Inversion/C-Section

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM
peybecgray
Hi there. Fairly new to the group but seeking some opinions/experience.

I am currently pregnant with #4. This baby has not turned and is transverse, has been nearly from day 1 -- I swear it feels that way. Anyhow, next appointment the doc says if baby hasn't turned we need to seriously look at the options -- which will put me at about 36 weeks.

I can either attempt to have an inversion done -- where they turn the baby, or schedule for a c-section at 39 weeks and hope the baby turns before then. I have had a feeling all along that this baby is going to be different and was hoping for a "normal" delivery again. It worries me to have a c-section done but the inversion also seems a little scary/painful.

I have 3 other children. Would prefer a vaginal delivery but am afraid of the effects of them trying to turn him, so many things could go wrong, plus I would have to go to the city to do it and not have my doctor do the delivery should something "go wrong". With a c-section, I have the opportunity for him to turn on his own, but recovery time is horrible, or so I've heard. This can be a problem with 3 other kids in the house.

Anyhow, has anyone had any experience with either?

Thanks in advance.

Catherine
October 18th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Regular
I would try the inversion if I were you. Although I think that the baby will probably just turn on his own (hopefully). Anyway I've had two c-sections and the recovery sucks! Epecially if you have other children to take care of. I really want to deliver vaginally this time. Hopefully I can. I would do everything possible to avoid the c-section.
October 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
peybecgray
Quote:
I would try the inversion if I were you. Although I think that the baby will probably just turn on his own (hopefully). Anyway I've had two c-sections and the recovery sucks! Epecially if you have other children to take care of. I really want to deliver vaginally this time. Hopefully I can. I would do everything possible to avoid the c-section.[/b]

Thanks so much for the reply. No one else replied, I guess that means nobody else has any experience with this? I keep hoping he turns on his own but he seems to like this transverse position. I agree with you, after a lot of investigation, I think I am going to try the version first. I am lucky because he is transverse and not completely breech so it should be a little easier, plus they give you something to relax your uterus. Anyhow, hopefully he will turn before my next appointment otherwise it looks like they will try to turn him after 36 weeks, which is my next appointment.

Again, thanks.
October 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
BestWishes05's Avatar Veteran
No one else replied, I guess that means nobody else has any experience with this?

I just wanted to wish you luck. Please keep us posted. I have never had any experience with this, but my thoughts are with you.

Tami
October 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Veteran
I never had to deal with inversion...I hope that baby turns around!

But I have had 2 c-sections and in my case, recover was quite easy. Everyone is different in terms of how they recover from c-sections. Don't assume if it was bad for one person, it will be for you.

October 18th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Regular
I have experienced similar to what you have mentioned. My first never turned and I went into labor with him. They tried and tried to turn him both by pushing outside, and me pushing. It was a horrible experience. They finally did an emergency c-section with him, due to both of us being very stressed. I wouldn't ever risk putting a baby through that again, nor myself.

I had a planned c-section last year at 39 weeks. Everything went well, and for me, recovery was a breeze. Yes, I was incredibly sore for a few days. Yes, it was a challenge to bend and get up and down for a few days. Yes, it hurt like hell when I laughed (and man did my older boys get a kick out of making me crack up!). BUT, it didn't stop me from doing the things I needed to do.

I was actually up walking the hospital floor the same day I had the surgery. The sooner you get yourself up and moving, the faster you will heal. I personally think it has a lot to do with will power and mind power. Some ladies on the floor lay in bed eating pain pills and refused to try to get up. So, its a matter of you deciding to do what you need to do.

I am also having a c-section this time at 39 weeks (December 9th). I am confident I can recover quickly again, and that my baby won't be in danger of the stress of a complicated delivery. Its also a much more relaxed atmosphere, since its planned.

I guess the bottom line is to weigh your risks and options. Will the scarring bother you? Are you a strong willed person? What are the chances of trying to turn the baby in labor and ending up having an emergency section anyway? There are a lot of things to consider. For me, it was whatever was best and less risky for the baby, I knew I had the will and resolve to get up and get on with it

PS. Sometimes it takes people a while to check back in here and respond, just give it a few days before you give up on responses

Good luck to you whichever way you go!
October 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
peybecgray
Hope I didn't sound "grumpy" because not many replied. I wasn't mad or anything, just wished there was more info out there on this. But thanks for all of the advice.

I have heard that the sooner you get up from a c-section the better the recovery. And I believe your attitude has a lot to do with many things.

Anyhow, maybe I won't have to make this decision and he'll just turn. There's hope, right?

Hugs to all and thanks for the replies.
October 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Just lurking, hopefully some day soon I will join you all

I don't know anything on this subject but I wanted to share something I heard last month. My 4 year old is in a parent-participation preschool. Once a month all the parents have a general meeting and the first hour is spent on educating us. They had a chiroprator there who specializes in family medicine. He is certified to work on young children as well as all the rest of us. Anyhow (yep getting to my point), they actually spent a good 5-10 minutes talking about how a very simple adjustment helps pregnant women when the baby is in the wrong position. Now I was only half paying attention but I am sure there is actually a name for how they do it and it is 'supposed' to be much safer than a traditional inversion.

Now I wish I had paid more attention but I wanted to throw that out there so you can look at an alternative

Good luck and I hope your little one just decides to turn on his/her own.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
October 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM
peybecgray
Thanks so much KittyMomma, I think it's called a Webster's adjustment, or something like that. It's worth a try, but I have good news -- I think he's turned.
October 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Quote:
Thanks so much KittyMomma, I think it's called a Webster's adjustment, or something like that. It's worth a try, but I have good news -- I think he's turned.[/b]
Ohhh yes that sounds familiar! But wooohoo on him turning That is so much better than having to resort to anything else!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search