plugged ducts

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2011, 03:59 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I have been battling mastitis on one side and have decided that I have plugged ducts on that one side. When I pump, I always get less on that one side and where it sprays from 3-4 different places on the other side, it only sprays from 1 place on that side. I have tried moist heat, massage, different pumps, different positions. Even the pump at the nicu isn't helping. The only thing that has helped at all has been when I was able to nurse the baby on that side, but then it just plugs back up by the next pumping.

Any ideas on what I can do? Best solution would be to nurse more on that side but until she comes home, that's not an option.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 18th, 2011, 12:55 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how annoying .... it sounds like you're doing everything right. The only other thing that I can think of is to make sure you empty your breasts as much as possible and keep pumping. I'm prettty sure I remember you saying that you were pumping regularly so can't suggest that. I do know that I had my worst bouts of blockages when I changed bras. Wearing a bra that too tight or even compressing your breast by consistently lying on one side in bed can make a difference.

As a last resort you could try lecithin kellymom.com :: Lecithin treatment for recurrent plugged ducts but I'd talk to a Dr / LC or even LLL for more ideas first.

Good luck!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 18th, 2011, 05:37 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was going to suggest lecithin as well, it thins the breastmilk and can prevent blocked ducts. Can you pump a little longer to empty the breasts a little more?

June 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I'll look into the lecithin. I can't possibly pump any longer. I think part of my problem is I have an over supply and the longer I pump, the more I make. Right now, I'm pumping every 3hrs and my supply has jumped from 3-4oz a pumping to 6-7oz. I let myself sleep 5hrs last night and woke up thinking I was going to die. I pumped for 20 minutes with my freestyle and wasn't getting much so I switched to the hospital grade pump and ended up getting 11oz. I've been pumping every 3hrs for 15-20min since but I'm thinking I may actually need to limit pumping so it will slow down. It's a catch 22 though since slowing down pumping will cause the plugged ducts to get worse. Ugh!

They are saying Miss Natalie will be able to do 2 nursings in a row come Monday so I just need to last until then. Will robitussin dm do the same thing? I think I have some of that on hand. The location consultant won't be in until Monday. I will have to track her down then.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it is a double edged sword like you say .... slowing down pumping could add to your problems, but equally, pumping more will stimulate your supply. If you were BF'ing with an oversupply, the advice would probably be block feeding ... only feed your LO on one side for 3 hrs before swapping to the other side. I guess you could do the same pumping.

Domething that I thought of when you mentioned the engorgement after not pumping for 5 hours is that you could try cabbage leaves. It's one of those old wives tales that really does work.

Otherwise any cold med that has a decongestant should help you dry up a little.

I wish I could help more. Good luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 19th, 2011, 05:42 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
you will start with an oversupply, but will settle out over time, especially when she is nursing more. hang in there!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search