what are the events from the date of admission to the date of dismissal?

Forum: Surrogate Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Surrogate Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
What are the events, from the first day a SM enters the hospital, until the day they are able to go home?

The IP's are alerted that the birth is near. They travel to the hospital. The hospital staff is ready.
The child is born.

Then what?

I have seen various comments on some boards about the SM "saying it is ok for the IP's to be there."
(I'd think they would want to be there and be "entitled" to be there).
And a situation where a SM was not allowed to see the newborn baby. The doctor took the baby to a private room where the new parents were waiting.

So, how long after birth is it, before the surrogate is able to go home?

How long after birth is it ok for the baby to leave the hospital and go home with the parents?
My child and I were released from the hospital after 48 hours.

In the case of a surrogacy and the possibility of travel by the new parents, does the child stay at the hospital for a few days, and cared for as far as feeding, by the hospital staff?

Does the IP's have insurance that kicks in on the date of birth to cover this extended hospital stay?

Or does the surrogate's policy cover any of this? (how can it, if the surrogate and the baby are in separate rooms and the surrogate may be released to go home, while the baby may stay a few days longer, before being able to go home with it's parents?)

T h a n k s
March 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
NCAMomma's Avatar Veteran
It's really no different than any other pregnancy. Other than the baby goes to the parents not the woman who just gave birth. As with any delivery the doctors release patients (surrogate/babies) as their health dictates.

The baby and the surrogate are not linked unless they are in a state that does not allow for a prebirth order and in which case it will depend on the hospitals policy.

As for are the parents allowed at the birth? Yes, in general they are unless it is a c-section and then it depends on the hospitals policy on how many people are allowed into the OR.

The baby goes home in the same normal amount of time any other baby would go home. The hospital staff is not in charge of the baby for feeding that parents are just like any other baby.

Clearly if the baby is not healthy or the surrogate has a c-secion or complications of birth their individual hospital stays could be extended.

An uneducated nursing staff can be no fun if they view it as adoption and a tragedy for with either party as opposed to the celebration is it but that is just dealing with attitudes not logistics.

Typically they all show up at the hospital, delivery takes place and everyone is released.

I can tell you our experience- We all went to the hospital and went into L&D, our daughter was a footing breech so a c-section was ordered. We hung out in L&D for a few hours until they could get her into the OR. At that time they took my husband and I into a waiting area in between the OR and the nursery. Our surrogates husband went into the OR to be a support person to his wife. When the baby was delivered they brought her out to us and handed her to me and then after a few minutes of joyful tears my husband carried her into the new born nursery to be checked out and cleaned up. We the parents, were the only people allowed into the nursery with our daughter. We were in there for a few hours taking care of her letting our surrogate finish the surgery and get settled into her room. We took the baby to see her in the room. The hospital peds and maternity floors were completely filled or they would have given us our own room so our choices were limited to staying in the nursery with the baby or in our surrogates room with her. Most of the time we stayed in our surrogates room but would take the baby to the nursery if she was having an exam or we just wanted to talk while she was sleeping. The baby was born on Friday night and both surrogate and baby were cleared to leave on Sunday afternoon. In our situation we were in a state that did not give a prebirth order

We did have a nurse for a 12 hour shift that we all hated. She talked to our surrogate as the mother and to me as an adoptive mother. I would explain this child is my genetic child it she was mine before we transfered her into our surrogate and she would say she understands but then turn around and call our surrogate "mom". Not sure who that bugged me or our surrogate. It wasn't the end of the world and we left with our daughter and full access to her in the hospital the same as if had given birth.

I have been at many other births of babies via surrogacy due to the nature of my business and most are delivered in California where the parents have a court order to hand to the hospital showing they are the parents.

As for the insurance- the baby goes onto the parents insurance.
March 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
thanks for the thorough answer.
I know the policy I have looked at, covered an extended hospital stay after birth, in case of some complications.

So, I wondered if the IP's needed insurance that began to cover the child, at birth.
Or the surrogate's insurance covered a short or extended stay.
March 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
NCAMomma's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan75 View Post
thanks for the thorough answer.
I know the policy I have looked at, covered an extended hospital stay after birth, in case of some complications.

