a question about progesterone

Forum: Surrogate Mommies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Surrogate Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Can low levels of progesterone make a surrogate suitable to be a TS but not a GS, and why?

Last edited by susan75; March 20th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
March 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
MommaJones's Avatar Host of Surrogate Mommies
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaJones Send a message via Skype™ to MommaJones
Honestly, I don't really know the answer to this question medically. But in my eyes, in a TS situation (which I have done) progesterone wasn't ever measured. We did the IUI, 2 weeks later did a dr's office pregnancy test with urine and my IP's and agency said that was good enough proof. Went through the entire pregnancy and never heard a word about progesterone.

Now...GS situations are and can be different. With this GS journey I am, I take progesterone, and they monitor my levels. So while you may have low progesterone right now, (which I think you are supposed to have because you are not pregnant) you can take supplements to help that situation when you transfer.

I would really talk to a medical professional though if you have major concerns.
Mommy to Damon TS to Kyle 10/07 GS for E and R--WE ARE PREGNANT!!
Try 1--Sept 2010 negative Try 2--Jan 2011 negative
Try 3--May 2011-miscarried at 5 weeks
Transfer 4---PREGNANT!!! BFP @ 5.5dp3dt Beta at 11dp3dt was 164.6

Ultrasound showed TWO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
My best guess is that in an unmedicated TS, it is trusted that your body will respond to the embryo and produce the proper levels of progesterone without help. If lower levels are normal for you, then chances are they aren't going to mess up a TS cycle. With GS, because the ovaries are typically shut down by meds, and then the body is told to build its lining by meds, the body also has to be told to not shed its lining by meds that raise the progesterone levels. Many doctors likely raise the progesterone levels and expect them to be higher (or at the very least, normal) because that is a sign that the meds a GS is taking are working and the GS's body wont shed the lining spontaneously. Remember, the GS's body doesn't know it's going to be pregnant because it's been given meds to suppress basically everything. It finds out when the embryo implants and begins to trigger HCG in the bloodstream. That is why the GS will continue progesterone throughout most (if not all) of the first trimester.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search