help plz - medela pump question?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
hi ladies,

i bought the freestyle medela pump recently to get the advantages of double pumping but im expressing less milk than with my older manual avent pump.. thts a very very bad news for me since i was counting on the medela to feed my baby when i return to work..

i think theres a size pb but i cant get access to new parts right now.. ive switched to my older manual pump n i feel like ive wasted precious money. i was wndering if anyone using tht pump could share their experience coz i read lots of great reviews on medela freestyle but it doesnt seem to be the right pump for me

should i giv my body some time to adapt to the new pump or is it somethign else
June 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long have you had the pump?

I was using a cheapie electric because I though I was going to EBF and circumstances arose so I'm EPing. I decided to get a better pump and bought the Playtex Deluxe Double Pump since I use the drop in's I liked that I could pump right into the bottle. The first couple day I was getting way less them my cheapie one and I was wondering the same thing "did I just waste 100 bucks" after about 5 days I think my body adjusted and I was pumping MORE then with my cheapie. And now I pumping more then I need to feed my 4 month old.

June 23rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it could be a sizing problem with the horns, but also, the freestyle is SUPER picky about how the valve assembly is put together. If you're not getting "rip-your-nipple-off" suction, it is NOT assembled right and you won't get as much milk. I've had to take apart and reassemble several times, the membrane really has to be pressed into the big plastic part. Inspect the big plastic part closely too, the outer raised thin ring can develop cracks or snags and then the membrane won't fit to it and you'll get an air leak, leading to bad suction. If all else fails, try a new valve assembly.

Good luck!!
June 24th, 2011, 02:00 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't used a freestyle but Anne did for several years so check what she said before you worry too much more.

I hope that you can figure it out .... try not to stress about it and just sit back and go with the flow i always got more when I wasn't bottle watching. It's amazing how much your body can be affected by you worrying about the amounts you're getting (or not).

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was having troubles with mine and pumping for 30 minutes to get 4 ozs. I replaced the white rubber flaps because the old ones had tears in them. Now I can get 8 ozs in less than 15 minutes. I also take a picture of my DD and my kindle with me while I pump at work. It's relaxing to read and before I know it I'm done pumping. I got the new flaps at Babies R Us for $8.99. HTH
June 26th, 2011, 08:32 AM
hello.. thank u for the responses. well before posting i had used the pump only twice.. didnt feel like using it coz it made me feel so sad to express so little. but since then i used it twice n ive been eping a lil more!.. so i think i need some time.

but i definitely do not feel a 'rip ur nipple off' suction so ill try to be more carefull with the assembly.

June 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You may need to turn up the suction too. What are your settings?

I really liked L3 for the first phase and L4 for the 2nd phase, turning it up to L5 during a letdowns, then back down to L4. When I needed to turn it up to L6, I knew it was time to replace the valve assembly. But when I had a new valve assembly AND new SoftFit shields at the same time I had to turn it down a little for a couple days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search