How safe is to have kids over 35?

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
My son turns one YO old soon and I am getting the urge to have a 3rd child but my husband wants to wait a 2 or 3 years before we have another child. I'm 33 now and I am worried that waiting until I am 35-37 will increase the chances of something going wrong with the pregancy.

Are my fears mostly unfounded? I see women on TV over 35 having babies all the time but I have also heard that having a child over the age of 35 basically doubles the risks of something going wrong.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
Mia
October 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Mia,

I don’t believe the risk doubles, but it increases. There are stats available via the internet. If you search on “pregnancy after 35” in Google you will find many articles and studies on the subject. Some of them are pessimistic. Others downplay the risks, using words like “sight increase”. It’s difficult to know what is true, and even more so what is true for you. Age is just one factor. Your family genetics and general health play a role, too. Perhaps your doctor could best advise you?

Best wishes! d.

October 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM
peybecgray
Hi, I am 37 and on number 4. I had #3 at 34. Hmmm, regarding safety and age. Sure the "complications" increase but you'd be surprised at just how little. Like PP said, it depends upon many things, your health, family's health history, etc., etc. I think age is just a number and your body knows better than anything. I had the ultrasound test done early in my pregnancy to check for Down's and what not, it came back clear, but that is as far as I would go with the tests. I wasn't in any more "danger" than anyone else who was 10 years younger for genetic risks.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Good luck.
October 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies. I did a search on Google like you suggested but I am even more confused now than I was when I started. It was exactly like you said, very confusing.

I am in pretty good health and my family's history is pretty clear of any major problems with children. No handicaps, etc. that I can think of. But, none of them had a child past either. I don't think.

I just don't know what to think. My body says "yeah, it's probably ok to wait a couple more years" but my mind says "what are you crazy? Try to have a child now and lower the risks."

I guess I am caught up in the emotions of my DS turning 1 and that doesn't help any. He crawls and stands and will soon be walking. I would so love to have another baby! They are just so cute and snuggly.
October 24th, 2006, 05:54 PM
mpwife_89's Avatar Veteran
I can tell you each situation is different. Of course there are different risks as we age, BUT I have had 2 pregnancies in my 30's. 1 at 34 and 1 at 35 and had no issues...

Nicholas 17
Ashlee 16
Cassidy 14
Anthony 13
Dominic 18 months
Roman, Born July 6, 2006 at 1503, 9lbs 8ozs

October 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Logan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was born when I was 32. The second at 37 and this one (which was surprise) at 42... I will be very close to 43.

All of them are healthy.

Proud mom of: Joshua (25), Paul (25), Krista (23), Adam (11), Lauren (6), Anna Janelle.
November 15th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Regular
and don't forget our grands and great-grands kept having babies until menopause.. sure alot died, but I reckon the reason for this wasn't age related but probably unhygienic conditions in the delivery room, lack of prenatal care, heck lack of dr's most of the time Oh and I forgot maybe after 12 kids and working picking potatoes in the fields all day wasn't exactly condusive to healthy pregnancies.. We may be over 35 but in comparison we're probably in our mid 20's
November 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Regular
I am 38 and our son is due January 28th 2007.

With the exceptions of the normal aches and pains, everything is going great!! The greatest risk associated with pregnancy after 35 is Downs Syndrome. As a woman gets older , so do her eggs. BUT, any pregnant woman, no matter what age, can have a downs baby... Not all eggs are created equal.

I think that in the past it was more dangerous, and certainly frowned upon, to have children in your mid to late thirties. With all the advancements in technology these day , many women 35 and up are having happy, healhty, normal pregnancies!!

On a side note, when we were tested for Downs, the results were 1 in 700 that our son would have it. Those results are consistant with women 35 and younger.. ...
November 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Logan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am 38 and our son is due January 28th 2007.

With the exceptions of the normal aches and pains, everything is going great!! The greatest risk associated with pregnancy after 35 is Downs Syndrome. As a woman gets older , so do her eggs. BUT, any pregnant woman, no matter what age, can have a downs baby... Not all eggs are created equal.

I think that in the past it was more dangerous, and certainly frowned upon, to have children in your mid to late thirties. With all the advancements in technology these day , many women 35 and up are having happy, healhty, normal pregnancies!!

On a side note, when we were tested for Downs, the results were 1 in 700 that our son would have it. Those results are consistant with women 35 and younger.. ...[/b]
My doctor told me that the risk of having a baby with a birth defect is much higher than having one with Downs. At my age (42) I have a 1 in 90 chance of having a Downs baby but a 1 in 40 chance of having a baby with another kind of birth defect. That is without having any testing done... those are just general stats.

I must have looked a bit concerned because his comment was that my odds were still excellent that the baby was goig to be fine. There would have to be 40 forty-two yr old women having babies and 1 would have a birth defect. I'm not going to stress over that.

Proud mom of: Joshua (25), Paul (25), Krista (23), Adam (11), Lauren (6), Anna Janelle.
November 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Regular
[quote]
Quote:
..... I'm not going to stress over that.
That is the best way to go about it. I refused to stress, even when our AFP came back abnormal. Turns out they had my birth year down as 1960 instead of 1968... so in the end everything was normal for us.

Birth defects are a greater risk for older women, but with us they ruled them out pretty early on. I was just trying to relay the fact that these days with the technology, having children later in life is not as "dangerous" as it used to be perceived as... Like they say, every pregnancy is different!!!
November 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
sunshinemommie's Avatar Super Mommy
A good talk with your Dr and healthy lifestyle are key. Make sure you get your info from someone you know and trust. My Dr gave me the stats and they did scare the h*** out of me, but I still refused all the testing and my daughter is healthy and happy. Someone else posted that you can have a downs syndrome child at any age... I know of 2 women that had children with downs in their 20's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search