PQoTD - Thursday 22nd June

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think that your delivery had any affect on your BF'ing relationship with your LO?

Science & Sensibility A Look at the Research: The Link Between Epidural Analgesia and Breastfeeding

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 22nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got an epidural with Ava, but it didn't effect my ability to bf her I dont think. My game plan was to go all natural birth, but b/c my water broke at midnight and 10hrs later I was still only dialated to a 3 and not making progress, they were going to give me that drug to make the contractions worse. Well I decided right there to get an epidural, but 3hrs later I it wore off and I could feel everything including moving my lower half. I bf Ava right afterwards and have since the day she was born.

I dont disagree or agree with the article b/c I think it'd be a hard thing to study, just like pregnancy what might happen to one lady might not be true for another. Plus bfing so hard enough within the first 6wks, I think it'd be hard to bound the drug effect from the natural difficulties of bfing. But a very interesting read though, thank you for posting.
June 22nd, 2011, 06:37 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a natural birth with both my boys...one EBF for 18 months and one want nothing to do with it. Both were BF right after delivery, the only difference is Micah received a formula bottle the next day due to his low blood sugar...I don't think it the delivery made a difference one way or another..

June 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I was induced, got an epidural and then a c-section. I didnt start BFing as soon as I should have after birth (they kept her away a bit too long to study since she had a knot in her cord and her heart rate wasn't doing great during labor, then all family was there by the time I got her back!), but luckily BFing went ok. It was really really hard the first 3-4 months, I dont think she had a good latch and I talked myself out of meeting with a LC to fix it. So I definitely know what I'll do differently the next time, but I dont think a different birth would have made any of that different.

June 22nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ended up with an epidural after over a day of horrible horrible back labor. It was super strong too, I couldnt' feel a thing below my waist. I was hoping to just take the edge off... but it didnt' seem to affect my lil guy, he latched and sucked awesome right fromt he get-go. I really think bf is something that will vary from person to person and baby to baby, and at least part of the connection they see when looking back at type of birth vs future bf depends on how determined the mommy is to do it. I think that mommies who choose to have a drug free birth tend to be mommies who are more determined to bf and will go to greater lengths to overcome any difficulties that come up. It's by no means a perfect correlation, but I do think it has an impact.

June 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Erin-I also talked myself out of going to LC meetings, and had a hard first couple of months. Next time around I know what to expect more and will be going to one of those meetings if I have problems and not try to work it out myself. I think if I went it might have made the whole experience a little better, or at least I'd be more knowledgeable.
June 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley5 View Post
Erin-I also talked myself out of going to LC meetings, and had a hard first couple of months. Next time around I know what to expect more and will be going to one of those meetings if I have problems and not try to work it out myself. I think if I went it might have made the whole experience a little better, or at least I'd be more knowledgeable.
Yeah my hospital had a drop in time once a week where anyone could meet with lactation consultants... I had almost talked myself into going around 6 weeks when I was almost screaming in pain each time she latched, but I figured 6 weeks was "too long" and I should have had it figured out by then so it wouldnt be fixable... looking back 6 weeks was nothing and I should have gone!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search