New Pumping mommy here with a question

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Lovinglifewithtwo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there,

My son is a little over 6 weeks old and despite exclusively formula feeding my daughter, we have went the breastfeeding, pumping AND formula feeding route this time around. Very time consuming but i am taking it one day at a time and have had extensive breast surgery so am very thankful to have some working ducts.

Anyways, I have read a bunch of times to pump until the milk stops dripping but here's the thing. My milk doesn't stop. I have a low supply but I think I can literally pump for 4 hours and get drop after drop. The drops come slowly, but they never stop. I try and pump for 30-45 mins since like I said, my milk is very slow, but I have pumped an hour before and it really doesn't stop.

What do I do?

June 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine really doesn't stop either, it always seems like it continues to drip. I usually pump about 15-20 minutes and then stop...

June 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hey and welcome. Congrats on doing such a great job! I don't want this to sound like 20 questions or the spanish inquisition, but I do have a few questions

how often do you pump? and when?
you said you're BF'ing so I'm wondering if you're just pumping to build supply or for another reason?
how much are you getting?
apart from the medical reasons that you alluded to ... why do you think you have a low supply?
do you single or double pump? and
do you get a letdown?

sorry again for all the questions and I hope we can help!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 18th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlette View Post
hey and welcome. Congrats on doing such a great job! I don't want this to sound like 20 questions or the spanish inquisition, but I do have a few questions

how often do you pump? and when?
you said you're BF'ing so I'm wondering if you're just pumping to build supply or for another reason?
how much are you getting?
apart from the medical reasons that you alluded to ... why do you think you have a low supply?
do you single or double pump? and
do you get a letdown?

sorry again for all the questions and I hope we can help!
I appreciate the questions!!

I pump every 2-3 hours during the day. I do NOT pump at night. Our nights are formula bottles only. So I would say I pump at 5am, 7am, 10am, 1pm...you get the picture, never going more then 3 hours between pumps.

When my son was born, we breastfed with a lactation aid (or supplimentation system, however you want to call it) and I started pumping on Day 2 and giving it via syringe. I stopped putting him to the breast for almost 2 weeks when we got home but realized I really missed it. I think there is more to breastfeeding then just breastmilk and was able to latch him fine right away. I put him to the breast before almost every feed. I guess if it helps my supply, that is a bonus.

I don't get very much milk but I guess I am just in shock and so proud of what I do get, it makes me want to continue. I get about 1.5-3oz a session.

I had tuberous breasts to begin with which means very small amount of glandular tissue, meaning barely there milk ducts, sometimes none. Then I had breast implants when I was 17 with the incision around the areola (which is said to sever any of the nerves etc around there) with the implants in front of the muscle and my whole nipple essentually cut off and replaces smaller and centered. This is why I didn't think I could ever do this. As you can see, my chances were quite slim.

I am renting the Medela Symphony, the hospital grade pump that is the best you can get, Double pump.

As for letdown, I know Bfing/pumping moms talk about this a lot. I don't really feel mine at all. Occasionally I will get a tingly almost shooting pain feeling in my nipples while bfing, pumping or at random times really but no milk drips out. I don't leak except for the morning when I went all night without pumping.

And to add, I am on Domperidone (available my prescription in Canada) and drink a nursing tea. As you can see, I am determined. Sorry to have written you a novel hun!!

June 18th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Kudos for being so determined. I have to EP as my son refuses to nurse (he got a bottle the day after he was born due to an issue that came up with him) so now I'm EPing and my goal is 12 months!!

Oh and 1 question...how long are you pumping on average?

Last edited by Spacey Stacy; June 18th, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
June 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacey Stacy View Post
Kudos for being so determined. I have to EP as my son refuses to nurse (he got a bottle the day after he was born due to an issue that came up with him) so now I'm EPing and my goal is 12 months!!

Oh and 1 question...how long are you pumping on average?
I would say I pump 30 mins on average. My first morning and last evening pumps are more like 45 mins

June 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
That is a good length of time!!!

June 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
With your situation, you are doing awesome. 1-3oz per sessions is good, I have always averaged about 2-3oz per session. I never responded very well to the pump. Any breast milk your LO gets is a gift, so do not get down on yourself if it is a combination of bm and formula. With everything you have been dealt in the boob department, you are doing super!!!

June 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
With your situation, you are doing awesome. 1-3oz per sessions is good, I have always averaged about 2-3oz per session. I never responded very well to the pump. Any breast milk your LO gets is a gift, so do not get down on yourself if it is a combination of bm and formula. With everything you have been dealt in the boob department, you are doing super!!!
I so appreciate the words of encouragement. This is my last child and I wanted to do something different and was always very regretful I never even attempted to breastfeed my daughter. Definitely feel like I missed out and although I am not EBFing, I feel like I am providing something priceless and it makes me feel really good inside.

June 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with Meredith. I was going to say that many ladies without your history would be happy to get what you're getting in a pumping session .. especially if you are getting that AFTER putting him to the breast. Presumably he is getting something from BF'ing so pumping is only taking the last of it.

You're going to hate me for saying this, but have you considered pumping at night? with your LO only 6 weeks old, you're in the window of really having a chance to build your supply (it's easiest till about 12 weeks) and while your body can become accustomed to making enough milk in the daytime I think that if you could pump at night as well you would improve your outputs even more.

That still doesn't answer your first question though does it? Have you tried breast compresssions while you pump? I don't know if you use a pumping bra, but I didn't and I used to kinf of hold the pump flanges in place with my middle fingers and then smooth down my breast towards my nipples with my thumbs to encourage the milk flow.

The suggestion of pumping for 5 mins after the milk stops is to signal to your body that it needs to make more (the whole supply/demand thing) .... if you do a min of 30mins then I think that;s probably enough of signal. Either way you're doing great! Keep it up momma.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlette View Post
I totally agree with Meredith. I was going to say that many ladies without your history would be happy to get what you're getting in a pumping session .. especially if you are getting that AFTER putting him to the breast. Presumably he is getting something from BF'ing so pumping is only taking the last of it.

You're going to hate me for saying this, but have you considered pumping at night? with your LO only 6 weeks old, you're in the window of really having a chance to build your supply (it's easiest till about 12 weeks) and while your body can become accustomed to making enough milk in the daytime I think that if you could pump at night as well you would improve your outputs even more.

That still doesn't answer your first question though does it? Have you tried breast compresssions while you pump? I don't know if you use a pumping bra, but I didn't and I used to kinf of hold the pump flanges in place with my middle fingers and then smooth down my breast towards my nipples with my thumbs to encourage the milk flow.

The suggestion of pumping for 5 mins after the milk stops is to signal to your body that it needs to make more (the whole supply/demand thing) .... if you do a min of 30mins then I think that;s probably enough of signal. Either way you're doing great! Keep it up momma.

I KNOW I should pump at night but I just cannot bring myself to do it. My hubby and I sleep in shifts and I get up at 4:30am to start my day and I desperately need whatever sleep I can get.

I do breast compressions, breast massages, etc. DEFINITELY helps forsure. My milk although severely slows down at the end, does not stop.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search