing my blood cells, therefore my blood wasn't functioning and my body was shutting down. It was all cured with a change in eating habits!

He told me to eat foods high in alkaline, which eliminated all sugars, flours, etc. When you alkalize your body, it "normalizes". The weight fell off and all my other problems cleared up, then I got pregnant with her and boom! Gained a lot back, and pregnant again, gaining again.

I guess I will stick to that plan since it worked for me, its just depressing to have gained so much back after I had been so devoted to getting healthy and fit. I don't know if I will ever find the energy to stay with it again and get active again. Maybe thats just my current "worn out self" talking though

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

By the way, I expressed my concerns to 3 of my docs (they rotate) and asked to speak to a dietitian about it. I was put in a diabetic class with some ladies who had gestational diabetes. It wasn't what I asked for, but its all they offered. The dietitian never strayed off of her rehearsed topic to answer any of my specific questions, so I didn't get much from it. She even asked why I was there since I don't have GD, and let me go after the first half of the class.
October 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you are discouraged. Maybe after this baby is born you will be so busy, your weight will come off easier.

So far, this pg, I have been trying to eat small portions of protein all day long. Not so fun in the morning, but I really think it helps my nausea and keeps me from getting hungry.
I made pork chops, and steak taco meat and then bought the lunch meat at the deli that doesn't have the nitrates in it.

I seem to be craving that lately and it really seems to be helping me not over eat and not go for the junk food. (which I love)
<div align="center"></div>
October 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
BestWishes05's Avatar Veteran
I am also going through weight gain issues. For years I got down and stayed at my lowest weight
(125-140lbs, size 6). I also had an eating disorder (never ate). I had constant headaches and low energy. Of course I looked perfect to everyone else so they thought I was healthy and at the perfect weight......... My family was always commenting on how "good I looked". In April I addressed my eating disorder and began eating much more healthy and gained about 20 lbsl. I also found out I was pregnant. The first 3 months of my pregnancy I had m/s most of the day and night. The only thing that seemed to relieve it was small meals. At my last Dr. appt I was at 200lbs and I almost "gasped". My Dr. for the first time told me to watch my weight gain. I have been trying to do better, but its so hard....... The last time my mother-in-law called she actually asked me how much I weighed and why I would let myself get so big (mind you she has always been a plus size woman). I was so upset, I told my husband that the next time I spoke with her I was going to tell her that "weight" is not an issue I care to discuss. With my 3 previous pregnancies I always weighed around 200lbs when they were born, no matter what my weight was to begin with. I keep reminding myself that its ok to gain weight, just try to eat healthy. But its not easy. Thanks for letting me vent........ sorry to ramble

Tami
October 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am also going through weight gain issues. For years I got down and stayed at my lowest weight
(125-140lbs, size 6). I also had an eating disorder (never ate). I had constant headaches and low energy. Of course I looked perfect to everyone else so they thought I was healthy and at the perfect weight......... My family was always commenting on how "good I looked". In April I addressed my eating disorder and began eating much more healthy and gained about 20 lbsl. I also found out I was pregnant. The first 3 months of my pregnancy I had m/s most of the day and night. The only thing that seemed to relieve it was small meals. At my last Dr. appt I was at 200lbs and I almost "gasped". My Dr. for the first time told me to watch my weight gain. I have been trying to do better, but its so hard....... The last time my mother-in-law called she actually asked me how much I weighed and why I would let myself get so big (mind you she has always been a plus size woman). I was so upset, I told my husband that the next time I spoke with her I was going to tell her that "weight" is not an issue I care to discuss. With my 3 previous pregnancies I always weighed around 200lbs when they were born, no matter what my weight was to begin with. I keep reminding myself that its ok to gain weight, just try to eat healthy. But its not easy. Thanks for letting me vent........ sorry to ramble

Tami[/b]
That is what JM is for. You are allowed to talk openly and share the things that are tough.
<div align="center"></div>
October 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM
mpwife_89's Avatar Veteran
I too am over my ideal weight. During my pregnancies I havnt gained much weight, its always right after for some reason. With the last 2 though, I have managed to lose weight and keep losing after the pregnancies. I have done portion control and just walking a few times a week.

Nicholas 17
Ashlee 16
Cassidy 14
Anthony 13
Dominic 18 months
Roman, Born July 6, 2006 at 1503, 9lbs 8ozs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search