Avent Isis

Product Reviews

Discuss breastpumps, nursing bras, breast pads and more

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Product Reviews LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2005, 11:47 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
If you have used the Avent Isis we want your opinions. Tell us what you like or don't like about this pump.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
October 5th, 2005, 12:27 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
My favorite pump! It works really well. It is extremely affordable. I was able to get a good supply of milk with it. It is easy to clean and portable.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 5th, 2005, 08:16 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
After reading rave reviews about the Avent Isis I went out and bought it. I already owned a Medela PIS but I started reading about moms that stopped using their PIS because they loved the Isis so much.

My first time using it I hated it! I could not pump a drop with it and for the life of me, couldn't figure out why everyone thought it was so great. I used it several times before I pumped anything with it.

Now I have to say I really like this pump. But it did take me a while to figure out how it works. Once you get the hang of it, you can pump quite a bit with it. I used it when I was in college and I pumped as much with it as I did with my PIS. It did take a little longer to pump since its not a double pump but its much more convenient to carry around and assemble.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
October 15th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
I love this pump. However I have nothing else to compare it to.
The first half oz is easy and fast for me to get. Then after that I have to keep taking my breast out and putting it back in, in order to get more milk. I dont know if its because my breasts and nipples are large, or what. But I can get 2-6 oz at a time, depending on the day.

October 31st, 2005, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i love it and hate it at the same time.. the older version sucked cuase it would always crack.. the new one leaks sometimes.. but I do get a substantial amount of milk with it... sometime though I can't.. not sure if it is becuase I nervous or not

November 5th, 2005, 06:42 AM
MorgaineNTannersMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just bought this pump a few days ago and wanted to test it out (I'm still preggo thought). I didn't think I'd get ANYTHING out...In 15 mins I had 2 oz. ! If it's this easy to use now...I can't imagine how easy it will be once I'm actually BFing my son!
November 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
All right, what's the secret? I want to like this pump, it is convenient to clean & carry, but I can't get more than an oz or two & I feel like I really have to concentrate to gey that. ?Does that make sense? It's like if I do ANYTHING else(nurse, read, etc) I dont get milk. The other thing I don't like is that
I have to lean waaay forward for the milk to flow into the bottle, or else it collects in the plastic piece next to my breast and starts to leak. I'm starting back to work part time next week & I'm worried, we can't afford an electric pump right now(but I might rent one)

Susan

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
November 14th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by fynche@Nov 12 2005, 05:07 PM
I have to lean waaay forward for the milk to flow into the bottle, or else it collects in the plastic piece next to my breast and starts to leak.
Susan
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Ok, I figured out the trick to this. The first time I used the pump, I did the same with leaning way forward to so the milk didn't pool in the funnel piece. What I found is if you make sure the small round piece that looks like a star on the other end is somewhat loose when you put it in, the milk flows into the bottle better. You still have to lean forward somewhat but not near as much as you're describing.

Hope this helps!
November 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Thanks, I'll try it. I also prepped for success today-I drank 2 big glasses of water, massaged and as luck would have it, my little one slept through a feeding. I got 3 oz on one side without even trying and I'm sure I could have gotten more. We'll see what happens when I pump at work, I'm sure I'll get a lot cause I'll be so engorged.

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
December 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM
chlodoll
I cant get a drop with this pump!! I cant get much with my electric one either. I just dont think i am good at pumping!
December 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Maya's Momma 25
I hated this breast pump. It barely got anything out for me. I only used it for about two weeks and then I rented a hospital grade pump from a breastfeeding store and that worked wonderfully! I wouldn't recommend it. It takes forever and my hand was getting carpal tunnel from pumping with it. For this child, I have bought the Ameda Purely Yours and I am hoping that will work well.
December 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM
CrunchyMomof3's Avatar Member
Send a message via Yahoo to CrunchyMomof3
I love this little pump! It's very affordable, easy to use, and portable. I love the new design where the pump is all one piece so that you're not fiddling with a bunch of small parts. I've been able to get 8oz. out of one breast from this pump before. I recommend this pump for occasional pumping, but probably not for a WOHM. I took this pump with me on a weekend trip away and it did just fine, but for anything longer, I probably would've liked to have an electric pump with two funnels, one for each breast for quick pumping. But for a SAHM who only needs to pump once in a while, I would HIGHLY recommend this pump!

~Proud to be a natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, non-vaccinating, slinging, attachment parenting mama!!~</span>
January 2nd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Natasha1983's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Natasha1983
I do like this pump a lot, but notice too that it won't pump sometimes, the reason I think, is because the rubber peice that goes over your boob, needs to be on tight to the pump or it will let air out and not allow a good amt of suction. It also hurts my nipples when I use it (makes them HUGE), I think thats normal though...

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
January 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i bought this pump yesterday to help relieve engorgement and to start storing milk so other's can feed my daughter.

it was really easy to put it together, though df did it and as soon as i put it to my boob and starting pumping i got over an oz in 5 minutes! and this is after i fed my daughter from that breast!

overall i love it so far! i heard that big breasted woman have had trouble with this pump but i am over a size f right now and it worked just fine for me. i will use it before i go back to work, and then ill probably invest in a medela but for now its perfect!

January 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Julia Jujube's Avatar Member
I love this pump. Granted my hand gets sore after a bit, but it's still pretty good.

I also just got the Avent IQ Isis duo... It's awesome. It's electric, but you pic the pumping rythim. Expensive, and I havent' had it long enough to truly say it's worth it, but it's looking like it is.
January 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used this pump for my first son and am using it again. It works really well for me. You do have to put it together just right, but the newer ones are easier to put together. I think its great for SAHM, but i dont know how well it would work for those who work full time outside the home.

January 25th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I used this pump at first and I really really liked it. The only reason I switched to the PIS is time. The PIS is electric and you can double pump so it went more quickly than the single manual pump. It's a great pump though!!
January 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM
chlodoll
I fianlly got this pump to work for me! Now if I could only find a moment to pump!

What I like most is its easy to pump one breast while the babies at the other when you lie down to nurse. Thats the only way I can get more than an ounce.
February 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Phoenix2Light's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix2Light
Quote:
What I like most is its easy to pump one breast while the babies at the other when you lie down to nurse.[/b]
I love this about it too. I like isis because it's small, easy to carry wherever you go, easy to assemble and clean and is simple to figure out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search