Any advice would be nice.. :)

Product Reviews

Discuss breastpumps, nursing bras, breast pads and more

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Product Reviews LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Okay so I am about to have my 3rd baby and I really want to BF him.. I wanted to BF both of my other kids but do to complications after having them I was not able to. I am hoping that the delivery of this baby will go smooth so that I can BF him.. I am getting a pump from my sis in law who BF her last 2 kids. (she has never used the pump) I am getting ready to start a BF class. But was wondering what worked for you ladies. I am scared its going to hurt. (heard from friends that it hurts and you bleed.) & If you BF and bottle feed what are the best bottles to use.. I want my kids and hubby to be able to feed my baby also.. Thanks ladies..

Waiting On Ayden Christopher 6/2/2010
March 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I think a big piece is definitely the class - that made a big difference between my first and my second getting mentally prepared, if you know what I mean. Also, I strongly suggest, when you're in the hospital or birthing center, ask the nurses to get you in touch with a lactation consultant! BF did not go well with my first, and my LC was an absolute godsend for me with my second child, definitely a big part of the reason I was able to BF for a year instead of just 5 weeks like my first son! Not everyone bleeds - that is a sign of a bad latch and your LC can help you with that - but do expect it to hurt a bit in the first couple weeks as you and baby get used to it.

Good luck!!! I hope all goes well.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I never bled or cracked- i used Lanilin nipple cream after each nursing session for about 4 weeks. it will hurt for a little while, but usually only as they are latching on and then the pain subsides some. you need to build up resistance in your nipples. My pain lasted about 6 weeks, and now it only hurts when he is latched on wrong, and when that happens i just pop him off and relatch.

Also, both of my kids had a hard time latching at first, and i had to use a nipple sheild with them. DS stopped using it at 2 weeks and hasnt had any problems latching since. They need to build up their sucking abilities, so sometimes a little help goes a long way. You can ask the hospital for one, or you can pick them up at target for 7 dollars. they are reusable and washable, so one is all you need.

Pumping doesnt hurt. Ive been pumping since he was about 5 weeks old, and hes been getting bottles ( at least 1 a day) since he was about 8 weeks old. he had a few in the hospital and those first few days before my milk fully came in, but other than that he is primarily breastfed. I used the playtex drop in bottles, the same ones DD uses. He likes the latex nipples better than the silicone.

i wouldnt be discouraged if it takes him a little while to learn to use a bottle, DS had about a week or two where i would have to take the bottle out of his mouth after a few gulps becuase he was just struggling so much, but he eventually got it and is a pro at both breast and bottle now.
You just want to make sure you start with a slow flow, as the nipple on a bottle will come out faster and easier then milk out of a breast will.
October 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I have heard that once a baby get a bottle of formula(like at the hospital after birth) its hard to get them to nurse, is that true? I am a first time mom and really really want to breast feed but I'm nervous that breast feeding gets a bad rep. So many women choose not to do and dont condone it there isnt much support for those who want to do it.
February 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Whether or not you crack and bleed, you should try keeping the area moisturized and protected everyday. Also, I recommend using an all natural product (truly all natural)- Episencial Cheeky Balm from Naturals COVE is my favorite- as there are tons of products that are represented as natural but in fact contain harsh chemicals and contaminated ingredients which your child will then ingest.

Good luck!
July 29th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Boppy pillow, lots of water, Silverette nursing cups and lot of patience!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search