The Weight Gain Game

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Greetings ladies! I hope everyone is feeling fine and doing well this week! I am writing to solicit your feedback on the weight gain issue – as in, how much is too much? I’ve read that an average woman should gain between 25 and 35 pounds during her pregnancy, but have also read conflicting reports about ‘when’ the weight should be gained. Are you monitoring yours? How much have you gained? Are you satisfied with that, or? I’ve been monitoring mine weekly with much interest. It isn’t about vanity so much as health and wanting to feel as good as possible for my baby girl. At my age (our ages? smile) I know it is harder to lose extra pounds than it used to be. Plus, I quit smoking just before getting pregnant. I’m afraid of gaining too much too soon because of that. Anyone who has ever quit smoking knows you can pack on a few pounds of pudge very easily if you don’t watch it.

Last time I weighed was last Thurs at 21 weeks. I had gained 15.5 pounds total - all of it after the 10th week, at an average 1 to 2 pounds a week. The last weigh-in was the most startling - 2.8 lbs in one week! At this rate, I am afraid I’ll be over 40 or 50 pounds by the end. Also, I’ve read that most of the weight should come during the last trimester. Has anyone found this to be true? Are you concerned about gaining too much? Too little? What were your previous pregnancies like in this light, if you had any?

Thanks in advance for any replies - d.

October 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With DS, I lost 3 pounds the first trimester, even though I ate everything in sight. By the time I delivered I'd gained 31 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight (but DS was 3 weeks early, so I'd have been 35-40 if full term). My fastest growth was during month 5 when I gained 8-10 pounds one month. That's really all I remember. It's been a while.

With this one, I gained 7 pounds first trimester. I don't own a scale, so I won't know what I've gained the last month until next Monday.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
October 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not really monitoring my weight. I try to eat healthy. I gained 16 pounds, 10 in the last month. It scared me a little but I know I went a little too much in the bread and less in the fruits/veggies. So, I am trying to go back in eating more of fruits/veggies. As long as my baby is healthy,...but I sure hope not to gain as much for the next doc. appointment.
October 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gained a lot between 20 and 30 weeks (6 pounds every 4 weeks for a while) but then my weight gain really tapered off in the last 7 weeks. Don't worry too much but if you are concerned try getting some regular exercise. It REALLY helps and not just with the weight gain but genreally feeling better in the last trimester. I have gained a total of 27 pounds so far with 3 weeks to go so I will probably be up to 30 by the time this is over.

I think they say about a pound/week starting at 10 weeks is what you should be aiming for but I wouldn't be too worried about being a few pounds off.

October 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you 4iris, Yoshi and margo1973. I appreciate your replies and personal insights. Margo, my doctor somewhat echoed your thoughts just yesterday - it all makes me feel less apprehensive about it, so thank you thank you. Only three weeks to go? That's wonderful! I'm sure you're counting the hours....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search