Questions

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Happy Mommy
Little back ground: having Baby #3, with #1 I was very young and decided after 3 weeks nursing was not for me. so I stopped. with #2 I tried as hard as I could but she had FTT issues and I didn't know what I was doing for pumping so started supplimenting with formula, lasted 5 or so months with nursing till she self weaned to the bottle (I also was drying up)

this time I'm working full time will return to work some time after 6 weeks, (not sure how long I'll take off yet, but can go out up to the 12 weeks)

so here are some of my questions I have right now.
my "commute" is short, like 10 -15 minutes (if I get caught at a train, which is rare) from home to kid's school (daycare is attached to school) and then 5 minutes to work. so the same for after work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I read that breast milk is good for 8 days in the fridge, so what is the need to freeze it? Besides to have extra?

So if I am pumping at work for baby to eat while I'm at work. then can't I just keep the stuff from today in the fridge over night to send to daycare for tomorrow?

Also if you worked and pumped before I have some questions.

Did you try to get daycare to feed baby on a schudule or on que ? (I"m thinking on schedule somewhat so I can pump at those times so weekends aren't all thrown off?)

Also I was thinking I'd ask they do not give bob a bottle within 1 hour of my end time. (so say I get off work at 5, I'm there by 5:15 most days if I say no bottle oafter 3:30/4 ish so she will be ready to eat once we get home) anyone else do this? (I could in therpy nurse her at daycare when I get there, they are open till 6 but I don't really want to. esp since it's not far to home from thre 10-15 min max)

Also advice I can find says nurse right before leaving, but that will really throw off my mornings. I was thinking nursing her when we get up, (or getting up because we are nursing ) get her ready, then me and the other two ready and going about the rest of the morning. so it would be like 6:30 feeding(ideally) and then leaving by 7:45 to drop girls at school and bob at attached daycare by 8:05 should I really try to nurse closer to leave time/ (Obviously her demand would chagne this, but I'm thinking could try and guide her to what is best)

then how many times to pump at work... three? Like a morning, then midday/lunch time and then at like 2:45? then feed her as soon as we get home at 5:35-6 ish.

help!

one more...

so when we travel back home(like back to my moms or dads or siblings), it's a good 90 minutes to 2 hour drive depending on whose house and if thre is construction. so I'm guessing best idea is nurse her then leave, and nurse as soon a we arrive right?
May 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi - thanks for the background info and here's my thoughts on your questions ....

So I read that breast milk is good for 8 days in the fridge, so what is the need to freeze it? Besides to have extra?

It really is just to have extra, and of course if you're pumping more than your LO needs the next day then it's handy to freeze that spare .. instead of trying to keep track of it all and make sure you rotate it.

So if I am pumping at work for baby to eat while I'm at work. then can't I just keep the stuff from today in the fridge over night to send to daycare for tomorrow?

yes - that's exactly what I did ... except on a Friday I put everything in the freezer and on a Monday took out the oldest to ensure I kept rotating the frozen milk

Also if you worked and pumped before I have some questions.

Did you try to get daycare to feed baby on a schudule or on que ? (I"m thinking on schedule somewhat so I can pump at those times so weekends aren't all thrown off?)

I told them to feed on demand ... only because that's what I did at home, but in relaity they pretty much stuck to a schedule to fit in with the others. It always worked out for us .... maybe we were just lucky?

Also I was thinking I'd ask they do not give bob a bottle within 1 hour of my end time. (so say I get off work at 5, I'm there by 5:15 most days if I say no bottle oafter 3:30/4 ish so she will be ready to eat once we get home) anyone else do this? (I could in therpy nurse her at daycare when I get there, they are open till 6 but I don't really want to. esp since it's not far to home from thre 10-15 min max)

That's what we did ... no food after about 4.30. They were picked up by their Dad about 5.30 and I BF as soon as I walked through the door (about 6pm)

Also advice I can find says nurse right before leaving, but that will really throw off my mornings. I was thinking nursing her when we get up, (or getting up because we are nursing ) get her ready, then me and the other two ready and going about the rest of the morning. so it would be like 6:30 feeding(ideally) and then leaving by 7:45 to drop girls at school and bob at attached daycare by 8:05 should I really try to nurse closer to leave time/ (Obviously her demand would chagne this, but I'm thinking could try and guide her to what is best)

I say just go with the flow on this one ... you won't know what she's like until you try

then how many times to pump at work... three? Like a morning, then midday/lunch time and then at like 2:45? then feed her as soon as we get home at 5:35-6 ish.

Try to mimic whatever you were doing at home .. I'd say every three hours minimum. I BF at home around 7.30, then pumped at 10, 1 and 4pm, then BF again about 6pm.

help!

one more...

so when we travel back home(like back to my moms or dads or siblings), it's a good 90 minutes to 2 hour drive depending on whose house and if thre is construction. so I'm guessing best idea is nurse her then leave, and nurse as soon a we arrive right?

Yeah .. worst case you might have to stop for a feed on the way but again ... I think you'll just have to learn by trial and error.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and let us know if you have any more questions!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
May 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Happy Mommy
Thanks!!

I've thought of one more for now. I'll pump into the pump bottles at work, when you sent the milk to daycare, did you just prefill the bottles that you are using, and send them like that? I'm thinking if I pump into th ebottles for the pump during day, and then transfer to bags at night and send to daycare the next day, that's alot of waste and alot of money being thrown away just to use a storage bag for over night.

Also I know I'll have to bring home bottle nightly to steralize, but will they be okay to use the same bottle all day just rinsed out? (I'm guessing I'll have to ask their policy) but thought I'd ask here too. so could I send one bottle and then all the milk, or do I need one bottle plu smilk for EACH feeding?
May 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I think that in total I had something like 9 bottles that screwed directly onto my pump. I wasn't convinced about pumping into bags at work because I worried that during my commute (by bike in some areas over cobblestones in Holland) the bags would leak ... so I pumped into bottles and then took the milk home in those. When I got home I would leave the milk for the next day in the bottles and freeze the extra in the bags.

We used an avent bottle. I just used one and told them to rinse it out and put in the fridge between feeds. I figured that was all I did with my pump parts so there wasn't a big difference. Also my LO'w were 4.5 and 5.5 months when they started at daycare so I wasn't soooo worried about the need to sterilise.

IMO the worst thing about pumping was getting home at night and having to wash everything .... I loathed it,

May 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My LO doesn't go to daycare, he stays home with daddy. But I pump into the pump bottles at work, then I pour those into bottles for the next day, and freeze the extra, then I wash and reuse the pump bottles the next day. I do nurse him as soon as I get home. He's usually still asleep when I leave though, so I'm not really any help there.

We do have a 2 hour drive when we go visit family. I try to feed Sean soon before we leave, and he usually naps during the drive and eats soon after we arrive. One time we did have to stop and feed/change/calm the screaming baby.

May 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Happy Mommy
thanks ladies!!!

I'll prob be a lurker occasional poster until baby comes in July then I'll be here more often.
May 20th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
thanks ladies!!!

I'll prob be a lurker occasional poster until baby comes in July then I'll be here more often.
look forward to it! Take care and I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes perfectly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search