Recommendations & ideas????

Forum: Pregnancy Over 35

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Over 35 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OK...so I camped out in Borders bookstore this morning. (Except for the few minutes when the gas pains got so bad that it made me really crampy and uncomfortable and I started seeing stars and thought I was going to pass out, so I practically ran across the store to get a water so that I would quit sweating) I am so lost as to what book to buy. I have a copy of "What to expect...." that a girlfriend gave me and I picked up "The girlfriends guide to pregnancy", but that looks more humorous than informational.

First, does anyone have any recommendations for good books to read during pregnancy? I was thinking that maybe tomorrow I would go to Barnes and Noble and camp out there for a while (with water, in case of emergency).

Off that subject, I picked up the cutest Boyd's bear named Ima Late to give my mother in law to tell her we are PG (whenever we do that). She collects Teddy Bears, and this one is pregnant wearing a shirt that says Baby on Board! She will love it! It is about the only part of telling her we are PG that I am looking forward to (that is a story for another day )

Second, I need a good way to tell my mom & stepdad and my dad and stepmom. Ideas? The only thing I have come up with to tell my dad & stepmom, my DH thinks is stupid (after my stepsister announced her PG last month, dad said that they are leaving town if I call anytime soon and say that I am PG.... I have a stepsis-in-law due in May, my sis in sept, and my stepsis due in Oct...so I thought I would get him a package of change of address announcements. I personally find it hysterical.) Soooo, I am looking for ways to tell both sets of parents. Help!!!!!
March 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
nene_amanda's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nene_amanda
Quote:
OK...so I camped out in Borders bookstore this morning. (Except for the few minutes when the gas pains got so bad that it made me really crampy and uncomfortable and I started seeing stars and thought I was going to pass out, so I practically ran across the store to get a water so that I would quit sweating) I am so lost as to what book to buy. I have a copy of "What to expect...." that a girlfriend gave me and I picked up "The girlfriends guide to pregnancy", but that looks more humorous than informational.

First, does anyone have any recommendations for good books to read during pregnancy? I was thinking that maybe tomorrow I would go to Barnes and Noble and camp out there for a while (with water, in case of emergency).

Off that subject, I picked up the cutest Boyd's bear named Ima Late to give my mother in law to tell her we are PG (whenever we do that). She collects Teddy Bears, and this one is pregnant wearing a shirt that says Baby on Board! She will love it! It is about the only part of telling her we are PG that I am looking forward to (that is a story for another day )

Second, I need a good way to tell my mom & stepdad and my dad and stepmom. Ideas? The only thing I have come up with to tell my dad & stepmom, my DH thinks is stupid (after my stepsister announced her PG last month, dad said that they are leaving town if I call anytime soon and say that I am PG.... I have a stepsis-in-law due in May, my sis in sept, and my stepsis due in Oct...so I thought I would get him a package of change of address announcements. I personally find it hysterical.) Soooo, I am looking for ways to tell both sets of parents. Help!!!!![/b]

i read what to expect but i really like the book "pregnancy for dummies" its informational despite the name
March 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Regular
Quote:

Second, I need a good way to tell my mom & stepdad and my dad and stepmom. Ideas? The only thing I have come up with to tell my dad & stepmom, my DH thinks is stupid (after my stepsister announced her PG last month, dad said that they are leaving town if I call anytime soon and say that I am PG.... I have a stepsis-in-law due in May, my sis in sept, and my stepsis due in Oct...so I thought I would get him a package of change of address announcements. I personally find it hysterical.) Soooo, I am looking for ways to tell both sets of parents. Help!!!!![/b]
June 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Regular
I would Suggest "The Birth Partner Everything you need to know to help a women through childbirth" by Penny Simkin Second Edition! This is great for you both, you will learn alot and so will he, it has grey shaded sections inside the chapters, like clif's notes if you will, lots of pictures, but Very educational required reading for us pro's i have it highlighted and stick noted for my dads to be! Good Luck & Happy Birthing
June 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Regular
I picked up Your pregnancy after 35, and the Mayo Clinic's book. The Mayo book is more of a reference book, not a straight read. But it has a lot of information.
Your pregnancy after 35 I found to be quite reassuring.
I did enjoy the Girlfriend's guide. It is humorous, but hits on some of the changes that the more practicle books don't pay much attention to that might send a grown woman into a crying fit.
June 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
guerbs's Avatar Regular
I gotta add that I love the girlfriend's guide. It is so worth the read. I laughed so hard and so much of it is just dead on! I also recommend the Mayo books they do a good job.

Kim, I'm so impressed you have kept this from your family! For my second pregnancy I did a scrap book of Matthew for my MIL and the last page of the book was an U/S picture of Jay. It was great because we caught the whole thing on video. Maybe you could scan the u/s picture onto your change of address card?

#3 Due 1/12/08 - It will be a surprise

June 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
MammaNole's Avatar Veteran
http://www.publix.com/clubs/baby/QandA.do
Go to this site and they will mail you a free book. It's birth to five years. It gives you everything you need to know. I never had to use any of these books for my children. The one I did use was "what to expect when your expecting" the rest I winged. lol
June 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Kim, I'm so impressed you have kept this from your family! For my second pregnancy I did a scrap book of Matthew for my MIL and the last page of the book was an U/S picture of Jay. It was great because we caught the whole thing on video. Maybe you could scan the u/s picture onto your change of address card?[/b]
Amy, I originally posted that a couple months ago. We had sooooooo much fun telling most of our family! We told them about 6 weeks ago, It was great!!!! We gave my MIL the teddy bear, copies of our first u/s pictures, and a picture she wanted of DH and I on vacation in January. She was excited, but actually, I think the best part for her was the pic of DH and I.....go figure! Not quite the reaction we were expecting. For my Mom, I made a small scrapbook and put our first u/s pictures in it. She cried immediately, so did my stepfather! My mom still carries the scrapbook with her everywhere she goes (it also has updated pics from our Nuchal Transleucency u/s in it now) because someone she meets might not know yet that she is going to be a Grandma!!!! She is so excited! Her excitement has been lots of fun for my DH and I!!! Telling my dad didn't go the way it was supposed to (long story, but nothing with my dad ever goes right), so we ended up telling him on the phone about a week later. My Mom's great reaction made up for the other "less than enthusiastic" responses. Kind of strange for a first grandchild (my dads stepdaughter has a baby, but this is his first "real" grandchild)!!! Oh well.... everyone is pretty excited now.

Shannon, I am looking into ordering the book right now!! Thanks!!! (I think collecting books on pregnancy is becoming an addiction!!!!! )
June 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
What to expect is not a great book. While the information is there its the question answer format that leaves it lacking.

conception, pregnancy and birth I think is by Miriam Stoddart
your pregnancy week by week
everything pregnant
pregnancy for dummies
and any book on the subject written by Vickie Iovine how is absolutely hilarious to read.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search