questions about what I see on the various classifieds?

Forum: Surrogate Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Surrogate Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I glanced at a couple websites with classifieds.
Some surrogates mention their BMI. Some do not.
I was told that some RE's have limits, like 18 low and 30 high.
Just what are the averages on this?

And I saw some ads, and the ladies had more births by c-section, than not.

How important will things like BMI, and c-section be to IP's?

My BMI is rather low being a skinny bean pole.

I've only given birth once, but it was not c-section.

Thanks.
February 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
I don't have actual figures to share, but just some info from what I have noticed.

BMI can and will play a role only in the case where the surrogate's BMI is higher. Most clinics want something lower than 30. Some are even stricter and want less than 28. I know the risks involved are what causes those restrictions. As far as the lower end, I do not think I have ever heard of an RE saying someone has too low of a BMI, but I am sure that it could happen if someone is extremely little, and possibly dealing with an eating disorder. Other than that, I don't see an RE turning someone away with a lower BMI as long as the person is healthy and taking care of their body like they should. But that really will depend on the RE. Most IP's will most likely want someone with a healthier BMI over someone with a really high one. In a low case, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

C-sections are a popular thing now because people can schedule them. With having IP's who live in different states and sometimes international (like mine are) scheduled c-sections allow for pre-planning of a birth. They can buy plane tickets, book hotels and rent cars all knowing when the child or children will be born. And with IVF, there are many multiples born in the surrogacy world and not many women give birth naturally to multiples anymore. Doctors want to make sure everything is safe and having a schedule c-section gives the doctors the power to make sure everything goes as they want it to go.

However....with all of that said, many women choose to have more natural births because of the fact that c-sections are surgery. It takes them at least 2 weeks to begin to recover while natural birthing can have a woman back on her feet after a few hours, maybe days if it is a hard birth. Also, in the surrogacy world, there are many surrogates who want another journey and having a c-section can take that opportunity away. Clinics and agencies will restrict women who have had multiple c-sections. So that is another reason surrogates choose to have natural births. This option will also be less costly for an IP. With c-sections, many surrogates charge an extra fee, plus bed-rest and childcare will be charged as well. With a natural birth, this is much less as there is no extra fee, less bed-rest and less childcare can be involved.

In a few words, having a low BMI and a vaginal birth will make you more approachable by IP's than if you had a higher BMI and multiple c-sections.

Hope that helps a bit!!!
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
yes....thanks.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search