How many ounces (average) of pumped milk does a 2-3 month old baby feed?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Ladies

My daughter is 10 going 11 weeks and I recently started pumping so that I could introduce her to the bottle before I go back to work in May. She had her very first bottle today but I'm unsure as to how many ounces a baby of 2 going 3 months drinks. She tends to feed every 3-4 hours and I fed her 3 ounces by the bottle and then she nursed from the breast for about another 2 minutes. I assuming that she must be drinking 4 - 5 ounces.

Can anyone help me with the average feeding a baby her age should be getting?

I know all babies feed differently. I just don't want to underfeed or overfeed her with the bottle.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
April 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, and congrats on you LO

HERE is a breast milk calculator.

and HERE is some info on how to bottle feed the breastfed baby

At 3 months of age my daughter was drinking about 24oz a day, she would take between 3-4oz per bottle.

HTH
April 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much for your response and the links. I fed her with 4 at the last feed and she still need the breast but for only a minute or so. I will try her on 5oz the next time I give her the bottle.

April 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaiden takes 3 - 4 oz by bottle for each feeding, which is every 3 - 4 hrs during the day.
April 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Skyla is 5 months old and only drinks 4 oz bottles every 3 - 4 hours.

When she was 3 months old she was drinking 3 oz bottles every 4 hours. Sorry I am not much help : }
April 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM
OrangeHope's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
between 2-3 months Alex was drinking about 3oz of milk but every baby sure is different, my cousin told me that when her baby was 2 months old she was drinking 6oz! O_o

April 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Ladies

I tried her this morning with 4.5oz and she pushed the nipple out at 4oz. This was around 7:30am after she awoke from her night sleep and her last feeding would have been around 2:45am. So I'm think that she will be taking around 4-5oz feedings every 3 - 4 hours. I hate to waste ounces though but I'm thinking that I will have to fill her bottle to 4.5 or even 5oz to make sure that she's good. If after a few days she keeps pushing out at 4 then I'll know that's exactly what she takes.

Thanks again for your responses.

April 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
KrystalB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say that you probably wouldn't be wasting the milk if you pour in too much into a bottle. Breastmilk is good for 4 hours at room temperature which will probably bring you to your next feeding.

My Chart
April 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the amazing thing about BM is the amount baby drinks never changes but your milk changes as they get older. they say an OZ for every hour. and breastfed babies drink around 25 oz in 24 hours. Kyla is 9 months old and still has 4 oz per bottle. remember to pace the bottles cos bf baby like to comfort nurse so that is why she still likes the boob after ward.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

April 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalB View Post
I just wanted to say that you probably wouldn't be wasting the milk if you pour in too much into a bottle. Breastmilk is good for 4 hours at room temperature which will probably bring you to your next feeding.
Hey Krystal, if the bottle has been drunk out of you need to put it in the fridge and use at the next feeding or toss it.
April 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The LO I watch would take 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours or so.

When my mom watched my LO at 10 wks old for a week, he went through 5 5 oz bottles a day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search