should i wake up to pump at night?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i BF at home and pump 2x/day at work. for the most part i exactly keep up with jacob's demand. recently he started STTN - going down between 9-10pm and not waking til 5-6am, when i'm up for work. should i set an alarm and wake up to pump in the middle of the night? i'm afraid with him eating less frequently now (5x/day vs 6-7x/day) that he'll need more than 4 oz in his daycare bottles. a middle of the night pumping would assure a surplus every day and possibly add to my stash. what do you think? as much as i'd love to STTN myself, i'm used to waking up once and don't really mind. i don't think it's affected my productivity at work.
August 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
THE angry uterus
I personally would and have done that with Oliver, but then I gave up on that and just started grabbing him and bringing him to bed with me, so we could both sleep! But I would think if he is sleeping through the night he will need more during the day, and if you don't mind getting up, go ahead.
August 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got up for another 3.5 mths after the kids started STTN. That was the ONLY way I could keep up w/ how much they were taking. For about a month, I was able to store quite a bit of milk but after that grace period, the kids went from around 4.5 to 6 oz per bottle.

August 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I used to get up once during the night, once Alex started STTN. It's all up to you. You could probably train your "girls" to produce more milk during the day and less at night.
August 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Cherie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stay up late and pump before I go to bed. So if I put D down at 9pm, I would pump at 11pm and then go to bed until he wakes up.

August 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me once Ava started STTN I didn't pump during the night, but I am a SAHM so I didn't have to send bottles to daycare with her. If I was a working mama I probably would do it though. If you are comfortable with waking up once per night to pump, it would ensure that you have a nice stash and won't have to worry about not having enough milk to send with him, although the appeal of STTN yourself again is hard to resist But it is whatever you are comfortable with doing

August 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM
thanks ladies. i must have jinxed myself b/c jacob woke up to eat at 2am last night! i guess i'll give it another week or so until he's consistently STTN and decide if i should set a night time pump. luckily i have over 110 oz in the freezer just in case.
August 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wake up to pump in the night. Colin will usually sleep until 4am, but still occasionally wakes earlier. To make sure I don't pump right before he wakes I'll pump just one side and if he's still asleep for awhile I'll pump the other side. That way I always have one side ready for him.

August 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its a tough one. i personally would choose the sleep. but i love my sleep.
if you dont mind getting up the it would help take a bit of the pressure off of you.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

August 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would get the sleep and maybe just try to wake up a little before him or pump right after his morning feeding. The sleep is necessary to keep up your supply!

August 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayb63 View Post
I would get the sleep and maybe just try to wake up a little before him or pump right after his morning feeding. The sleep is necessary to keep up your supply!
I think that's what I'd try too ...

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
August 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
spartyguard's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I stay up late and pump before I go to bed. So if I put D down at 9pm, I would pump at 11pm and then go to bed until he wakes up.
This is I do too. I usually try to wait about 3 hours from her last feeding to pump and then go right to bed!

August 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartyguard View Post
This is I do too. I usually try to wait about 3 hours from her last feeding to pump and then go right to bed!
that would be ideal, but i have to wake up at 5am for work, so i have to go to bed right after his final 9-10pm feeding.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search