Is this a good deal on a pump?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 06:26 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Is this a good deal? I met this lady in a parking lot to buy some of her maternity clothes I found on craigslist. She told me she had some other things including a breast pump which she emailed me and sent pictures. Everything looks to be in great condition and she is asking $160

Medela Pump In Style Original Breastpump plus:
*black stylish shoulder bag that pump is in
*removeable cooler with ice block and 4 storage bottles that fit into the
shoulder bag
*electric or battery hookups
*vehicle lighter adapter
*4 hoses, 2 have never been used
*2pk of extra valves and membranes never open
*3 valves
*3 never used membranes
*4 connectors
*6 breastshields
*stand to hold storage bottle
*hand pump
*15 pre sterilized zipper milk storage bags

I don't know too much about breast pumps and what you need with them.
November 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would jump on it. I got about the same things for $150 but your has a couple more things. It sounds to me like a lot of the things you would need. Exspecially the unused tubes!
November 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
missmich
Jat be careful with a used pump,some should never be sold after you use them b/c not all the inner parts can be cleaned. I'm not to familiar with which ones are ok and which are not. It does sound like a great deal though.
November 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
AndyBee's Avatar Super Mommy
You should be fine with the medela, as long as you get new suction tubes (which it has) and thoroughly clean all the other parts. However, I don't think it's a good price for the original pump in style. I see those on craigslist for $40-$75. Maybe a used pump in style advanced or freestyle for sure. But if that's the lowest you can find, go for it. But then again, you have 6 shields which is great as long as they are the right size for you.

Special thanks to AlexAiden Mommy for my precious siggy
November 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The pump in style is a great pump - I loved mine but I'm going to say no this is not a great deal (just ok) - I went onto amazon and they're listed there for $200 brand new. Amazon.com: Medela New Pump in Style Original Breast Pump: Baby: Reviews, Prices & more

The pieces in bold come with the pump anyway ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGirl View Post
Medela Pump In Style Original Breastpump plus:
*black stylish shoulder bag that pump is in
*removeable cooler with ice block and 4 storage bottles that fit into the
shoulder bag

*electric or battery hookups
*vehicle lighter adapter
*4 hoses, 2 have never been used
*2pk of extra valves and membranes never open (I think you get one set with the pump)
*3 valves
*3 never used membranes
*4 connectors (2x come with the pump)
*6 breastshields (2x come with the pump)
*stand to hold storage bottle
*hand pump

*15 pre sterilized zipper milk storage bags

I don't know too much about breast pumps and what you need with them.
So really the only "extras" you're getting are the storage bags, which are maybe $10, the valves and membranes which are maybe $5 for a set, hoses which shouldn't be more than $10 or so for 2x and some breastshields.

Do you know how much it has been used? based on what i've seen others pay, I would try to knock her down a bit more ... say at least half price?? Also - if you do go ahead with a second hand pump do make sure you get the suction tested first. You can take it to any medela dealer and they will attach a little gauge (kind of like testingt he pressue in your car tyres).

Hope that helps!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
November 2nd, 2010, 05:17 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
It does not look like a great deal to me either, I would pass. All the Medela PIS's I saw on CL and ebay were in the $90-120 range, and mine was $60 or 65. I would buy all new bottles and horns anyways. I know you can sterilize, but I would just buy all new pieces.

November 2nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
amberrose22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amberrose22 Send a message via Yahoo to amberrose22
Ditto, I wouldn't pay more than $75 for a used Medela PIS. It's technically only built for one user, so you can't do a thing if you buy it and it breaks next week.
November 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that I wouldn't pay that much for a used one. I think you just don't know what you are getting with a used one and don't know how long the motor would last and stuff. I would offer her 1/2 of her asking price. If not, walk away and keep your eyes on Craigslist and EBay. To me, buying a used pump is a little bit of a gamble.

Keep checking online for new ones too. I think you could pick up a new one for only a tiny bit more than that (with similar characteristics).

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search