So, I wondered if the IP's needed insurance that began to cover the child, at birth.
Or the surrogate's insurance covered a short or extended stay.
The surrogates insurance doesn't cover the child once born, her insurance is limited to her family. It just covers delivery and after care of the surrogate. The parents will present their insurance to the hospital to be billed for anything related to the baby.

Hope that helps
March 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am in a state that will not recognize a pre birth order. The IPs were present at birth. My insurance covered the pregnancy and my hospital stay. Their insurance covered the baby at birth. They just told the hospital to not bill mine. In Indiana the surrogacy had to be treated like an adoption. The father went right on the birth certificate and the mom had to do a step parent adoption. I left the hospital early. My OB releced me about 24 hours after the birth. The baby had to stay the full 48 hours. The IPs were able to stay in my room while I was gone. I had to come back to sign the discharge papers for the baby and the IF had to carry the baby out of the hospital since the IM was not on the birth certificate.

March 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
What are the events, from the first day a SM enters the hospital, until the day they are able to go home?

The IP's are alerted that the birth is near. They travel to the hospital. The hospital staff is ready.
The child is born.

Then what? This really is all going to depend on each individual surrogacy journey. With some IP's, they want to be there a few weeks early, spending time with the surrogate and her family. I have seen cases where some surrogates go closer to their IP's before birth, delivering in their state instead of where the surro lives. In cases of csections, they schedule the date of delivery and everyone shows up when they can. My IF actually missed the birth because of his flight situation as he came on a different one than my IM because she came earlier.

I have seen various comments on some boards about the SM "saying it is ok for the IP's to be there."
(I'd think they would want to be there and be "entitled" to be there).
And a situation where a SM was not allowed to see the newborn baby. The doctor took the baby to a private room where the new parents were waiting. There are some cases where things may be rough in the relationship and the IP's may request the surro not have visitation rights. There also have been cases where the surrogate is the only one around, like in a home birth where the surro delivers unexpectedly and the IP's miss it and the surro spends the time alone with the child.

So, how long after birth is it, before the surrogate is able to go home? This will all depend on the medical situation. I had a csection and was in the hospital for four days as was the baby. We were both released on the same day. I have seen some surros give birth naturally and be released the next morning and the baby is left to be with the IP's until they can go home. Then again, if something medically goes wrong, they could be there much longer than normal.

How long after birth is it ok for the baby to leave the hospital and go home with the parents?
My child and I were released from the hospital after 48 hours.

In the case of a surrogacy and the possibility of travel by the new parents, does the child stay at the hospital for a few days, and cared for as far as feeding, by the hospital staff? I have seen this done before. The IP's missed everything, the surro didn't feel comfortable doing the feeding and such, so the nursing staff cared for the child until the IP's arrived. Most of the time this stuff is all discussed BEFORE the surrogate delivers so the hospital staff knows what to expect. In our case, even though my IP's were there, at night the nursing staff cared for Kyle and took care of feedings and stuff like that. I rested. I did feed Kyle during the day, but at night, I allowed my body to rest and heal after the csection as I didn't get to do that after the birth of my two kids.

Does the IP's have insurance that kicks in on the date of birth to cover this extended hospital stay? This may have been touched on by the other poster, but the surrogate should have insurance covering the hospital stay. The IP's will pay for the baby. Kyle was NEVER on my insurance and I do not think it should happen unless circumstances call for it, as there are some international cases where it may need to happen. The IP's insurance will cover the child's medical costs after the IP's put the child on their plan.

Or does the surrogate's policy cover any of this? (how can it, if the surrogate and the baby are in separate rooms and the surrogate may be released to go home, while the baby may stay a few days longer, before being able to go home with it's parents?) Again, the baby should not be on the same policy as the surrogate. The surrogate will almost always use her own insurance (unless the IP's pay for a separate plan for her during the pregnancy. But then again, most of the time that is just maternity insurance and will not cover the actual child after it is born.

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. My son had state wrestling this weekend and I am home and finally catching up. I see someone replied and I think it was the same as I said pretty much, but I wanted to give my 2 cents and give you an idea of what happened with our journey just to give you more info.
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search