Repair of medela diaphram? (newbaby2006 was successful?)

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hello all,

I actually joined this form because my medela pump in style advanced started having issues. When I went through troubleshooting with them, we discovered two tiny holes where the piston (?) had started to wear out the diaphram where it pushes it in/out within the motor. As anyone who has had this issue knows, medela doesn't sell just the diaphram or offer repairs. . . or even offer the motor free of all the accessories. . . and I'm NOT about to drop another $200-300 on a product that didn't even last through two babies!!!

With a google search, I found a thread on here where "newbaby2006" said her mil had found an "elastic glue" to repair a tear in the diaphram successfully & I was hoping to find out exactly what this was. . . or if anyone else has great ideas on how to repair this problem, I'm open to other suggestions as well before just scrapping the whole motor.

I've had supply issues with both boys (yes, I'm taking tons of herbs/drinking teas & eating all those "milk boosting" foods), although things have gone much more smoothly with ds #2 & he still nurses when he's sleepy. . . but he gets most of his milk from me through my pumping, especially now that he's gotten his teeth (7 mos old) & would rather play/bite than nurse if he's anywhere near truly awake. . . and from about 2 months on, I've really had to coax him to nurse anyway (supplementary system being used or not) since the bottle is so much "easier". So I've really relied on pumping to give him all I can. Doing it by hand vs. with the double-pumping electric version is getting old REALLY quickly! Thanks for any/all who might help!
April 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, sorry to hear about you pump

This is where I buy all my spare parts

Replacement and Spare Parts

HTH
April 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks! I checked it out & thought I might be in luck, but what they call the diaphragm cap is actually just the faceplate. . . and medela has discontinued that at any rate. Besides, medela has made the unit so the diaphragm doesn't actually come off or out of the unit. Ridiculous! Hopefully my hubby can find something that will work at the hardware store this afternoon.
April 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
your pump must be diffferent to mine because my face plate does come off... how old is your pump?

if its just a crack what about some of that silicone stuff? I don't know its proper name sorry!
April 14th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Well, I tried a liquid nails multi purpose that said it was elastic even though they said it wasn't flexible enough to handle the pump's motion. I thought I'd fixed it anyway as it held for several days. We fixed it again Saturday when one small hole poked back through. . . and now the holes are bigger than ever *tears* I have a pump in style advanced bought for my first child in November of 2006.

My husband is urging me just to give up the pumping at this point. . . but at 7.5 mos, I feel SO close to my goal of a year. . . and I feel guilty not doing as much as I can for him for a year, since I did with my first son!! I really wish I knew EXACTLY what "newbaby2006" used to fix hers as most of my google searches for elastic glues or flexible glues come up with plenty of ways to USE them, but no brands/places to find them. Anyone know how to get in touch directly with her if you haven't been able to fix something similar on your pump? Thanks again for any help that can be offered!
April 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have posted on the hosts board for you. i will let you know if i find out anything.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

April 14th, 2009, 07:38 AM
in the mean time what about a manual pump. the are quite cheap and i use one. i use the avent one and it works really well.

April 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM
in the mean time what about a manual pump. the are quite cheap and i use one. i use the avent one and it works really well.

April 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
ok, one of the hosts found her. i posted on the AP board cos her private messages isnt activate. i am hoping she comes along soon to help you out.

April 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
You're SO wonderful! I actually have the avent isis (I think?) It just takes SO much time & I can't get nearly as much as with the electric one. I've actually rigged the medela pumps to where I can basically use my hands and get SOME things done while pumping. . . so I'm not losing supply, but it's taking SO much more time out of the day! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Heather
April 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i am hoping she checks the thread soon. i posted it on the attachment parenting board cos she visits there often. i really hope she can help you.

April 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there! Yes I successfully fixed the diaphragm cap on my Medela PIS. It wasn't a long term fix though--maybe only lasted about 6 months--and now it is beyond repair.

But what I used for my short term fix was something called "Flora Bond." Its actually floral adhesive and its waterproof. It may work longer for you since you only have a couple very tiny holes--mine is a big rip (about one inch long) right where the diaphragm cap attaches to the motor. I did have to keep applying the glue every few times but since it worked I didn't care.

I hope it works for you, at least long enough to get to your goal!!!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks SO very much! 4.5 months to go seems MUCH shorter with the electric pump vs. pumping by hand. I'm at the point where pumping about 5x a day is getting me just about as much as I would pumping more. Hopefully it will at least last me through this kid The liquid nails stuff probably could be re-applied, but it takes 8 hours to set & especially during the day, I don't go anywhere near that amount of time before pumping again, arugh! What's most frustrating is that mine is tearing on the side of where the motor pushes it in & out, just as you mentioned. Watching the motor go in & out, that side is pushed/pulled FAR more than the other, which is frustrating because however they MADE the motor, it wears/tears totally unevenly to create this rip! Again, thank you SO very much!!!
April 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No problem! I was really angry that it ripped as that pump was not cheap! I have a manual pump as well but it just does not do the job. I fear I may have to buy a new pump with our next baby even though I'm a SAHM because if I want any extra for the freezer I'm going to have to do something to pump it out!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

May 31st, 2013, 05:09 AM
Ugh! Thanks for this. I can't believe there's no other way to replace this part.
November 27th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Finally, I got the diaphragm fixed after a few tries with different adhesive. You need silicone adhesive or sealant; not caulk. You can get it at any hardware store for around $6-7.

Steps:
1. Prepare both side of the surface around the tear. I used a small Dremel rotary steel brush to lightly scruff up the surface around the tear for better adhesion.

2. clean the prepared surface with alcohol wipes and let dry.

3. apply the glue with toothpick on both side of the tear about 2mm thick. Make sure it covers ~3-4mm around the tear to form an airtight seal.

4. should be ready in 24 hours.

I'm not sure how long the fix will holdup. I'll post the result in a few month.
December 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they would provide you with another one?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search