Question for you re: pregnancy over 35

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and congratulations to all of you expectant mommies!

DH and I are considering another baby in our future. I will be 35 in May. What are the "extras" that you are put through, if any, by Drs? Are you immediately considered high risk? Additional testing?

Thanks for any experience or advice you have to offer.

January 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome mamatolots! I was 35 when I conceived. Turned 36 last November. Dr's do not automatically impose anything on you that I am aware of. Additional testing, as with any pregnancy, is generally optional. My doctor did not specifically recommend anything, which was a tad frustrating actually. Each time I would ask, "Am I really considered high risk?" they would repeat the stats about how the chances of such-and-such increases at age 35 - but without truly answering my question. My experience is with an HMO, though - where there is no personalization for the patient whatsoever. Your own doctor could probably better answer your question. Congrats on your decision to consider another child! Best wishes - d.

~ edited for spelling ~

January 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
BestWishes05's Avatar Veteran
Welcome Mamotolots
I had 3 children in my 20's and now I am getting ready to deliver my 4th at 40 years old. I found a good OB that I liked, she does not focus on my age, rather my individual pregnancy. I was offered the same testing as most mothers of all ages, other than the amnio, and this was a "choice" that I could make. I have had a great pregnancy. I feel much more tired than I did in my 20's, but of course, my memory is not as good as it use to be. Goodluck and please keep us posted. Tami
January 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In the area I live in, if you are 35 you are considered high risk. You have 2 choices of Drs. One 25 minutes away another 45 minutes away. When I was pregnant last year the Dr 25 minutes away was in Afganhstan so I had to take the other Dr. Which After I got to know him and found out that the hospital he was affiliated with had a level 3 nicu I was happy.

January 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
BestWishes05's Avatar Veteran
Welcome MSS
Congradulations on your new lil one Your son is so cute. Wow, your babies will be very close in age. I hope you are having a good pregnancy. Tami
January 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I am due to have my 3rd child next month and I will turn 40 before he/she is born. So I was 39 when I got pg. I had my 2nd child at age 38. The group I use has 5 Dr's. When I was pg with 2 the first apt was w/a very relaxed type of dr. He said there could be problems because of your age but testing is up to you. With this one I saw dr doom at my first visit who felt it was very important to tell me all the things that could be wrong because of my age. When I left that day he almost had me feeling guilty about daring to get pg again at my age. And of course the "advanced maternal age" label stinks. Thats what they write when you have testing done. I chose to have an amnio done with pg 2 and 3. I was in my 20's when I had #1. The amnio was MY choice only. It was suggested to me but not pushed. I didnt see Dr Doom again till after the amno was done so he no longer had any statistics to tell me lol. I chose to have it done just so I would be prepared if something was wrong. If there was I would rather have time to prepare at home for whatever it was instead of finding out right after giving birth. I didnt bother with any of the other tests that are offered because there are false positives with these and if they say there is a chance something is wrong you would just end up with the amnio anyway. so I figure why bother w/all that and just have the one test done. I happen to love one of the OB's in my group though and trust him 100% when it comes to his skill. If I was not so confident and comfortable with him I dont know if I would have had them done. He did my D & C a few years ago when I was dealing with bleeding problems, my amnio, c-section, the next amnio, and if a CS is needed again then he will be doing that too. If you decide to have an amnio make sure you know how many your ob has done and if he has ever had problems doing them.
If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me anytime.
BTW I have to ask, are all those children your biological children? There is a woman in my due date club that has 11 and is expecting her 12! I personally couldnt handle it but think those of you that can are amazing and so very lucky. A housefull of children is a wonderful thing in my eyes. But at my age its not going to happen. And with as miserable as I get the last 2 months of being pg I know this is going to be my last pg.
February 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Welcome!

I was 37 when I had my son and we're TTC baby #2 right now.

When pregnant with Logan I had lots of choices about various tests including an Amnio. I also had a few extra ultrasounds to take detailed measurements and stats on the baby.

I think it depends on how laid back your Dr. is and how you feel. There is never any pressure to take these tests...it's something that you and your Dr. would discuss, with you and DH making the final decisions about the testing. We opted not to do the Amnio because we got high/positive numbers on our tests that ruled out a few abnormalities. It's all a personal choice though.

It's all very nerve wrecking as far as I'm concerned.....good luck to you and welcome again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search