New here!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey! I just wanted to introduce myself! I'm Kelli, married to John, and we just welcomed our little girl, Lillian Marie, May 10!

This week I have started pumping as well as BFing. DH gave Lily her first bottle on Wednesday and it went really well. We are now giving her a bottle a day and I am also pumping to build a supply for when she goes to daycare in August.

Currently, I am feeding her and pumping afterwards. She feeds from one side and I pump the other, as well as pump whatever I can out of the side she ate. I also started taking Fenugreek to try to up the amount I pump. I can pump anywhere from 1-3 oz from one side but can also get as much as 5 oz when I do both.

I was just browsing a bunch of topics and saw that you should pump for 5 minutes after your milk stops flowing (which I didn't know!) so I will have to start paying attention to that!

Any other advice for this first time pumper?

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
June 27th, 2011, 02:23 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi - I'm Charlotte. I pumped for both my boys while they were at daycare ... but I've been retired for a good year now.

I have to say it sounds like you're doing a great job!!

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about your stash at this point .... you could find that if you pump too much while she's still so young and your supply is building, you might create an oversupply. Some would say that's a good thing, but it could cause issues with your BF'ing. In theory, you only need enough to get through the first day of daycare and then after that every day you'll pump what you need for the next day. Make sense? If I were you I wouldn't bother pumping more than once a day .... you'll probably get the most first thing in the morning. Make sure you pump whenever your DH gives a bottle!

Some people find that they have a lipase problem so when they defrost their milk the first time, they find it tastes soapy. You might want to defrost some in a few weeks to make sure it's ok. My other tips for when you return to work is to put the pump gear in the fridge between pumps so you don't have to wash it every time and depending on your job, I recommend putting pumping in your diary so you always have time to do it. I believe the more regular you are the more successful you'll be.

Hope that helps and welcome to the board

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
welcome, your daughter in beautiful

June 27th, 2011, 07:57 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlette View Post
Hi - I'm Charlotte. I pumped for both my boys while they were at daycare ... but I've been retired for a good year now.

I have to say it sounds like you're doing a great job!!

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about your stash at this point .... you could find that if you pump too much while she's still so young and your supply is building, you might create an oversupply. Some would say that's a good thing, but it could cause issues with your BF'ing. In theory, you only need enough to get through the first day of daycare and then after that every day you'll pump what you need for the next day. Make sense? If I were you I wouldn't bother pumping more than once a day .... you'll probably get the most first thing in the morning. Make sure you pump whenever your DH gives a bottle!

Some people find that they have a lipase problem so when they defrost their milk the first time, they find it tastes soapy. You might want to defrost some in a few weeks to make sure it's ok. My other tips for when you return to work is to put the pump gear in the fridge between pumps so you don't have to wash it every time and depending on your job, I recommend putting pumping in your diary so you always have time to do it. I believe the more regular you are the more successful you'll be.

Hope that helps and welcome to the board
Thanks for all the advice!! It's kind of a relief because I've been pumping all day trying to build a stash. I think I'll cut back to two times - when DH feeds her and first thing in the morning - like you said.

The only reason I do want a small stash is because I'm a teacher. Although I do have some time throughout the day, between meetings and things that I have to get done, there are probably going to be more than a few days where I'm not able to pump consistently and I just don't want the pressure of having to pump enough for her for the next day and not having any back up milk.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
June 28th, 2011, 02:52 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiramillek View Post
The only reason I do want a small stash is because I'm a teacher. Although I do have some time throughout the day, between meetings and things that I have to get done, there are probably going to be more than a few days where I'm not able to pump consistently and I just don't want the pressure of having to pump enough for her for the next day and not having any back up milk.
I understand where you're coming from. It's much easier when you have a "desk job" that you can plan around pumping and not the other way around,

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 28th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was the same way...I went back to work for awhile in a Children's Hospital ER after my first was born and couldn't plan to pump every 3 hours, I had to work around patients so their were days I'd be able to pump 3or 4x in 12 hours or I would only be able to pump twice. I liked have a few days extra stash "just in case"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search