Dealing with sticky situations.

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Regular
This is a place to discuss situations that come up that might be awkward. Let me give you an example!

My mother got a little dog several months ago. Its her BABY. She adopted it from my grown son, so the dog is familiar with all of us. I went to visit today with my 11 month old. Mom was happy to see her and interacted with her a little bit, but most of the time she was cuddling that dog. She even started to call my daughter by the dogs name a couple times because she is so use to saying it.

At one point, my daughter crawled over to my mom and stood up holding her seat. When she reached for my mom to pick her up, the dog came across mom's lap, growled, and nipped her fingers. No harm was done, but the whole ordeal was shocking. The dog had never been aggressive before.

Well, I mentioned that the dog might need a kennel or indoor leash for when mom has company, and she got totally offended.

I really don't know how to react. Its as if that dog is more important than her grand baby's safety. She'd rather keep the dog in her lap and baby it than to put the dog up somewhere else and visit with my daughter.

With another baby on the way, I'm really not sure what to do. I don't get to see my parents often unless I visit at they're house. They never come to mine, as they don't like going out much.

Thoughts??
October 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
BestWishes05's Avatar Veteran
That is a sticky situation.

I have had to give away 2 small dogs because of that same problem. When they were younger they were not aggressive. But as they got older they were very "snappy, territorial and unpredictible". I think it is very reasonable to ask your parents to put the dog in another room, in a kennel or on a leash, when you are visiting. I am sorry you have to go through this with your family.
October 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
mpwife_89's Avatar Veteran
small dogs tend to have this problem. Her doggy is probably a bit jealous of the baby. Im sorry she was offended but you are only looking out for the safety of you child and baby that is to come. She will just have to help solve the issue or risk not having visits from you all. Good luck.

Nicholas 17
Ashlee 16
Cassidy 14
Anthony 13
Dominic 18 months
Roman, Born July 6, 2006 at 1503, 9lbs 8ozs

October 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is very sticky because she got offended when you said it should be put away. If she is against it then you may have to get really firm and not visit if she wont at least leash it. It will cause hard feelings if you say NO I am not coming over if you wont leash it but you cant risk your baby being nipped. Hard hard sticky situation. I am sorry you have to deal with it at all.
I have dogs and if we have adults over I will lock them up if they are too hyper or the adults dont like dogs. I wouldnt even dream of having them loose with friends kids running around here.
October 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Barbi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Barbi
Quote:
It is very sticky because she got offended when you said it should be put away. If she is against it then you may have to get really firm and not visit if she wont at least leash it. It will cause hard feelings if you say NO I am not coming over if you wont leash it but you cant risk your baby being nipped. Hard hard sticky situation. I am sorry you have to deal with it at all.
I have dogs and if we have adults over I will lock them up if they are too hyper or the adults dont like dogs. I wouldnt even dream of having them loose with friends kids running around here.[/b]

Maybe you could talk to your dad about it? He might see what you are saying where your mom may not.

October 16th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Regular
Thanks so much for the replies. I am going to stand my ground (in a nice way) that the dog needs to be put up when I visit. If mom prefers not to, then it will be her decision to be keeping us away. I hope she realizes how serious the situation is, not just towards the baby, but anyone visiting who might get too close to her when the dog is in her lap.

We used to do animal rescue and had a house full of animals who came and went as they pleased. As soon as I found out I was pregnant last year, the animals went outside, or found homes. We still have 8 cats and 5 dogs, but they all live very comfortably outside and are forbidden to come in anymore. I simply won't put my babies at risk for anything, or anyone. As they get bigger, we may or may not consider a house pet again (its nice not having one underfoot or having hair all over). Until then, we take the baby outside to visit the cats and hold her up to the fence to see her dogs.

Funny how quickly your priorities changed when you have a baby

PS: Unfortunately, my dad doesn't have an opinion on the topic, he just kind of goes with the flow.. mom's flow

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search