New Here

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 02:35 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Ashley, I had my first baby boy, Nicholas, on Monday June 20th. Really nothing about labor, delivery, or breastfeeding has gone how I imagined. We had a dramatic birth, he was hugging his cord, so he lost oxygen every time I contracted and he got stuck in the birth canal until they cut me after 2 hours of pushing. He was blue when he came out and not breathing on his own. He was born at 7:32pm, I didn't hold him til after midnight and didn't breastfeed til 2:30am. He initially latched very well, for about 3 feedings, then he would not latch. He had jaundice so they couldn't wait for him to learn how and gave him formula. A few tries later we used a nipple guard and he latched right on.

I've still needed the nipple guard, and honestly, it hurts me a lot more than pumping does. He bites me all the time. He will feed for 2+ hours and still be hungry. All of it has been very overwhelming for me, and starting to depress me. So I've decided I want to just exclusively pump. I've been able to get about 1.5-2.5oz every time I pump, a couple times I've got 3oz. I was told to take fenugreek to increase my milk production. Does anyone have any personal experience with it? Is there anything else I could/should try? I do want to build a supply to have when I go to work.

From my understanding there is no difference between pumping and feeding at the breast, correct? However, the lactation consultant and the people at wic gave me a hard time and said I "have" to keep trying to get him to take my nipple. But why? Anyone else run into this?

Look forward to chatting with everyone!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Last edited by angelsailor288; June 29th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
June 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took Fenugreek for a couple of days and noticed a significant increase in my supply. They say you have to take at least 6 pills a day but you can read up more about it on kellymom.

It did give me cramps, similar to the cramps I got right after birth when she'd feed, and it gave her and I really bad and TMI, smelly, gas. But it worked! I realized I didn't need a huge stash right now so I quit taking it for now, especially since it was giving her such bad gas.

I don't see anything wrong with pumping and feeding him with a bottle. Someone is always going to tell you "what to do" and I've learned to just ignore them and do what I think is best for myself and for baby.

I did want to just let you know to hang in there! It has been only 9 days since he's been born and they say the first 6 weeks of BFing are the hardest! I am using a nipple shield as well and it was painful at first but I just used lots of Lanolin and eventually, it got better!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
June 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiramillek View Post
I don't see anything wrong with pumping and feeding him with a bottle. Someone is always going to tell you "what to do" and I've learned to just ignore them and do what I think is best for myself and for baby.
same here people will always tell you what they think is best, but that may or may not work for you - including your breasts responding better to baby than a pump . . . I've been told that one a lot. But it just does not work that way for me. Some people need a picture of their baby or a blanket to smell, whatever, to get the milk flowing. None of that made any difference for me. Everybody is different

The best advice I can give - I have no experience with fenugreek - is to use your pump to mimic your LO's eating schedule. If they eat, you need to pump, including the middle of the night
June 29th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Until your milk is established (around 12 weeks) you'll need to pump about every 3 hours around the clock. I EP only because due to circumstances my almost 5 month old won't nurse. I pump every 3 hours and once at night. Eat oatmeal (not the instant kind) it will help too along with mothers milk tea. Feel free to pm me if you need anything, I been pretty much only pumping since he was born...

June 30th, 2011, 01:36 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry that you've had such a rough time. I hope that things will get easier.

Generally whether you're EP'ing of BF'ing the rule is supply and demand. The more you tell your body that it needs to make milk, the more it will make. So ..... pump or feed frequently ... even at night. Keep drinking lots of fluids and eat ltos too. It takes energy to make milk

As someone who only pumped because I wanted to keep BF'ing after returning to work, I have huge respect for anyone who has the perseverence and dedication to pump. You might want to stop reading now because I'm going to give you some advice if your do want to give BF'ing another go

For me ... BF'ing was just easier. We always had food ... there was no cleaning or washing or planning. I could do something on the spur of the moment and not have to worry about having to pump while out and about or rushing home to get more milk.

Unfortunately eating for 2 hours is just what newborns do. I know it feels like you're tied to the couch but it's natures way of establishing your supply and getting your BF'ing relationship going. If you BF on demand, you won't need to worry about fenugreek or pumping or anything else.

Having said that .... if you're getting 3 oz when he's 10 days old that's amazing. His tummy is maybe the size of a golf ball, so 3 oz will easily fill him up. A lot of babies wouldn't be drinking that much in a go until several weeks old.

In terms of the "biting" and pain remember that both you and he have to learn what to do. I always thought that BF'ing would be the most natural and easy thing ever but with my first, it wasn't "easy" or pain free until he was 7 weeks old and I discovered that just by using a different hold, it suddenly because easier.

I'm sorry for the BF'ing push. I know it's not the advice you were after so I apologise for that, Good Luck though!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 30th, 2011, 07:39 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm sorry you've had such a rough time! BFing was sooo hard for me for the first 3 months or so. It was very painful and it seemed like all she did was nurse. I'm so happy I stuck with it because by 4 months or so it became so much easier. Most people find it gets easier much sooner than I did We also used a nipple shield in the beginning and weaned off it by 3 weeks (around then?). There were some days where I felt raw and pumping was more comfortable than nursing, so she'd get a bottle for every other feeding. I do want to say it's still early so don't totally discount nursing yet. Give it a chance, try different positions, as he gets bigger and learns how to nurse better it should get easier. Some disagree, but I think exclusively pumping is more work and much harder than just breastfeeding. I only pumped at work and I struggled with just that.

June 30th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice ladies. You all make a good point about nursing... I hadn't thought through the idea of having to go somewhere and not being able to pump and such. Today, after having a couple days break from nursing, I picked a time where I didn't feel rushed and let him nurse. It hurt quite a bit at first but then he eased up and it was great. He spent about 40 minutes and we both fell asleep, so it was nice I will just keep doing it at times I don't feel the need to rush.

July 1st, 2011, 06:55 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Glad it worked out better. I forgot to mention before that his hat in your siggy is just SO SO adorable!

July 2nd, 2011, 02:25 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
Thanks for all the advice ladies. You all make a good point about nursing... I hadn't thought through the idea of having to go somewhere and not being able to pump and such. Today, after having a couple days break from nursing, I picked a time where I didn't feel rushed and let him nurse. It hurt quite a bit at first but then he eased up and it was great. He spent about 40 minutes and we both fell asleep, so it was nice I will just keep doing it at times I don't feel the need to rush.
I'm pleased you had a good experience. KUP!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Erin. One of the ladies in my DDC made it, she has some awesome stuff! ~Lina.Beana~ Its too bad its so hot out or I'd have him wearing it more often.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search